Rearview Camera Problems | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've tried that. I don't have all those options on my 11.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I should have mentioned that the Active guidelines are only on those Explorers that have the Active Park Assist. If you don't have that option, you may as well forget about going to the dealer because there is nothing they will be able to do.
If you have the Active Park Assist and they replaced your camera, I would guess that they replaced it with the wrong one. One of the things I've noticed is that Ford seems to use the same part number for items that have different functions.

Peter

Yep we have (had ) active park assist. Haven't since the camera screwed up and was replaced. When I go to settings/vehicle/ backup camera , it shows them being on in the example displayed when you click on or off but it's not on. I'm taking it in and staying this time.

My wife didn't look when she picked it up.

Not sure how this works or if I needed to quote you for you to know I responded but I have 77,320 miles on it

Hi Anhc,

Send me a private message and I'll check options to help. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

... I'm taking it in and staying this time...

Report back with how things go at the dealership, myfoot. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Hi Anhc,

Send me a private message and I'll check options to help. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Report back with how things go at the dealership, myfoot. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Around 50K

Partial update: They've sent me home in an Escape while they work on the Explorer. Service advisor said they have to reprogram the Explorer.

Said it may be early afternoon. It was around 10 am here at that point. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Well 6 hours later they called and said it's the camera. Have to order another 1. Gave us the option of picking ours up or keep the Escape ; we're picking our Explorer up until they call and tell us the camera's in.

Bumping this so it's easier to find tomorrow :D . Camera came in yesterday but we're not taking it in till tomorrow morning. Service advisor said it would be around 2 hours to replace and program.

Hopefully this will be the end of it! Stay tuned.

I'm having the same problem with my 2011. Disconnected the battery cable and did a master reset but still saying "camera unavailable. please contact your dealership".

Still having issues with the back-up camera and finally decided to take in for service. I have 53,000 miles and the service advisor said it was out of warranty and since I did not get the extended warranty, I would have to pay for the troubleshooting. After we discussed the costs – First, it was $90 just to have them look at the camera, and subsequent charges of $90/ hour to troubleshoot. He explained that more than likely they would have to check each individual wire, which would take several hours, and that I would have to leave the vehicle for at 2-3 days? Anyways, I elected not to have them troubleshoot, but I am curious if I have any other options available. The camera is a valuable tool especially at night and parking in close quarters. My wife will not drive the vechicale not because of the camera not functioning. I am considering replacing my wife’s Chrysler van with another Ford vehicle within the next several months, but I am now reconsidering after the camera has failed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are your rear sensors and BLIS working? The reason I'm asking is that the fuse that controls those also controls the rearview camera and there has been no mention that the fuse (34) was checked. Other than that I guess you could try getting at the camera itself and check to see if there is any power present at the contact points.

Peter

Yes, the sensors and the BLIS are working fine. Sorry, fuse 34 was taken out and inspected as well.

Well I guess that leaves either a bad camera or connections to it. It would be helpful to have a wiring schematic if you plan on trying to 'fault find' on your own. Other than that, I'd take some place that does this ttype of work. Either the dealer or a shop that works on automotive electrical issues.

Peter

While it is possible to replace the camera itself it still has to be set up properly through the dealer service software. No matter what you do its going to require a dealer visit. Let me look through the service manual for the 14 model and see what the trouble shooting chart says.

"NOTE: The rear video camera guidelines will not display if the rear video camera is not configured.

Carry out the video camera configuration using a scan tool under Body > RVC Configuration"

I just looked it over....basically it tells the dealer to check for DTC's and correct those if present. If the camera still isn't operation there is a LONG list of electrical wiring checks to do and if all else fails replace the camera.

Yep we have (had ) active park assist. Haven't since the camera screwed up and was replaced. When I go to settings/vehicle/ backup camera , it shows them being on in the example displayed when you click on or off but it's not on. I'm taking it in and staying this time.

My wife didn't look when she picked it up.

Just as an FYI in the SM for the 2014 it says if lines are not display then:

"NOTE: The rear video camera guidelines will not display if the rear video camera is not configured.

Carry out the video camera configuration using a scan tool under Body > RVC Configuration"

I know you just made a post about replacing the camera but just something to note.

We had the guidelines after the camera was replaced, just not the active ones. They tried re-programming the last time it was in and it still didn't work. That apparently was why they ordered another camera.

Okay! 3rd times a charm apparently. I remembered the lines as being grey before and now they're brown but hey I've been wrong before ;) Anyway glad to put this behind us and the dealer worked with us to resolve the problem so we are both happy!

Well maybe not the wife, I was looking at a 15 black sport that had just came in :D

Did they replace it or was it software related?

Peter

Replaced the camera and said they had to program it so not sure if the original replacement was faulty (likely) or software glitch although they said they were going to re program it last week when it was in.

They said they'd mail me the paperwork so we could get going when I asked if I had to sign anything. If I see anything on that I'll be sure to post back what they did.

Anyone else having the error "Camera is Unavailable Please Contact Your Dealer"?
Mine comes and goes, It was not working for 2 weeks and now its back working again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum cpurx.:wavey:
There is a post in this thread where a member is having the same issue and message.

Peter

Back