Low Fuel Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Fuel Light

Newport5003

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I've noticed that a low fuel light never comes on in my truck... or at least I never got to the point where it does. I usually drive about 270 miles (17.3 gallons) before i fill up, which is usually when the needle starts to fall into the red line (which i find that needle isn't very accurate because 2/3 of a tank suddenly turns into a full tank if i'm driving on a hill.

When does your low fuel light come on? And how much fuel is left after it comes on? (And yes I know it's bad to drive with the gas at the bottom of the tank)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My low fuel light comes on when there is less than 2 gallons left in the tank. When I fuel as soon as the light comes on I pump 20 gallons.

The light that comes on is the "Check Guage" light. And I believe it is when you have about 2 gallons left. When I've run it this low and I go to fillup, the amount of gallons to fillup is usually around 18 gallons. And we are supposed to have 20 gallons tanks(Job 1 ST's).

The light that comes on is the "Check Guage" light.

Correction on my post. Mine is the also the check guage light. The '03 ST has a fuel capacity of 22.5 gallons. I assumed that the 01's were the same.

Thanks! I was going to wait until it goes to the low fuel light (or as you said its the check gauge light) but every time I go to do it I get nervous after about 270 or so miles. I guess sport trac's don't have an earlier warning... I know on hondas it can be around 80 miles before the tank is truly empty that the low fuel light comes on.

My low fuel light comes on when there is less than 2 gallons left in the tank. When I fuel as soon as the light comes on I pump 20 gallons.
Mine also comes on with a "Low Fuel" warning on the DIC when there is roughly 2-3 gallons left.

Tom

I also have no low fuel light. Seems to be a thing on the 01s. Thanks

Back