• Register Today It's free!

parking brake stuck!

ed d

Reaction score
City, State
clear lake, iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
:( my parking brake is stuck and i'm not sure how to get it freed up. this happened about 2hrs ago and i need the vehicle by 8:00 this evening for work. i used the brake only 2 or 3 times since i put new rear shoes on this spring. i noticed them sticking so i stopped using it. someone said use it and they'll stop sticking so i tried it, and now they're stuck. it will move if i put the t-case i low, but the brakes really drag. any sugestions???:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried to go underneath and loosen the adjustment nut on the cable?I would start there since it is easy to get to,if that doesnt work you may have to take the wheels and drums off.If you have to take the drums off just pry the park brake lever loose make sure its not binding anywhere or not interfering with the other brake parts.Before reassembly I would make sure to put antiseize on all the contact points of the moving parts.Any way hope this helps.

brake stuck

thanks i will give it a try. - ED D-

lube up the hinge points for the shoes and try to lube the cable where you can. Once you lube it, use it to keep it in working order. i got in the habit of using mine before putting the truck in park and I've been using it for about 5 months now with no problems.

thanks for the help, i did manage to get it working that day. i did try to remove the adjusting screw/nut, but it wouldn't turn. so i removed the wheel and drum on the drivers side, and all i did was wiggle the assembly around a little and they freed. thanks again. :D

Parking brake won't disengage it is fully depressed n locked up. Suggestions???? Disabled vet in need.

So the pedal is fully depressed, what does the release handle do? Does it not feel connected? Check that the handle is actuating the release mechanism. Might try spraying some oil in there if it is bound up and tapping it with a soft mallet. Also try pressing the parking brake pedal down slightly while pulling the release, to take the strain off the ratchet pawl.

If it's an emergency you can always cut the cable and reconnect it later. The cable runs along the drivers side framerail.

Back