All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

Oddly. I found this post about an hour after I called a dealer about this same issue. Recently bought a 96 XLT. Has the keypad, but, had no idea about the code, and, the place I bought it couldn't give me the info on the original owner (one owner vehicle).
Believe it or not, I called a dealership (Paradise Ford in Cocoa, Florida) and asked them how much they charged to set the code on the keypad. They sent me to the service department, and, Service Manager there told me where to find it. NO charge. Also told me, if I couldn't find it, bring it in, and they would be able to get it for me, for no charge. HOLY COW!! Integrity at a dealership!!

On another note...FordsRfun posted about his keypad not illuminating. Mine works fine, with the factory code, and now my own. It does not, however, illuminate. Is this as simple as replacing a bulb? If so, does the bulb have to be unsoldered? If so, I may just do the LED DIY that is posted. Thanks.
Jes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just have to give a big shout out to Xan, for the OP. I was told the code was in that area but without your specific instructions, I never would have found it. (Had already looked several times in that same area LOL) I had to remove a screw and maneuver the control box around but with the help of a flashlight, I had my access code in less than 5 minutes!! Thanks tons. :thumbsup:

I bought a used 98 explorer that has the keyless pad on the drivers door and I got both remotes with the vehicle. The remotes lock/unlock the doors so what is the point in using the keypad to open the doors? That isn't supposed to sound smart ass like i'm just wondering if I need to beable to use this for anything, because I currently don't.

I bought a used 98 explorer that has the keyless pad on the drivers door and I got both remotes with the vehicle. The remotes lock/unlock the doors so what is the point in using the keypad to open the doors? That isn't supposed to sound smart ass like i'm just wondering if I need to beable to use this for anything, because I currently don't.

Well, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that's ever locked a set of keys in the car. And if I had a ten dollar bill for every time one of my ex-wives, or my girlfriend or daughter did it, I'd be driving a brand new Mustang.

So, that could be one benefit of it. And, if you take part in outdoor activities, for instance, I surf, then, you can leave your keys hidden in the vehicle and just use the pad to get in. Yes, I have been stupid enough to leave my key in my pocket and not realize it until I hopped up on a board and wondered, "What the he....OH, (insert desired expletive here)!"

So, it does have a benefit beyond the "cool factor."

Yea those are good points. I guess I will try to figure mine out now haha.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions.

When your vehicle was newly purchased from the dealer it came with a card in the owner’s manual packet that had the keypad code on it. The packet is often lost and/or discarded over time and as the vehicle trades owners the code to the Keyless Entry is lost. Ford Dealers wants some big money to get the code for you by plugging in their computer to retrieve the code or using the following method. Luckily there is a much easier and cheaper way for you to get the code and you do not need any tools or automotive knowledge. I’ll show you how and where to find the code and how to reset the Keyless Entry back to the factory code or your personal code number.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions. The factory code is also printed on a label which is installed on the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module. This is the module that controls the keyless entry system. It is located in the left rear quarter behind the removable panel (see photo). You will need to turn the two thumb screws counter clockwise and take the plastic panel off to be able to see the unit. A flashlight may be helpful in seeing the code. You are looking for the module and the 5 digit code on it like the one shown below.
View attachment 42920
View attachment 42921
Now that you’ve got the code I’ll tell you how to use the Keyless entry and set-up your own code.Make sure when pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad you press the middle of the buttons to ensure good contact with the controls.
Programming your own personal entry code
1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when first digit is pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous one.
Your personal code does not replace the factory-set code. You can use either code to unlock your vehicle. Each time you set a new personal code the module will erase the previous one in favor of the new code. The factory-set code can not be erased.
Erasing your own personal code or a prior owners code and leaving only the factory-set code
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step one 1.
3. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time within five seconds of step two.
The system will now only respond to the factory-set code.
Unlocking the doors with the Keyless Entry System
1. Enter either the factory-set code or the personal code (Each digit must be pressed within five seconds of the prior digit). The interior lights will illuminate as soon as the first valid digit is pressed.
2. To unlock all the doors, enter the factory set code or a personal code and press the 3/4 control within five seconds of the drivers door unlocking.
Locking the doors wit the Keyless Entry System
1. Press 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time. The 5-digit code does not have to be entered to lock the doors.
Deactivating/Activating Auto-lock
1. Enter the five 5-digit code.
2. Press and hold 7/8 control.
3. Press and release 3/4 control while holding 7/8 control.
4. Release 7/8 control.
The horn will chirp once if auto-lock was deactivated or twice if auto-lock was activated.
To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.
looked in there didn't see it, will try again. thanks

1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when first digit is pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1....
Everyone else seems to understand, but I dont...Where is the keypad??
Is it on the drivers door, (windows button?). If so how do u press "1/2 control"..

