Heater Core Replacement - The Missing Steps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Core Replacement - The Missing Steps

ttbit

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 ST 5.0 sold
'07 ST8
I am just wrapping up a heater core install in my 2001 Sport Trac and thought I would share some gotchas I ran into. There is an online "howto" with videos by a certified mechanic that can be found using a Google search, but there are some very important steps missing.

When removing the blower fan/evap assy, there is another stud inside the passenger compartment. Also there is a vaccum connection you need to undo:

blowerstudinside.jpg

There are connectors you will want to remove before unbolting the dash assy:

connectors1.jpg

There is a bolt by the accelerator pedal that will allow the dash to move down a little more to give clearance.

boltbyacc.jpg

There is a 4th stud in the engine compartment holding the heater box in place. It was very hard to get to, in my case. This is not shown in the video or the Ford manual that I own. It states there are 4 studs, but only points to 3. Here is the 4th one:

hiddenstudeng.jpg

hiddenstudinside.jpg

Once you have all the proper bolts removed, you can easily remove the top cover to the heater box assy to pull the core, unlike in the video where it is not nearly far back enough to remove. For me, it was still very tight getting the core out and in, but doable. That interior computer the mechanic is talking about in the video is actually the engine PCM. It can easily be removed from the engine compartment if you want to pull the heat sink.

I have the big console from a '96 Explorer, so I removed it to make room. I did not have to remove the seats, but it might make it a little easier if you do.

Hope this helps someone out.

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good info, thanks for sharing!

It looks like you have to remove the engine to get to that 4th stud.

It looks like you have to remove the engine to get to that 4th stud.

That's what I thought. The marks on my hands are starting to go away finally. :)

Great! I hope it helps someone.

Wow, I wish you had posted this a few week earlier. I just finished doing mine, and the few missing details that you showed were a real challenge. I also watched the videos, and other than being out of sequence and missing information, they were very helpful.

The one thing you didn't touch on (and the videos skipped) was getting the center console out. There are two bolts behind the trip computer (at the front) and two under the cup holders. But to get it out, I had to remove the rear cup holders and attach a come-along to the steel frame (at the bottom). I hooked the other end of the come along to the tie-downs in the back of the explorer. The console has to move back about 2" to unhook from the fingers that are under the armrest area. I read other posts that said you can pull it by hand, or beat it with a hammer on the bracket under the Kleenex holder. That may work for some, but I needed the come-along.

Putting it back together was actually easier than I thought. Good luck

Oh yeah. I swapped a 96 Ex full console into my 2001 ST some years ago, so my console is custom mounted. It was a pain to get that thing out the first time.

Great post!

I ran into all those problems doing my heater core a year ago or so. I posted some of the problems to another thread, but this is a great summary with the pictures.

I even got a PM from someone having problems and it was the 4th nut holding the heater box on that is behind the center of the engine. I had to lay across the intake manifold in order to reach down to that one.

@ttbit: thanks!
It's all of us helping each other that make this place so cool.
That mechanic in the video looked and sounded SO convincing, but he obviously took some shortcuts (or maybe he was TRYING to mess with our minds as we struggled after watching his "how to").

Your post is a great documentation of the pitfalls.

The one thing you didn't touch on (and the videos skipped) was getting the center console out. There are two bolts behind the trip computer (at the front) and two under the cup holders. But to get it out, I had to remove the rear cup holders and attach a come-along to the steel frame (at the bottom). I hooked the other end of the come along to the tie-downs in the back of the explorer. The console has to move back about 2" to unhook from the fingers that are under the armrest area. I read other posts that said you can pull it by hand, or beat it with a hammer on the bracket under the Kleenex holder. That may work for some, but I needed the come-along.
Dude, I wish you posted that in the section about changing the O2 sensors!!!
I am in the same situation, my center console won't move at all! Your ideea is great, I might try it again like that... once I can borrow a comealong.

Thanks ttbit for the tips! Not sure I would have been successful doing this job without them. How long did it take for the cuts to heal on your hands for the 4th bolt? I was hoping I could manage to squeeze out the heater core without removing the 4th bolt, but I could not. For those who are going to do this, I used a regular 11 mm socket with stubby ratchet and once I broke it loose, I used a thumbwheel and socket to back it off. I went in from the top and it helps to have your hand and forearm greasy and sweaty to slide between the parts to get to the bolt.

Also, for the center console I removed the rear vent system so I could see the connection fittings between the console and the floor. Mine was stuck / slightly rusted, and used PB blaster and tapped it with a hammer forward to break it loose and I was then able to pull it back and off.

How long did it take for the cuts to heal on your hands for the 4th bolt?

I can tell you that the metal cuts are better than the plastic ones. :)

Glad you got it worked out!

I finished replacing the heater core in my 2000 mounty, I have these 3 screws left over from the front dash. Anyone have any idea where these zinc coated screws are installed?

100_1388.jpg

Glove box hinge?

Thanks.

most of mine went to the metal panel under the steering wheel/column area. 1 was in the center by the accelerator pedal holding the dash panel shown in the picture.

This post helped me save a bunch of time. That 4th screw though was a sneaky lil sucker. I got it with a 11mm socket and a swivel joint socket adaptor and my socket wrench. I didn't release my a/c freon, just pulled the blower and evaporator. It's been a pain. Next time I'll cough up the money to do it(if I can). Well now I have some extra cash to buy some Valentine's day gifts for my wife.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In our 99 Explorer Sport I had to remove the full length console to replace the carpet. I removed both front seats & after removing the 2 screws at the dash, & the 2 screws that go into the bracket on the floor I still could not get the console to move. There are 2 screws (one on each side of the console) that attach the console retainer bracket to the console body I removed both of them making the bracket loose. When I got behind the console & gave a couple tugs it came right out. Hope this helps out someone else trying to remove their console.

Back