2003 Sport Trac Roof Water Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac Roof Water Leak

briandelaney

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Sport Trac with a Factory Sunroof. The Headliner is wet over the Left Rear Door (around the coat hook. Would anyone have any idea as to might be causing this leak and how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check and make sure its closed all the way. check the weather stripping

has your truck been wrecked?

when traveling down the road, do you here wind noise? with everything closed

well im out of options. hopefully someone else will chime in

It could be coming in around the roof rack mounting points and running to where you notice it being wet. You'll have to start with a helper and a garden hose, working from the lowest point ( weatherstrip area ) to the highest point ( roof rack ) and try to only wet one rack mounting point at a time until you strike water.

Thats sort of what I was thinking. Do I need to drop the headliner? how difficult is it to drop it and how do you drop it?

It's pretty involved and requires removing all of the plastic panels that touch it. The worst ones would be the rear corner panels. Before I did that I would just unbolt the roof rack, apply silicone sealer liberally to the bolt holes and put it back on. Let it dry and do the water hose test or go through the car wash. I mean, it has to be coming from the roof rack or the weatherstripping. The 3rd brake light, the rear window and the trim piece between the roof rack and the back window just don't seem possible as leaking and running over the door.

Thats sort of what I was thinking. I know it is not the 3rd brake light because I fixed that one last summer. Are there any rear drains in the sunroof back there?

Ah, I somehow missed the first statement ....... the sunroof one. There are drains on all four corners of the sunroof. I've never been into one of those so all I have is a illustration.

MoonroofFrameandDrains.jpg

I think mine is leaking in the same spot. I noticed some water on the back behind the rear seats on the plastic ledge...

what did you find

I think mine is leaking in the same spot. I noticed some water on the back behind the rear seats on the plastic ledge...

what did you find

Mine leaked there and traced it to the 3rd tail light.

be

Back