Window Keeps Popping Off Track | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Keeps Popping Off Track

Reaction score
City, State
Emporia, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Merc Mountaineer
My driver side window keeps popping off its track(u-channel). I tried re siliconing it to to the brackets, but it still just pops right off when the window is rolled down.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks, Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The track is known as a window regulator. The window seems to be riveted to it. In short the window gets supported, the rivets get cut and drilled, then the old regulator is maneuvered out, and the process is reversed.

Most likely you will brake the window removing it.

A glass company guy does this for $200 in about 15 minutes like a true pro and that makes me sick. Pay $200 unless a pro gives up his secrets here. I've watched them and threw in the towl.

Google youtube on "car window regulator replacement".

I don't see any rivets holding the window on the u channels I am talking about. It looks to me like it was just silicones in to these two u shaped brackets that are attached to the track. It seems to me like the window is getting stuck up and pulling the motor off of the track. To me, the window should be completely free to go up or down.

I know what you are talking about, I think. You are talking about the whitish plastic that rides up and down the metal track. The trouble is that it doesn't take much looseness in each pivot point before the thing is wacko.

I respect your interest in doing this. If you figure it out let us know. I have one getting loose.

If it were rebuilding the window motor it would be cheep and easy.

No, these are two little u brackets, probably 2" or so in length that the bottom of the window sets in.

You may be on to something. Got camera?

Back