• Register Today It's free!

m5od compatability

steve53

Reaction score
City, State
wasilla, ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xl 5sp
Hi there. I just picked up a m5od tranny that I was told came from a 1992 f150. Will this tranny's bellhousing bolt up to the 4.0? And, the f150 was a 2wheel drive, will I be able to replace the rear output housing from my 4wd tranny? Are the output shafts the same. Thanks for any input.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it will not bolt up. The rear housing as well as the output shaft must be changed to make it a 4wd tranny.

There's two sizes of the Mazda 5-speed, M5R1 and M5R2. Dead Link Removed M5R1 is used on Rangers and Explorers, M5R2 is used on full size fords. I have one in my F250.

....And I have one in my ranger, but it's a 2.3L...;)

tbars, you have the R1. I have the R1 in my Ranger.

But I have the R2 in my F250.

...That is correct, and one of the first things I had learned about my Ranger...:D

...Borrowed info...;)

Mazda M50D-R1 5-Speed Code "M":

This is a top shift fully synchronized transmission. This has a light duty aluminum case and has a rectangular shape casting ribs with a large top cover. The R-2 is known for leaking oil from a rubber plug in the top cover. You should replace the rubber plug with a steel Dorman cup plug P/N 555-108 or Dana P/N 219-3052. You will need 3 plugs. These transmissions often melt down due to the oil loss caused by these plugs.

Many owners have went with synthetic transmission fluid hoping to extend the life of the transmission. Synthetic fluid handles high temperatures and pressures better then conventional fluids.

The hydraulic clutch, slave cylinder/throwout bearing is another item you should pay close attention to. After time, the slave cylinder fails to release the clutch completely. If you are having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse while stationary or if your truck creeps forward with the clutch pedal depressed the slave cylinder/throwout bearing is probably at fault. Unfortunately there is no easy fix here as the transmission must be removed to replace the combination slave cylinder and throwout bearing.

Mazda M50D-R1HD & Mazda M50D-R4

There is some confusion about these two transmissions and some believe they are one in the same. The M50D-R4 is said to bear no resemblance to the M50D-R1. The new model has a detachable bellhousing, a main case and extension housing, all made of aluminum. The mainshaft and countershaft are supported by tapered bearings with shims under the races to set endplay. All speeds are fully synchronized with helical-cut gears. The speed gears all run on needle bearings on the shafts. Gone is the removable shift cover, and all shift components are housed in the main case. Mercon ATF is the lubricant fill specified.

M50D-R1_image.gif

That's interesting. That's odd that they would only use it on the 2002 4 doors and instead of the M5ODR1-HDs. To my knowledge they still use the R1-HDs in the Rangers also. Have the R4s been around longer than the R1-HDs?

...I don't know..:dunno:...But one thing I do know...Happy Birthday..:party:...:chug:

Back