Fuel door release??

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ok so last night, for the second time, I had almost 10 gallons of gas siphoned from my tank right in front of my house. It has been a problem on my street for the past few weeks... My grand Marquis has a locking fuel door with a button on my drivers side door to pop it open and they don't bother with trying to get gas from that car... Did the explorers come with that as an option? If so where can I get it and is there a thread on it? I'm on my iPhone right now so I haven't searched yet... Help me out guys, 50$ worth of gas is something I really can't afford to just give away; and my Winchester protection plan isn't working... Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wont matter, the car is high enough, that even if you lock everything you can get to the tank rather easy.

Put a $20 dollar locking gas cap on it to help.

Yeah, unlocking my gascap every time is a bit of a pain in the ass. And I highly doubt that they will go to the trouble of crawling under my car to get to my tank... If it comes down to it I'll just park it in the garage instead of my sandrail... But, I would still like it as a feature anyways.

Yeah, unlocking my gascap every time is a bit of a pain in the ass. And I highly doubt that they will go to the trouble of crawling under my car to get to my tank... If it comes down to it I'll just park it in the garage instead of my sandrail... But, I would still like it as a feature anyways.

lets see snake a hose, hopefully get the plunger to open and then taste gas.

or crawl under pull a 8 mm bolt and stick a screwdriver in and get all the gas in the tank..... really....

they used to seal cats from suv's.... why not gas when its easier, cleaner and you dont taste like gas.

Still just looking for an answer to my question.......

as far as i know no 3rd gens came with a latching fuel door, so the locking gas cap looks like the only way to go

Get a locking gas cap:D

First, I would setup a webcam and make sure the Explorer is well lit and record whoever is doing it. It could be a neighbor walking across the street and helping themselves.

OR, you could get the locking cap, setup the cam and put a little sign inside the fuel door that says, "smile, you're on camera."

Dang thiefs! I was just thinking about this my 02 has a cap. So I could get a locker. How about her 08 no cap on it at all. I don't think you could get a hose down in there with that set up but I may be wrong.

STU

I say go with the locking gas cap. I guess you have to decide what is more of a pain in the ass: Scumbags stealing your gas or unlocking the gas cap?

I have a locking gas cap. Get one!

This locking gas cap intrigues me. Where did you get yours?

Back