Question on adapter for SW controls w/ aftermarket HU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on adapter for SW controls w/ aftermarket HU

davidbaggett

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Contour 2.5 V6
Hi!
I will soon be the proud owner of a '08 XLT with premium sound. I'll be installing an Eclipse CD5030 that is currently in my '00 Ford Contour. I want to be able to use the existing steering wheel (SW) audio controls on the '08 XLT with my Eclipse CD5030. From looking on here and google, it seems like i'm going to need a PAC Audio model SWI-ECL2 to make the SW controls work w/ the Eclipse? (shown here) http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=209&CategoryID=29

What confuses me is that i've seen pics of both blue and black boxes that are being sold as PAC SWI-ECL2. I read on an amazon review that the blue one is the newer model, but I'd like to confirm that.

Another point of confusion is my discovery of a similar unit made by "Peripheral" with the model name/number of PESWIECL2. (shown here) http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-PESWIECL2-Steering-Retention-Interface/dp/B0015FYMTY

With such a dramatic difference in price, surely they can't be the same thing.....right? On the amazon link its listed for $11.40. On other sites i've seen this same looking black box (PESWIECL2) for $40. I've also seen the PAC SWI-ECL2 in black for $40-something.

HELP! :eek:

So i called PAC this morning and got a few answers (but not all). Here's what I learned:
-I confirmed that the blue box sold by PAC is the most current design/version.
-PAC used to sell a black box with the same part number.
-PAC purchased Peripheral years ago, so the units being sold online under the Peripheral brand name are older units.
-PAC told me that the older black boxes essentially function the same as the new blue boxes. The person @ PAC Tech Support did not know exactly what was different in the older black box vs the current blue box.

**PAC Tech Support could NOT confirm that the SWI-ECL2 would work with my Eclipse CD5030. He said they have never had an Eclipse CD5030 to test their product on.**

I've decided that i'm going to hold off on buying anything until I pull my Eclipse out of my Contour and look at what wires are in the Eclipse wiring harness (from what i've gathered, there should be a brown and a brown/black wire in the Eclipse wiring harness which will connect to the SWI-ECL2)

Anybody had experience using this product (SWI-ECL2) with an Eclipse CD5030? Thx

Back