• Register Today It's free!

stock factory amp location

mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
where is the stock factory amplifier location in a 1994 explorer with CD player? premium, not audiophile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...it should be on the passenger side rear, behind the big plastic panel...:scratch:

ranger

how about a 96 ranger with the premium sound does anyone know where the amp is on that i put an aftermarket radio in and it works fine just cant get the thing quiet enough to think with both amps its kinda anoying so i wanna bypass it but i cant seem to find anywhere that tells me where the darn thing is and i dont really wanna tear the whole truck apart

thanks,
Jon

how about a 96 ranger with the premium sound does anyone know where the amp is on that i put an aftermarket radio in and it works fine just cant get the thing quiet enough to think with both amps its kinda anoying so i wanna bypass it but i cant seem to find anywhere that tells me where the darn thing is and i dont really wanna tear the whole truck apart

thanks,
Jon

From the service manual:
Radio Amplifier, Premium Sound, Ranger
Removal and Installation

Remove RH cowl side trim panel.

Disconnect two wiring connectors to radio amplifier (18B849).

Remove two screws securing radio amplifier to cowl side sheet metal and remove radio amplifier.

For installation, follow removal procedures in reverse order.

where exactly is the amplifier... in the cab or engine compartment..... i have been looking for mine and all i found was the air bag module behind the kick panel on the passenger side... i need help

in the cab, rear of the truck, rear passengers side panel in the back.

I'm hoping it makes more sense to ask this here than open a new thread, it is very much on topic:

'94 Explorer 2 Door, Premium, not audiophile. I am installing a Pioneer radio in a week or so.

I have ordered both the regular harness kit, and one that bypasses the amplifier ( Scosche FDK2B High Power Head Unit Replacement Kit to bypass factory Ford JBL/Premium Sound Amplifier ).

So, I will ultimately have to get to the amplifier. On the 2 door explorer, the passenger side interior panel is one rather massive piece from the back of the passenger door to the tailgate, floor to ceiling. There is a speaker mounted in it, and it feels like I could get the speaker grill off if I pulled hard enough. There is a pocket near the tailgate that currently holds my cargo net. It looks like that could be removed, but I didn't see any screws for it, so maybe not.

I am hoping REALLY hard that the amp is not behind this panel because so much is involved to get this panel off. There is a seatbelt mount, window mount, trim, and a fair number of screws with plastic covers I am sure to destroy trying to remove them. If I did all this and the amp were somewhere else because it is a 2 door, it would be a sad moment. Can someone confirm this for the '94 explorer 2 door?

Edit: I found pictures of it behind the plastic panel over the top of the right rear wheel well. I may be able to get away with taking out a hand full of screws and peel the panel back far enough to install the amp jumper. We shall see in a few weeks.

Edit: Two weeks later, to get to the amp, you will need to remove a handful of push-pin fasteners. They are like plastic buttons with a ribbed pin, and I did not find a good way to get them out without at least partially destroying them in some way. They are no longer available from Ford, and were not obviously available from aftermarket sources. So be super careful, and maybe you will do better than I. It may be easier in warmer weather, it was 25F today. At least on the 2-door, there are a handful of philips head screws, two torx that hold the window latch, and one big torx for the seatbelt shoulder anchor. Basically keep taking out fasteners and peel back the plastic panel until you can reach the amp. The top connector is a breeze. The bottom one, not so much. I had to take out the two top bolts holding the amp to turn it so I could see the connection. It was hard to get loose, hope yours is easier.

Back