• Register Today It's free!

Problem with 2010 Escape Liftgate

MustangGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomeryville, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Escape
Hello. This is my first post on this forum, and I need some help. I have a 2010 Escape on which the liftgate stopped opening. The glass opens fine, but the main gate won't. I have already gone through the following thread, and although it was helpful, it did not solve my issue.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372270

I took the time to replace the motor as suggested in that thread, thinking that it was going bad. Didn't fix it. I then tried replacing the switch. Didn't fix it. I then broke down and bought an entire new latch assembly, actuator and all. Didn't fix it. I have since tested continuity on things, and determined that the "door open" sensor is showing as a short when the door is closed, and an open when open, which seems fine. The only thing that seems weird, however, is that whenever I reconnect the plug to the "door open" sensor, it sends the 12v to the actuator to unlock the door, which causes the latch to release. Pressing the switch does not send the 12v. I have tested the switch, both the old one and new one I bought, and both are open until pressed, at which time they show a short. I'm not sure at this point what is wrong with it, as all components seem to be working as intended. The only thing I can think of is a short somewhere in the wiring. That is the only thing I can think of to explain why the circuit closes when I disconnect and reconnect the "door open" sensor. Basically, it seems that the circuit is in a state in which it thinks that the switch is being held down, so whenever you disconnect and reconnect the leads to the "door open" sensor, it sends the voltage. It doesn't send the 12v when I reconnect the switch or actuator, though, only the "door open" sensor. Can anyone help me? I've been trying to avoid putting it in the shop, but if I keep sinking money into it on parts, I'm going to get to the point where I'd have been better off with the dealer from the jump.

Forgot to add, the dashboard is showing the liftgate to be open at all times, even when closed.

Hello. This is my first post on this forum, and I need some help. I have a 2010 Escape on which the liftgate stopped opening. The glass opens fine, but the main gate won't. I have already gone through the following thread, and although it was helpful, it did not solve my issue...

Welcome to the forum, MustangGuy. As you mentioned, it might be time to get diagnosis from your dealership. What's the current mileage on your Escape?

Crystal

Back