I broke my TrueTrac?

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
crawling up some rocks at Chaos Offroad Park in Capon Bridge, WV yesterday and and I bounced, came down, BOOM.. so my buddies who were spotting me checked for a busted ujoint or shaft.. nothin. I go to move forward, front driveshaft spins but the front axle shafts do not. hmm. so I drive off the mountain in 2wd back to where we were staying. take the diff cover off, don't notice too much of anything in the fluid, turn the ring gear by hand and axle shafts and driveshaft turn. hmm.

broken pinion teeth? broken truetrac internals?

hubs can be eliminated since the axle shafts did not spin with torque applied to them, only by hand.

ideas? I do have warranty through 4wd till February on everything, just wanted to get a good start before I tear it apart when we get back from the beach later this week.

Helical gears in true tracs come apart. Usually repairable. Eaton sells them. I repaired one once. Maybe a busted pinion?

Ended up not being the differential.. I jumped the gun hoping it was so I could talk myself into buying a locker. Ended up being the RH lock out, grenaded into the outer wheel bearing. I'm surprised I drove 3 hrs home with no issues.

Good advice on the rebuild though, I'll keep that in mind if it ever does happen.

Back