Solved - Fuse Box Diagram | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Fuse Box Diagram

Post number 24 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

noruckus

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, OHV
Looking for a link to a fuse box diagram, trying to trouble shoot the windshield wiper washers, have replaced the motor for the washers and no change, so next I want to check the fuses, I know should of started with the fuses first but, so can someone lead me to a diagram or link to the fuse box, just be nice to have a chart to show me what/locations each fuse goes to.
Thanks, Mike
Ps 2000 Explorer XLT 4x4 :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's in the owners manual.
Dead Link Removed

It's in the owners manual.
Dead Link Removed
Thank you for the link, was lucky to get the 1 key to start this vechile, let alone owners manual, (sure i could of bought one,) code to the keyless entry, he had no idea of it, maybe even what that pad of numbers under the door handle was for, did a search on this forum, boom, got it, with out paying the dealer to give it to me.
Sorry for the stupid question, next time I will refer to the owners manual.

Not a stupid question at all. You can also find the service manual on cd or dvd by googling - ford truck cd torrent.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer .. My dash insturmants don't work.. What fuse Should I be looking for.. Someone please help....

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer .. My dash insturmants don't work.. What fuse Should I be looking for.. Someone please help....

In the interior fuse panel fuse #, Rating, Description
11 7.5A Instrument Cluster
15 7.5A Instrument Cluster
25 7.5A Generic Electronic Module (GEM),
Instrument Cluster, Securi-Lock

Also possible power supply and ground wire opens.

Download the owners manual. Fuse locations are in the roadside emergencies section.
Dead Link Removed

So looked at the fuses today, manual lead to to fuse #20, fuse looks good, any thoughts as to what might be the next direction to go in. scucci, you mention power supply and ground wires open, can you give me a little more lead as to what I need to look at for this, am a fairly good weekend mechanic, just hate trying to trouble shoot in the dark, finding /knowing about common problems before starting from forums such as here makes fixing/trouble shooting so much easier, any leads are greatly appreciated.
Mike

Hi, Just today when I stated the truck, noticed that the instrument gauges are all not working, Speedpmeter, Fuel, Temp, ETC.. Think it might be a fuse, I hope...
Check the fuses11,15,25
Check under hood power ditribution box-check fuses and reseat relays.
The service cd shows the following:
CHECK THE POWER TO THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Measure the voltage between instrument cluster Connector C287-8, circuit 640 (R/Y), and ground.

Voltage greater than 10 volts is OK
repair circuit if less than 10 volts

CHECK THE GROUND TO THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Measure the resistance between instrument cluster C287-2, circuit 570 (BK/W), and ground.

Less than 5 ohms is OK
repair circuit if more than 5 ohms

unfortunately those connectors are behind the instrument panel

What exactly is not working or dead? Did this happen suddenly or were you working on the vehicle and then it happened? Are any other systems or devices inoperative?

98 ford instrurment gauges

Hi, Just today when I stated the truck, noticed that the instrument gauges are all not working, Speedpmeter, Fuel, Temp, ETC.. Think it might be a fuse, I hope...

So looked at the fuses today, manual lead to to fuse #20, fuse looks good, any thoughts as to what might be the next direction to go in. scucci, you mention power supply and ground wires open, can you give me a little more lead as to what I need to look at for this, am a fairly good weekend mechanic, just hate trying to trouble shoot in the dark, finding /knowing about common problems before starting from forums such as here makes fixing/trouble shooting so much easier, any leads are greatly appreciated.
Mike

Sorry that was an answer to the other poster's problem. I''ll quote the question from now on.
My manual shows fuse #12 for the washer, check it
Have someone press the washer button while you check for 12 volts at the pump motor connector.
Check for ground connection at pump motor connector.
Try tilting the steering column back and forth while pressing the wash button. The harness is sometimes too tight and tilting the column can pull the connector from the multifunction switch. You might pull the column shrouds and check that the connector is fully seated.
Substitue /reseat washer pump relays.

here are the steps from the diags chart:
The Windshield Washer Pump Is Inoperative

Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch.
Washer pump relays. (Aux box at right front of engine compartment)
Washer pump.
DTC B1450.
DTC B1453.
DTC B1458.
DTC B1460.

Attachments

• 78246324.gif
    78246324.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 669,062
  • 78246325.gif
    78246325.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 112,824
  • 78246326.gif
    78246326.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 99,095

Sorry that was an answer to the other poster's problem. I''ll quote the question from now on.
My manual shows fuse #12 for the washer, check it
Have someone press the washer button while you check for 12 volts at the pump motor connector.

