• Register Today It's free!

4 low light wont come on

rustyranger96

Reaction score
City, State
Wyalusing, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford ranger xl
I cant figure out why when I lock my hubs and put my 96 ranger xl in 4 low the light doesn't come on but when I push it up into 4 high the 4 wd light comes on. anyone know why this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the push-button electric shift T-case, that can happen when the shift motor gets out of alignment, but it sounds like you have a manual shift T-case, correct?
It could be as simple as the little light is burned out, or it could be the wiring that runs to the shifter linkage.
You are getting into 4lo, though? Sometimes things can shift enough to not allow the stick to move far enough to actually engage 4lo.

My Ranger came with elec shift, but I swapped in a manual case a few years ago. The indicator buttons are still in the dash, but I have never even thought about trying to get them to work with the manual case, since it's very apparent to me when I'm in 4hi or 4lo...

Welcome to the forum!

Yes 4 low works,but when I put it in 4 high my front passenger tire lops and pulls but I put a new transfer case in I don't know whats wrong with that either

You still have not indicated if you have an electric or manual shift t-case. If it is manual, your shifter linkage could be out of adjustment. I think there are sensors in the shifter that activate the lights.

I had this problem after a Ford dealer replaced the t-case under warranty. They said they could find instruction as to how to adjust the linkage. I gave them instructions out of the Ford repair manual and they still couldn't get it right. I ended up adjusting it myself and it has work perfectly since then.

I did have a sensor in the transfer case go out quite a few years later and the 4 high and 4 low lights would not work right. They would stay on after shifting from 4WD to 2WD. That sensor may also be your problem.

They Are locking hubs and I'm pretty sure it's electric r case shift case but I also have a question why when I put it in 4 high my passenger tire doesn't want to move and pulls and doesnt want to go I really want it fixed before our first snow storm

Its manual i just looked but I'm baffled on my 4 high situation

Back