Pleas educate a Swedish guy :)

Thanx

EDIT: Found that its not anything that European models have

keyless entry code

I pulled off the left rear panel cover on my 2001 sport, and the box/code is not there. Just the seat belt roller thing. Any idea where the code is on the sport?

We have an o1 sport also and my husband looked all day long for that code and we finally found it and it is under the defroster vent,, and it's very simple to do,, all the other places that they say to look wasn't right on ours, thanks for the advice, so before you give up please check under the defroster vent

Thank you so much for showing me this. I have always wanted to use the door code and now i can. I found it with no problems..awsome!!!!

Thanks great information!, my door locks are missing from being reposessed from previouse owner, now I can lock my doors. Thanks again... Mike

Hello. . .new guy here. So much useful info. Recently bought an 01 Mounty and thanx to all for info on keyless entry info (RAP Location, programning etc... One more thing though. How do I keep ALL interior light from lighting when keypad is pressed. I am thinking of putting in some JL Audio Subs in the back but noticed that lights come on just by pressing ANY button on the keypad. Can this be bypassed?

Where would I find the code on a 2001 Sport Trac? I have the pad on the drivers door but I could never find the code in the book or anything. I have stuck my hand out the window and pressed a bunch of buttons randomly and could only get it to lock, not unlock.

1997 Explorer XLT

Have the keypad on the drivers door and need to know where to find the code for this keypad. The tire jack is located in the rear well which is located inside the cargo area under the rear seat area. The spare tire is mounted under the frame in the back. There is no access panel with screws in the rear cargo area like some of the posts on here. Any idea where the module might be located? This has the fold down rear seats that lay flat in the back.
Thanks

I saw this last night and it worked perfectly today. Thanks.

Awesome post! Dealer tried to get me for a big price to find the code:mad:

Can I put a keyless entry into my Explorer?

I have a 97 XLT that did not come with keyless entry. No keypad on the door, no module in behind the jack compartment. It does have power locks, and if you turn the key to unlock on the Driver's door twice, all the doors unlock. I would love to put the keyless entry in. I figure if the factory could put one into an identical vehicle, why can't I? (apart from a few million in working capital, that is)

I have seen many Explorers in junkyards with the module staring seductively at me from the jack compartment, but I am not sure what all I need to get to pull this off. Obviously, I need the module, and presumably the wiring harness leading forward from that. Are the door internals any different? Would I need to get the keypad for the Driver's door, or could I get by without that, assuming I program a fob? Any other tricks involved?

i have one of those too,and it seems to have an alarm/lock system : if i plug a fuse in a module placed behind the panel located under steering wheel, horn starts beeping and lights flashin, but remote wont work and i need to unplug the fuse to stop it.Have you checked that module?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wanted to know if u can tell me where are the fuse or relays for the keyless

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions.

When your vehicle was newly purchased from the dealer it came with a card in the owner’s manual packet that had the keypad code on it. The packet is often lost and/or discarded over time and as the vehicle trades owners the code to the Keyless Entry is lost. Ford Dealers wants some big money to get the code for you by plugging in their computer to retrieve the code or using the following method. Luckily there is a much easier and cheaper way for you to get the code and you do not need any tools or automotive knowledge. I’ll show you how and where to find the code and how to reset the Keyless Entry back to the factory code or your personal code number.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions. The factory code is also printed on a label which is installed on the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module. This is the module that controls the keyless entry system. It is located in the left rear quarter behind the removable panel (see photo). You will need to turn the two thumb screws counter clockwise and take the plastic panel off to be able to see the unit. A flashlight may be helpful in seeing the code. You are looking for the module and the 5 digit code on it like the one shown below.
View attachment 42920
View attachment 42921
Now that you’ve got the code I’ll tell you how to use the Keyless entry and set-up your own code.Make sure when pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad you press the middle of the buttons to ensure good contact with the controls.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous one.
Your personal code does not replace the factory-set code. You can use either code to unlock your vehicle. Each time you set a new personal code the module will erase the previous one in favor of the new code. The factory-set code can not be erased.
Erasing your own personal code or a prior owners code and leaving only the factory-set code
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step one 1.
3. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time within five seconds of step two.
The system will now only respond to the factory-set code.
Unlocking the doors with the Keyless Entry System
1. Enter either the factory-set code or the personal code (Each digit must be pressed within five seconds of the prior digit). The interior lights will illuminate as soon as the first valid digit is pressed.
2. To unlock all the doors, enter the factory set code or a personal code and press the 3/4 control within five seconds of the drivers door unlocking.
Locking the doors wit the Keyless Entry System
1. Press 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time. The 5-digit code does not have to be entered to lock the doors.
Deactivating/Activating Auto-lock
1. Enter the five 5-digit code.
2. Press and hold 7/8 control.
3. Press and release 3/4 control while holding 7/8 control.
4. Release 7/8 control.
The horn will chirp once if auto-lock was deactivated or twice if auto-lock was activated.
To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

Back