You are right, don't know why I went to fuse #20 after looking at the link to the manual that you gave me, will check the proper fuse in the AM, tend to be a little dyxelex sometimes. See can't even spell the word. lol

Try tilting the steering column back and forth while pressing the wash button. The harness is sometimes too tight and tilting the column can pull the connector from the multifunction switch. You might pull the column shrouds and check that the connector is fully seated.
Substitue /reseat washer pump relays.

here are the steps from the diags chart:
The Windshield Washer Pump Is Inoperative

Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch.
Washer pump relays. (Aux box at right front of engine compartment)
Washer pump.
DTC B1450.
DTC B1453.
DTC B1458.
DTC B1460.

will try the steering column trick also.
please expand on GEM/CTM, and DTC terms or link to full terminology of such abbreviated letters, I've got letters coming out the ying/yang from BMW/Ford and Chevy also.
Sorry for the multiple quote replies, working on how this forum works best also, all these different forums are not quite the same.

Thanks for the help and time scucci.

will try the steering column trick also.
please expand on GEM/CTM, and DTC terms or link to full terminology of such abbreviated letters, I've got letters coming out the ying/yang from BMW/Ford and Chevy also.
Sorry for the multiple quote replies, working on how this forum works best also, all these different forums are not quite the same.

Thanks for the help and time scucci.

GEM - Generic electronics Module
CTM - Central Timer Module
DTC - Diagnostic trouble Code These would be read by a scanner capable of reading Ford Body codes if they are set.

DTC B1450. Wiper Wash/Delay Switch Circuit Failure
DTC B1453. Wiper Wash/Delay Switch Circuit Short To Ground
DTC B1458. Wiper Washer Pump Motor Relay Circuit Failure
DTC B1460. Wiper Washer Pump Motor Relay Coil Circuit Short To Battery

The GEM/CTM incorporates the functions of several different modules into one and offers diagnostics to easily locate and repair concerns affecting the subsystems that it controls.

The GEM/CTM constantly monitors the systems under its control and reports a concern in the form of a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). A DTC can be retrieved with NGS Tester through the communication link.

The GEM/CTM controls the heated backlite and mirror timer. When the rear window defrost switch is pressed, a ten-minute timer is started and the GEM/CTM energizes a relay that provides battery voltage to the heated backlite (and the heated outside rear view mirrors, if equipped).

The GEM/CTM de-energizes the relay when either ten minutes have elapsed, the rear window defrost switch is pressed again, or the ignition switch (11572) is turned to OFF or ACC. The ten-minute timer is temporarily halted if the ignition switch is turned to START, and resumes after the ignition switch is returned to RUN.

The GEM/CTM controls five modes of operation for the front wiper: MIST, INTERVAL (speed-dependent GEM only), LOW, HIGH and WASH.

These modes are active only when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACC position.

The GEM responds to the windshield wiper control commands by interpreting inputs from the steering column seven-position delay/wash and four-position mode select switches. Except when the seven position switch is in interval 1, the speed dependent wipers will compensate for the extra moisture that accumulates on the windshield at higher speeds.

The GEM/CTM relay drivers control three external relays: wiper high/low speed relay, dynamic brake-run relay, and washer pump relay.

NOTE: The GEM does not control the rear washer.

The GEM responds to the rear wiper control commands by interpreting inputs from the rear wiper mode wash switch. There are two modes of operation for the rear wiper: INTERVAL and LOW.

The GEM relay drivers control two external relays: rear wiper up relay, and rear wiper down relay.

The GEM/CTM controls all audible chimes and warning lights. The GEM/CTM performs a prove out on all GEM/CTM controlled warning light miniature bulbs (13466) (except the seat belt and door ajar) by turning on the miniature bulb for two seconds after the ignition switch is turned to RUN from START.

NOTE: The exterior lamps are not part of the battery saver protection, and will remain on even if the GEM/CTM turns the interior lamps off.

The GEM/CTM will keep power available for all interior lights including the dome lamp, map lamp, outside rear view mirror illumination lamp, door lamps, glove box lamp (if equipped), ashtray lamp, key ring lights, cargo lamp, for 45 minutes after the ignition switch is turned off. The battery saver time is reset by receiving an illuminated entry request from the RAP module (if equipped), activating a door ajar switch, changing the ignition to START, or moving the key to the RUN or ACC position.

The battery saver feature removes extended interior lamp power drains to the battery (10655). The GEM/CTM keeps power to these loads for 45 minutes after the ignition switch is moved to OFF. After the ignition switch is moved to OFF and 45 minutes have elapsed with no change of state on any wake-up inputs, the GEM/CTM will enter a sleep mode. During the sleep mode, the GEM/CTM maintains all of its outputs in a deactivated state until a wake-up-command is received. For additional information, refer to Section 417-02 .

A wake-up command is sent when:

A change in door state from open to closed, or closed to open occurs.
The key is inserted or removed.
The ignition switch is turned from OFF to RUN.
The ignition switch is turned from OFF to ACCY.
A wake-up request is received from the remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module.
The GEM/CTM illuminates the interior courtesy lamps when any door is set ajar or is opened. The following are inputs used for controlling the courtesy lamps:

All door ajar switches (including liftgate).
Illuminated entry request with RAP module.
Two-step unlock door disarm switches.
All interior courtesy lamps are turned off when any of the following occurs:

All the doors are closed and the illuminated entry feature is not active.
The ignition switch is turned to RUN.
Vehicle speed is over 8 km/h (5 mph).
A power door lock command is received before the five seconds have elapsed for two-step unlock.
The GEM/CTM controls the interior lamps illuminated entry function with the interior lamp relay. The relay is activated by applying ground to the relay coil through C283-12, circuit 1008 (LG/O), and is deactivated by removing the ground.

