• Register Today It's free!

BEST sounding muffler, 4.0 OHV?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
This is probably like beating a dead horse...but...I want an aftermarket muffler on my 99 4.0 OHV...I don't want to sound like a Honda, either. What do you guys recommend?

The wife won't let me spend the $ on a cat-back, so I'm limited to just the muffler (I spend gobs of $ on hunting season!!!).

My '88 Ranger, 2.9L has an 80 series Flowmaster (I THINK, as best as I can remember) and she sounds GREAT!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C'mon, no one has any opinions?! After reading older posts, I'm leaning towards the Delta 40 Flowmaster...any naysayers?

I have a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, stock piping and a 3in tip It's pretty much dirrrtty ;P all for 90$

ACTUALLY, I just heard some sound clips from Mustang 4.0's with the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler...sounds AWESOME...I swear, you'd think they had an 8 under the hood.

I'm really impressed.

I have flowmaster 40 delta flow. Sounds pretty mean for a 4.0 and not abnoxiously loud.Sounds like a v8, except when next to a f150 with cherrry bombs.lol

We run a high flow cat, no resonator and a flowmaster 40 on our '92 4.0 ohv.

I really like how it sounds.. and I've had people ask me about it, so it must really sound good :)..

It does get a little cabin drone at aroun 2900 rpms..

As for pipes.. its 3" to the cat (the cat was moved back 1 ft), and 2.5 the rest of the way.. I don't know how much difference each piece makes, but all together it sounds good.

~Mark

Actually, I was just looking it up and it appears as though the "American Thunder" comes in exhaust systems only. I'm thinking a Delta 40 it is.

MANIAK...are you running a Delta 40 or Super 40? I have the understanding that the Super 40 is louder than the Delta 40?

MANIAK...are you running a Delta 40 or Super 40? I have the understanding that the Super 40 is louder than the Delta 40?

You know, I have no idea.. I didn't ask.. I just told him to replace my old broken "turbo" muffler.. he said how about a flowmaster 40, I said yes.. and I got it..

If I know how to tell them apart I'd go look at it for ya (easy to see).. but I don't know how to tell them apart. I'll look around on the 'net for pic... if I can see how they are different I'll let ya know.

~Mark

Hah, I just told my wife one of the things she could get me for XMas was the Flowmaster...she gave me this stupid look and said, "are you kidding me? That is SO worthless". She hates what I want to spend "our" money on. I said, honey, it's only 80 friggin bucks! She thinks EVERYTHING I want to spend money on is a waste, heh. Is there ANY way around it?!

I want two things...hunting stuff and truck stuff. And tools. That's a given.

i've got a dynomax super turbo i pulled off my nissan pulsar project. it isn't the truck size muffler (its a universal) but it doesn't sound too bad. the tailpipe is just straight out the muffler right now, and its a bit loud when the cats warm up between 1500 and 2500 rpms it drones.

hopefully when i reroute the tailpipe out the back and side that will go away. not bad sounding tho. when everythings cold in the morning it sounds alright.

i havesome sort of flowmaster, 40 series i think. sounds pretty good. the tone gets pretty high in high rev's though.

also have a 4.0 with a gibson exhaust. great sound, really quiet inside but loud outside. it's got a deep idle and a throaty rev sound

cherry bomb muffler i've heard and it sounds pretty good. really deep.

i did have a v-force muffler for a while. really deep sound. but really really laud

also have a 4.0 with a gibson exhaust. great sound, really quiet inside but loud outside. it's got a deep idle and a throaty rev sound

x2

hooker max flow

cherry bomb extreme sounds hella loud on my 96 ex sport

i had a flowmaster on my 04 sport trac, but it still didnt sound good so i just had the muffler shop cut out the muffler, it sounds very good, nice clean sounding, and it has alot of pop if you down shift it.

Thought I'd take a couple shots of me driving around in my backyard.

This is a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow on a 4.0L OHV Explorer

Kinda stupid, but whatever. :p

Flowmaster

I to am in the same boat. I want something deep but I want to stay clear of a lot of cabin noise. I can't decide between a borla or the flowmaster. Not a big fan of the magnaflow or cherry bomb

I to am in the same boat. I want something deep but I want to stay clear of a lot of cabin noise. I can't decide between a borla or the flowmaster. Not a big fan of the magnaflow or cherry bomb

May I recommend the Delta 40 Flowmaster, almost no resonance noise (cabin noise) until you really step on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back