traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Hey all I currently own a 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer, and my wife has a 1997 Tbird. We're considering moving to Heber AZ after I retire in a year or so. What does this have to do with Escapes? I told my wife that before we moved to Heber (elevation 6,500ft) we'd have to replace the Tbird with something with AWD/4WD (to get her through the snow) and decent mileage (for her trips to see family in Phoenix). I am open to two possibilities. An Escape or a Subaru Outback. So what should I know about the Escape? what kind of mileage can we expect? strengths? weaknesses?.....

I currently own a 2012 Escape Limited V6 AWD and owned a 2006 Mercury Mariner V6 AWD. This basically represents the 1st and 2nd generations.

Both are great cars. The V6 is a good motor. The 1st gen have a 4 speed auto and the 2nd gen have a 6 speed auto. The 2nd gen has been tuned for more power and feels much more peppy. And with more gears, it runs quieter at speed because it's spinning fewer rpms. I also believe the 2nd gen has some additional quietness built in.

The AWD is really good. The system engages the rear at every acceleration- wet or dry, wheel spin or not. It then fades it out as speeds increase and is typically FWD by 35-40 mph. I've never been stuck. I've never been pointed in a direction I didn't want. My 1st gen didn't have traction control and even still behaved quite nicely.

Both vehicles are solid. No squeaks or rattles. The suspension is firm and quiet (although my dad has a 2011ish Mariner and has some kind of noise in the front on occasion).

1st and 2nd gens have the lift gate window that opens- I believe it's fixed on the 3rd gen. I like that feature. The weather seal in the 2nd gen is known to leak which then causes the hatch unlock mechanism to fail (I replaced both this spring). Good replacement video in YouTube by a guy named the FordTechMackuloco.

As far as gas mileage, 18 in the city and up to 25 on the highway.

The rear spark plugs on the 1st gen are a pain to do. You need to remove the intake manifold. But I could still probably do it in about 2 hours. I haven't done the plugs on the 2nd gen yet.

A good Escape forum is escape-city.com. This subsection is pretty much dead on this forum.

Thank you for the very detailed evaluation. I'll take everything into consideration. I'm leaning toward the escape over the Subaru mainly cause I'm a Ford guy. And I'll probably get a 1st gen for cost reasons.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

A good Escape forum is escape-city.com. This subsection is pretty much dead on this forum.

There is the nugget of gold I was looking for. Thanks:thumbsup:

Back