The RAP module sends a signal to the GEM on the illuminated entry request circuit to indicate a request to turn the illuminated entry feature ON or OFF.

The GEM illuminates the interior lamps when an unlock signal is received from the RAP module. The illuminated entry feature will be canceled when any of the following conditions are met:

25 seconds have elapsed since the illuminated entry feature was activated and the interior lamp control is not activated.
The GEM receives a request from the RAP module (remote transmitter lock button pressed) and the courtesy lamp control is not activated.
The ignition is in the RUN or START position and the interior lamp control is not activated.
The illuminated entry inputs are:

Door open warning lamp switch (grounded when the handle is lifted; an open circuit when the handle is released).
Ignition switch in the key-in, ACCY and RUN position.
RAP illuminated entry request.
The GEM/CTM sleep mode outputs are:

None (All circuits are deactivated during sleep mode).
If a change in any of the above inputs occur while the GEM/CTM is asleep, the GEM/CTM will wake up and monitor all of its inputs, and will have the ability to activate any of its outputs.

The GEM module provides temporary power to the power windows, the rear wiper (for parking of the rear wiper off the liftgate glass), and the message center for ten minutes after the ignition switch is moved from the RUN to OFF position. If, during this ten-minute period, either front door is opened, the delayed accessory relay will be de-energized.

The GEM controls the one-touch down window feature. When the power switch for the driver window control is held down (between 0.04 and 0.4 second) and then released with the ignition switch in RUN OR ACC, the driver window will automatically move to its full down position.

Only the driver window has this feature. Holding the driver window switch down longer allows the operator to stop the window as soon as the switch is released. For additional power window information, refer to Section 501-11 .

To activate the two-step unlock system the GEM requires that there must be two transitions of the unlock switch. After the GEM senses the first transition, it unlocks that door where the transition occurs and illuminates the courtesy lamps. There is a five-second window that begins from the first transition of the unlock switch. If within that window, a second unlock command is sensed by the GEM, the GEM will energize a relay to unlock all the doors after the second transition of the unlock switch returns to the vertical position in the door lock cylinder.

Thats quite the write up, hope you have that saved somewhere. lol Thanks scucci for your help, I'll get around to trying to fix this when the snow goes away, and when it gets a little warmer.

It came from the service dvd so I have it saved. My Expy is covered with 1/2" ice under 5" snow, so I understand about the weather holding you up. Make sure that your washer fluid is not frozen - a friend borrowed a gallon from me last year and replaced it with summer washer fluid with no freeze protection. It froze in the lines on the first cold day.
Good Luck

It came from the service dvd so I have it saved. My Expy is covered with 1/2" ice under 5" snow, so I understand about the weather holding you up. Make sure that your washer fluid is not frozen - a friend borrowed a gallon from me last year and replaced it with summer washer fluid with no freeze protection. It froze in the lines on the first cold day.
Good Luck
The fluid in the tank was liquid but being origionaly from canada I know that it could possibly be the lines, I'll just have to wait a couple of days to get to it.

Possible Fix

Looking for a link to a fuse box diagram, trying to trouble shoot the windshield wiper washers, have replaced the motor for the washers and no change, so next I want to check the fuses, I know should of started with the fuses first but, so can someone lead me to a diagram or link to the fuse box, just be nice to have a chart to show me what/locations each fuse goes to.
Thanks, Mike
Ps 2000 Explorer XLT 4x4 :cool:

I had this problem too, washer fluid on front stopped working, back still worked,, tried another pump same thing.Hooked up a multimeter to washer pump and had friend press washer fluid.it was reading below 12v like 10 or something. I dug further and tried something.well guess what it worked and still amazes me..I took the horn relay out and tried it in the fuse box thats on the passenger side in the engine bay under the air filter to intake hose.theres a small relay box with a few relays, I took the one out closest to the driverside and the rear of the suv and swapped it with the horn relay..well guess what working ever since.I then laughed at my friend as i put the relay from washer fluid in the horn and well yep it was worth laughing as the horn worked fine.I am guessing maybe pulling it might have made the contacts grab again.Anyway I now have fixed this problem and have washer fluid.I got the diagram from my haynes manual in the wiring to locate the relay box and relay.If you can not find it I can look for a pic of the one to change.Good luck I bet its your problem..The pump was fine after testing it alone under 12v so it was my last resort and I got it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a problem with our washer pump not working .Well actually I tested the pump and it works but the system as a whole doesn't ,The wipers come on when the spray button is used but it doesn't spray.I tried moving some relays ( the ones under the air cleaner ) not sure which one is the right one if somebody has a pic and could point it out that would be great, and the fuse is good
My thought is this looks like a bidirectional pump, meaning polarity one way sprays the front polarity the other way sprays the back is this correct?
99 sohc sport 2dr

Back