SAS leaf spring recommendations 94 ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS leaf spring recommendations 94 ex

bjorkmae

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
OK so I am starting on a SAS on my 94 explorer. I have already done lots of searching, reading ect so please just help me with my question. I am going to do a SAS on my 94 ex and I am going to use leafs. I am not going full width. I am using a modified(4 link stuff removed) d30 out of a jeep for now, I know its not the toughest axle, but plenty of upgrades to be had and I got it for a good price in good shape. So I was thinking of using the rear leafs from a half ton full size truck. Any recommendations? I don't want it to be too stiff. Any one have any experiece with this. I am sure that the front springs from a full size half ton would be too stiff. Hoping to use the shackles and mounts(assuming they aren't welded on) from the donor truck. Going to the wrecking yard today to get some measurements of some trucks to see what would be useable. Welding and fabbing aren't an issue, but of course I want to keep it to a minimum to follow the kiss method, yeah I know a sas isn't exactly folllowing the kiss method. So I am open to suggestions and appreciate any HELPFUL info I can get. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, heres what works.

Ditch reusing the old mounts, one of the other is welded, and are both probably rusted/rotted.

Get 1 set of 2.5" wide poly bushings (Im using these and love them http://www.summitmachine.com/index.php?p=customParts&cp=bsh)

Those will serve as the shackle hangers.

You can also buy premade shackles and spring hangers from company's like this http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

2x3 or 3x3 tube works very well for a front crossmember, im using 3x3 1/4 wall.

Alot of members here use the 7 leaf wagoneer spring packs, from the front of a FSJ. Im running them and couldnt be happier.

Then just get some spring perches from the ruffstuff link above and your in business. If you want more info check out the SAS link in my sig, the last 2 pages have current pics.

OK sounds good so waggy springs it is. I looked into them and it looks like there is a new style and old style? What year range is best? I know that 7 leaf is preferred. THanks for the links. I checked out your sas thread and got some good info. Seams like everyone has there preference on suspension from springs with 4 links to springs with radius arms to leaf spring setups. I have seen people swap from all of these to another because of some benefit. I am doing leaf because of price and simpler installation. If I find out the year range I will get some tomorrow as there are a few old waggys at the local pick a part.

no idea, I just get a 7 leaf pack from a grand wagoneer.

'79 works, i am running the 5-leafs and they are really soft, almost unbearable on the street but the flex amazingly the downside is that they don't last that long because i have them in negative arch so much. My next set will be 7 leaf springs

oh...and i'm running the long side forward on my setup

Ok so I got the 7 leaf pack from a 87 wagoneer they aren't rusty at all just coated with oil and gunk. I went ahead and got the shackles and mounts as they weren't rusted or rotted at all. Maybe because I live in Oregon and we don't get much snow so they never salt the roads. Anyway it cost a total of $50 for the springs and for a guy to take a torch and remove the spring mounts. Even the rubber bushings were in good shape, kinda surprising really. I will try to sand blast them by Sunday. Just got my front axle sand blasted, it had lots of junk buildup.

Sweet..

Been a busy day, but I got the leafs, shackles, and hangers sand blasted and then painted the leafs and shackles with some rust cover-up paint guaranteed for 2 years and since there wasn't any rust I figured it should work on freshly sandblasted metal well. Finished sand blasting the front and rear axle and just a bit more grinding on the front one.

Ok I will post some tomorrow. How do I post them on here?

OK so I got pics how do I post them? I just did the lincoln locker up front and the way this axle works with the passenger side axle disconnect I it will still allow me to turn without any problems as long as I don't have the passenger side connected. Jeeps did this up to 91. I got the rest of the 4 link mounts removed and ground off, axle is painted and ready to swap!

OK I know its been a while but I finally got my pictures up, click on the links so see. Since last post I have sourced a vacuum switch to control the passenger side axle disconnect on the d30 front from an older jeep. Since I have installed a Lincoln Locker the axle disconnect will sorta work like a electric locker but vacuum controlled instead and a little bit different but way cheap and simpler. I also run transfer case and transmission breather tubes up to the engine compartment to protect them from water. Got lots of little stuff done, figured out mounting locations, new center bolts for waggy springs flipped for soa, materials, brake lines, fluids, drive lines, ect. I don't think I can adequately pre-plan for shocks as there would just be too much guessing. I got the vacuum switch from an older waggy. It simply supplies vacuum to one port or another depending on which way it is switched, kinda like an electric switch can.

Oh yeah forgot to mention everything is painted now too :)

Back