2nd gen headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen headlights

i know this had been talked about before but im new to the explorer family so i want to make sure i get the right stuff, im looking to put new headlights in my 98 xlt and what im thinking about doing is this

these are the headlights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-95-01...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item1e87b30d8f&vxp=mtr

and i want to run these bulbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-KIT-90...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e84d90d2c

if there is something better out there about the same price please let me know thanks aton everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The projector headlights might be ok if that's the look you want - they are not great quality and are extremely overpriced but can sometimes be an improvement over yellowed and hazy original lamps.

You should just get some decent Halogen bulbs like Sylvania XtraVisions, those "LED" bulbs are a gimmick, completely illegal to use on the road, and extremely unsafe, both for the driver of the vehicle equipped with them and the drivers on the road who have to deal with the glare in their eyes.

You might also save your money and consider a real HID kit (not one that claims to stick 'HID' bulbs in a halogen housing). Plenty of members here have converted their 95-2001 headlamps to HID projector units with decent results.

thanks anime i will looking into a different set of headlights bulbs as far as the housing go i didnt want to modify my factory ones bc they got messed up when my girl hit a ditch lol. so i decided to go with the one piece headlights,

is there a headlight bulb that you would say is better then any other?

"Better" is a relative term when it comes to halogen headlight bulbs.

There are bulbs that are VERY bright (GE Nighthawk Platinum, Philips X-treme Power), but they don't last very long, AND they cost quite a bit.

My suggestion is for bulbs that are an improvement over stock, so they are brighter and give a longer, wider beam, but are not SO much brighter that they don't last very long.

For those types of bulbs, I suggest Sylvania XtraVision bulbs, as they are inexpensive $12-18/pair or so), they are brighter than stock, they can last about as long as standard bulbs, and the 9007 size is made in the USA at Sylvania's top-quality manufacturing plant. The H1 size that the projector lamps use is made in Germany and is top quality as well.

Philips also makes some good bulbs such as their Hi-Visibility and Vision Plus lines, but these are harder to find in stores than Sylvania bulbs. You can get them at Kmart, though, if you have one around.

Other than those, I would only suggest Sylvania or Philips standard replacement bulbs.

Don't buy any gimmicky "HID-like" bulbs, like Silverstars or any "Hyperwhite" or "blue" bulbs, as they put out LESS light than even a stock bulb, AND they cost more AND have a super-short lifespan. Something to remember when it comes to halogen bulbs - if the price is sky-high, you can be sure you are getting reamed for a crappy overpriced product that will not put out much light and will not last very long. The BEST halogen bulbs cost only slightly more than standard halogen bulbs.

LEDs have not made it to the point where there is a product that can replace halogen bulbs in headlights made for halogen bulbs, nor are there HID bulbs that can replace halogen bulbs, either. Both of these products are illegal to use on the street, both for their safety risk in terms of poor visibility and risk of fire - both of which could lead to a collision and loss of life.

Personally, I'd suggest just going with the "clear" multi-reflector headlamps and some 9007 Sylvania XtraVision bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-HEAD...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c898a9011&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYSTAL-CHR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35db881f86&vxp=mtr

(not endorsing those sellers, those just show the possible products)

Otherwise, if you like the projector housings with the halo rings, get those and throw some good Sylvania or Philips H1 bulbs in there.

Not to take anything away from what Anime said, because he is right about the bulbs, my suggestion would be to go to a local junk yard and get a set of original headlights housings. Then get a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit and spend a lot of time cleaning them. You can get the housings to look like new. After that get a good set of quality bulbs as Anime suggested and be done. You'll save a good bit of money, as this should not cost more than $100, and have great looking and functioning results.

Just My 2 cents...

Keith

cool thanks you guys i went and head and orded the headlights i like the look and everything, and ill go out today and see if i can pic up a set of bulbs for them

I have had anzo clear chrome housings and silver stars in all four of my second gens for years with no problems, they all still look new and as far as the bulbs, the set that's in my sport is probably six or seven years old

Back