engine cuts out intermittantly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine cuts out intermittantly

Bart757

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Ranger Splash
I have a 93 ranger splash 2wd 2.3L engine that starts fine, runs well for about 2miles and then dies. After a couple minutes she would start up and run great for the rest of the days. Now that it has turned colder she will only run for a couple miles at a time before quitting and "resting" for a minute or so before starting again.....any ideas?

If the truck seems to lose power and slow down as it is on its way to dying, it may be due to lack of fuel. If it cuts off more immediately, I'd be looking at ignition problems or power loss to the computer or ignition.
I think you can swap relays to substitute for the fuel pump relay in case that is dying. If the fuel pump is going, or the fuel filter limiting fuel flow, that will cause a loss of power until it quits. I'd check fuel pressure & delivery volume at the fuel rail.
If it shuts off as if the key were turned to OFF, look for loose electrical connections, grounds and corroded wires.
tom

Tom
Thanks for the reply. I think I will pursue looking into this by replacing the ignition switch. I recently had a problem where the engine would cut off and all the gauges would cut off as well, and she wouldn't start...she would only click as if the battery was dead.She would only start by jumping . My ignition key was very worn, so I replaced it and that solved that problem...now she quits as if the ignition were cut off but the gauges stay on....I am going to test the inertia switch first though, because she seem to quit only after running a specific distance... Bart

Back