Can I open the liftgate window without a remote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I open the liftgate window without a remote?

Lebowski

Reaction score
City, State
Crestwood, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4x4
I just bought a used '05 Explorer from a Chevy dealer and all they gave me was one key and no remotes. I already found out that I'm going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed. Now I'm wondering if I can open the liftgate window without a remote. The owner's manual only mentions using the remote. Is there another way? Thanks in advance....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Just to the right of the handle that opens the liftgate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open;)

I just discovered this yesterday; I was really happy about it.

I already found out that I'm going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed.

Why are you going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed???

Yes. Just to the right of the handle that opens the liftgate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open;)

Thanks for the info. Why isn't that in the owner's manual? :rolleyes:

Why are you going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed???

From some of the threads I've read here a Ford dealer will charge between $100 and $180 to program a key since I only have one and can't program it myself. That seems excessive to me. I'm going to try to find a locksmith that will do it for $50 or less. I bought two keys on Ebay ($20 including shipping for both from a seller called "keygirl") and my local hardware store will either cut them for free or a couple of bucks each. Then I'll look for a couple of remotes which are also pretty cheap on Ebay....

Deff look into the locksmiths - I found one that did for $54 key and all. Screw Ford and they're $95.

There's a button for that??? Really?????? Damn - I'm going out in the dark to check!

Deff look into the locksmiths - I found one that did for $54 key and all. Screw Ford and they're $95.

There's a button for that??? Really?????? Damn - I'm going out in the dark to check![/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Did you find the button?

YES!!!! Son of a bit**!!! All these years of thing Ford was completely retarded! I always kept one of my factory remotes in the console for one of the 5 times I've ever used it. You're my hero!

YES!!!! Son of a bit**!!! All these years of thing Ford was completely retarded! I always kept one of my factory remotes in the console for one of the 5 times I've ever used it. You're my hero!

Now that's funny, made my day:D Glad to be of help!

I was wondering the same thing!!!!! This board rocks!
Thanks guys
Can you just program the key yourself?

Can you just program the key yourself?

On-Board Programming Method "C"

for Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key....

1. This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minute delays involved while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computer to accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of two keys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individually by following the instructions for adding duplicate keys (below).
If you want to add a key....

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

A hardware store near me recently added a sign saying they can now make and program the special keys (so you don't need to go to the dealer). I haven't had time to ask how much or whether they can do it with just one key.

There was also a thread here recently, someone was trying to tap into the switch wires (on the rear hatch window switch) to add a remote (hardwired) switch in the cab. Never heard if he finished.

Mike

Hi Limited 02,

When you say” Just to the right of the handle that opens the lift gate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open”

Where is this handle that opens the lift gate? Is it on the driver’s side or is it in the trunk?

(The lift gate which is the 5th door always opens just the same way as other doors do – but where is this handle)

I have been trying to find out How to open the rear-window glass without using the remote.

Thanks.

I am shocked so many people werent aware of the button. the rubber button is located to the right of the back hatch handle which is above the license plate take your hand to the top right hand side of the license plate and you will feel the button up under the "license plate finisher"

Thanks! That makes another one of us that didn't know this button existed.

I just called the wife and told her, and she said "I don't believe it, I'm gonna go look". So, with me on the phone, she walked out to the garage, and sure enough, I hear this "click", then "son of a b**th".

Too funny!

Greg

More people would know about this button if Ford had mentioned it in the owner's manual, but they didn't, so people have to find out about it by word of mouth (or web sites like this).

I called my local Ford dealer which is 1/4 mile from my house and they will program a key (that I bring them which is already cut) for $42.50. A locksmith in Louisville said he'd do it for $25 and another one said he'd do it for $35 so I guess it's cheaper here than other parts of the country. I'll probably get it done at the Ford dealer across the road from me instead of making a 60 mile round trip into Louisville. The two keys I bought on Ebay will hopefully arrive tomorrow so I can take care of this tomorrow afternoon....:cool:

Damn! Been *****ing about that window hatch for 5yrs!!! It's there on my 2004 as well.

Thank you!!!

so cool, but yea, its in my '04 owners manual. . .buried somewhere. . .
keypad opens it too, after the code hit 5.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I knew it had to be there somewhere, I had faith that Ford wouldn't omit something so critical. So when my wife and I left the dealership the day we bought it, we stopped at the store on the way home and needed to open the glass. Couldn't find it, called our sales guy and he knew right where it was. Probably wasn't the first time he'd been asked.

Back