Junction box wiring help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Junction box wiring help

Guys,

I have a lot of lights and accessories on my truck, and most are going to the positive terminal on the battery. This is making the terminal hard to close, in addition to making it slightly unsafe and not "clean" looking at all.

So, I bought a junction box for trailer wiring with the intent to use it as a way to route all my wires and clean things up. I got it the other day, but now I'm thoroughly confused. Obviously I'm not using it for its intended purpose, so that might be contributing to some of my confusion, but the main issue I have is that there is seemingly no single point I can use to power all 7 poles at once like I assumed there would be.

With none of the poles being connected to any other, I think I would have to run a single wire to power each individual pole, and then another wire off the opposite side for each accessory. This makes for a very messy box. I was hoping for one wire in to power them all, and then 1 wire off each pole for each accessory. Am I missing something, or am I spot on and will have to power each pole individually?

If this is the case, I'm thinking of connecting power to the first, and then running a wire from the first to the second, second to third, third to fourth, etc. Just so I don't have a huge 7-wire cable coming in both sides.

And I called the company for help, and the guy I got, while very willing to help, didn't speak english too well and kept telling me about fail-safes for trailer brakes. So, I turn to you for help...

I've included an image of the exact box below (with some wires in place) to help you picture things.

2012424174718.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try something like this.

box_zpsb1aa823e.jpg

I have some plate stainless steel and if you can give me some measurements I could probably make something for you.

By the way, where did you get this box. I have the same issues with my battery terminal and I think this would work for me as well. Is it water proof?

I think that's probably your best bet. You can run a 10 or 12 gauge wire with ring terminals from post to post. The larger the gauge the better, especially if some of the accessories have higher current draw.

Great diagram albi. Thanks. Its an editing program called snagit. I love it, use it all the time.

I got that same junction box. it's still in the box. I never used it, deciding it was too much a PITA to bother with.

I used this instead. Made everything nice & neat, plus very simple to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Blade-Block/dp/B001P6FTHC/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

I ran one 4 AWG wire to it from the battery, and another to the chassis for ground. I have all of my switches for all my lights, CAD axle, CB radio, on it. You can even divide it in 2 sections for one half Key on, and the other constant. Comes with a nice clear Marine cover on it, and labels.

Nice Greg. I'm probably stick with what I have for simplicity sake, but couple additional questions: Where did you mount yours? Not much room under there. Also, should I place an in-line fuse on the positive going into the box?

Nice Greg. I'm probably stick with what I have for simplicity sake, but couple additional questions: Where did you mount yours? Not much room under there.
I was thinking the same thing. Wondering where I can put this thing?:scratch:

I mounted mine inside where the tissue dispenser goes for the same reasons of lack of room. I have a a 30 amp fuse on mine, & a emergency keyed cut off switch just in case. Not really supposed to have it inside, but I did it anyways. :D

There might be room on the firewall by the ground strap next to the wiper motor?

Hmmm...I wanted it close to the battery because that's where all my wires are already routed. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Your ABS pump is kinda in the way by the battery. If you do the ABS delete, you will have room for it and an ARB compressor. :D

There is a couple factory pilot hole dimples on the dr side fender well for the manual clutch fluid reservoir, you might be able to bolt your J box there. Have to look at to see.

I did the wire wrap, and took a peek under the hood to see if I could find a spot to mount it. It's really tight.

Here's an idea - I haven't had the battery cover on in a while. I could put that back in place, and actually bolt the box to the cover. I'm pretty sure there's room to mount it right on the top or side. It seems silly, but I can't think of any reason not to. I will just have to have enough 4 awg wire into the box to allow for the removal and free movement of the cover without unbolting the junction box.

Thoughts?

There is another way. Most of fords power distribution boxes will go together by means if the built in snap on / slide on tabs. You can grab a small pdb out of a Car at the jy and add it to your pdb. There are people here that have done that with pics. 410 fortune is one of them. Just an idea.

That might work. How tall is the box? At the far front of the battery there's probably only a couple off inches of clearance above the battery. It's worth a shot, like you said it's pretty tight under the hood. I was up your way yesterday, well sort of. I was over in King of Prussia picking up some parts for the Mounty. Conner's Truck Parts, on Swedeland Rd.

There is another way. Most of fords power distribution boxes will go together by means if the built in snap on / slide on tabs. You can grab a small pdb out of a Car at the jy and add it to your pdb. There are people here that have done that with pics. 410 fortune is one of them. Just an idea.

I will take a look. Thanks man.

That might work. How tall is the box? At the far front of the battery there's probably only a couple off inches of clearance above the battery. It's worth a shot, like you said it's pretty tight under the hood. I was up your way yesterday, well sort of. I was over in King of Prussia picking up some parts for the Mounty. Conner's Truck Parts, on Swedeland Rd.

I'm not sure the exact measurement, but roughly 2.5''. It seemd to sit in there fine with the hood closed the other night.

And I'm very familiar with KOP. That was my go-to mall when I was in college at Villanova, and I worked in KOP (on 1st avenue) for 3 years. I actually think my currect office is closer though - I'm right over the Fayette bridge in Conshy, down on Washington Street.

I got that same junction box. it's still in the box. I never used it, deciding it was too much a PITA to bother with.

I used this instead. Made everything nice & neat, plus very simple to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Blade-Block/dp/B001P6FTHC/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

I ran one 4 AWG wire to it from the battery, and another to the chassis for ground. I have all of my switches for all my lights, CAD axle, CB radio, on it. You can even divide it in 2 sections for one half Key on, and the other constant. Comes with a nice clear Marine cover on it, and labels.

this is exactly something im looking for, to remedy this exact problem. Numerous wires, with numerous inline fuse holders.

One question though...

The picture shoes the hot leads coming in from the right, and cold exiting on the left. I see two spots for fuses, does that mean you can double up? or would you need to jump the second fuse holder?

EDIT;

Nevermind. Upon closer inspection, the hot comes in from the bottom and the fused slots are on either side. negative is at the top. :usa::usa::usa:

I will take a look. Thanks man.

I'm not sure the exact measurement, but roughly 2.5''. It seemd to sit in there fine with the hood closed the other night.

And I'm very familiar with KOP. That was my go-to mall when I was in college at Villanova, and I worked in KOP (on 1st avenue) for 3 years. I actually think my currect office is closer though - I'm right over the Fayette bridge in Conshy, down on Washington Street.

I know it's an old thread, but this is exactly what I've been looking for to do something like this. Did you ever get this done and if so pics?

I know it's an old thread, but this is exactly what I've been looking for to do something like this. Did you ever get this done and if so pics?

I never got it mounted because I couldn't really find a good spot, but I did wire up the internals of the box with the copper wire. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture of that.

Please whatever can help. Thinking of tackling this project when it gets warmer out soon.

Here you go man, hope this helps. Wrapped the copper wire around each pole and then socked the wire down with a washer and nut. Wire will run from the positive terminal of the battery into the box, and then each accessory will be tied to a separate pole.

That is, if I ever get it mounted. :rolleyes:

JunctionBox_zps8d099aab.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back