Cruise Control button replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control button replacement

gold_expl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hello!

I own a 2001 ford explorer sport. This may sound stupid, but the plastic on the "on" button for cruise control is cracked and looks bad so I want to replace it (OCD) and I was wondering if I could replace the original buttons (here) with some of these (here) MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6350 buttons. It says they are compatible but I was wondering if I would just replace the buttons and that's it, nothing else, or if I would have to replace other things too for the new buttons to work. The only reason I have this concern is because in the description on www.rockauto.com says this> Sport; Kit, Mounted In Brake Line Or Master Cylinder; Deactivator<

please and thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome aboard

I don't think they will fix . Look at the screw holes don't look like the will line up. Im sure you could make then fix if you really wanted to just need a lil work.

Hello!

I own a 2001 ford explorer sport. This may sound stupid, but the plastic on the "on" button for cruise control is cracked and looks bad so I want to replace it (OCD) and I was wondering if I could replace the original buttons (here) with some of these (here) MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6350 buttons. It says they are compatible but I was wondering if I would just replace the buttons and that's it, nothing else, or if I would have to replace other things too for the new buttons to work. The only reason I have this concern is because in the description on www.rockauto.com says this> Sport; Kit, Mounted In Brake Line Or Master Cylinder; Deactivator<

please and thank you!
Just go to the junkyard and pick one up.

Well the reason I want the other part is because it doesn't look like it will tear up as easily, but I think I will just buy the original ford part. Besides, the ford one has lights in it and the one I was looking at does not. And thanks for all the responses!

Hey everyone.

Just wanted you guys to know that I ordered some new buttons today from Amazon.com (here) because they were a steal, $34.15 with free shipping, and it is the same part # as Rockauto's so no worries. Thanks people, if not for you guys I would probably have ordered the wrong part! :eek: Peace!

Hey everyone.

Just wanted you guys to know that I ordered some new buttons today from Amazon.com (here) because they were a steal, $34.15 with free shipping, and it is the same part # as Rockauto's so no worries. Thanks people, if not for you guys I would probably have ordered the wrong part! :eek: Peace!
Nice! Even better than the junkyard. :D

Gold_Expl, If the only broken part is the face of the button (rubber), then you may be able to swap in the new cover without taking off the entire old unit. The rubber faceplates pull right off, and push back on. If the button inside is broken, you may have to remove the steering wheel center (horn/airbag) cover to get to the screws.

Gold_Expl, If the only broken part is the face of the button (rubber), then you may be able to swap in the new cover without taking off the entire old unit. The rubber faceplates pull right off, and push back on. If the button inside is broken, you may have to remove the steering wheel center (horn/airbag) cover to get to the screws.
IMHO It's just as easy to replace the entire assembly. You risk breaking the clips on the new rubber faceplates is you pull them apart. Trust me I know. :D

P.S. Not to state the obvious but make sure you disconnect your battery before you go fooling around with the airbag.

Lol yeah I was planning to use the steps on this post to replace the on button. I might replace the other buttons (set accel, etc) because the light is burned out in it and I think the new one comes with lights (?) but I'm not sure. Hey I have one more question. Does anyone know how much it co$t$ to get a new key from ford? I only have one working key so I can't program a new one myself :(

Also, apparently amazon raised their price today on those buttons! I only paid $34.15 and now they are $38.87 :D

Find a local locksmith that has the programmer for the keys. They will be a lot cheaper than at Ford.

Lol yeah I was planning to use the steps on this post to replace the on button. I might replace the other buttons (set accel, etc) because the light is burned out in it and I think the new one comes with lights (?) but I'm not sure. Hey I have one more question. Does anyone know how much it co$t$ to get a new key from ford? I only have one working key so I can't program a new one myself :(

When I got one programmed and cut about 3 months ago it cost me $80. But you can buy the key off ebay cheaper, get it cut at wal-mart or someplace around you and only pay to have them program it, or the locksmith.

well truthfully my key has been through some tough times with the previous owner and is VERY worn out, it won't even unlock the doors anymore, I'm surprised it can even start the car! I think the ford dealership cuts a new key from the VIN number. (At least I hope they do)

Since when does amazon have car parts?:confused:

Geez, they've got everything.

Price on the buttons are back down to $34.15, for future reference. (here)
Also, not sure what the actual difference is but here is another one on amazon (different model #) for slightly cheaper. (here)

lastly, does anyone know if the buttons I currently have on my truck (stock for 2001 explorer sport) would work with a 1995 ford explorer? I know they look exactly the same but amazon.com's "make sure it fits" says it will not work. Just want a second opinion.
Thanks!

Back