Replaced Front Wheel Hub Assembly, now it vibrates around corners?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Front Wheel Hub Assembly, now it vibrates around corners?!?

mecheng2

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
Alright, so this car has been a bit more of a project than I intended when buying a newer car, but I thought I had everything nipped in the butt tonight...but I thought wrong. So in owning it for a little over a month here is everything that was done: Rebuild rear diff, front passenger hub assembly replaced, completely replaced rear brakes, but after all this (all of this was performed at the dealership under my 1000 used car warranty) there was still noise from the front, so today I did the following: replaced front drivers side wheel hub assembly, and new rotors and pads on the front brakes. After completing the work (that wheel hub assembly is a B&t$h!!!) I pulled out of my driveway, drove to the end of the street and there was no noise..YAY!...except when I turned right at the end of the street there was some pretty serious vibration in the steering wheel and front end... :-( ... SO...I need some advice on what I screwed up today while replacing the wheel hub assembly! I would really like to not have to bring it to the shop, but that is where it will be if I don't figure this out over the weekend!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you turn the wheels side to side about 5 times with the engine on to get possible air out of the steering system ?
if you move the rack side to side while on stands air gets into the power steering system,,

I did move the steering while it was on the stands (better access to the bolts on the hub), are you saying that now I should turn the wheels side-to-side ~5 times while it's parked with the wheels on the ground?

I did move the steering while it was on the stands (better access to the bolts on the hub), are you saying that now I should turn the wheels side-to-side ~5 times while it's parked with the wheels on the ground?

That is exactly what corkey is saying.

Headed outside to give it a try now! I'll post results...

THANK YOU!! That was all it needed, turned over the steering wheel 5-10 times in the driveway, took for a spin around the neighborhood and all is well! :)

THANK YOU!! That was all it needed, turned over the steering wheel 5-10 times in the driveway, took for a spin around the neighborhood and all is well! :)

Don't thank me, it was corkey's tip. ;)

Anyway, glad you got it taken care of. :cool:

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say thanks for the advice! I just changed my front left hub assembly two days ago. Took us 3 hours to do it, what a pain!
I got new tires a month ago and they showed me that I had a bad wheel bearing and quoted me 300.00 to fix. Recently my ABS light came on and my 4x4 high light was blinking 8 times every 2 minutes. After changing the hub assembly the noise was gone but every time I turned right I got a really bad vibration. We did turn the wheels several times while jacked up to get to the bolts.
I went out and turned the wheel several times back and forth this morning and the vibration is gone! I really thought something else went wrong too but that's all it was. No more road noise, no more ABS and 4x4 warning lights, all is good!
Thanks again.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say thanks for the advice! I just changed my front left hub assembly two days ago. Took us 3 hours to do it, what a pain!
I got new tires a month ago and they showed me that I had a bad wheel bearing and quoted me 300.00 to fix. Recently my ABS light came on and my 4x4 high light was blinking 8 times every 2 minutes. After changing the hub assembly the noise was gone but every time I turned right I got a really bad vibration. We did turn the wheels several times while jacked up to get to the bolts.
I went out and turned the wheel several times back and forth this morning and the vibration is gone! I really thought something else went wrong too but that's all it was. No more road noise, no more ABS and 4x4 warning lights, all is good!
Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum. :salute:

Glad you got it fixed. :biggthump

I am sorry I know this is old. I am having the same problem, but mine is when stepping on the brake and turning the wheel. when not touching the break its fine, also does it when turning and accelerating. any idea on how to fix that? I tried the turning the wheel trick didn't work for me( and I did it a lot) any advice would be helpful.

OLD..........But TYVM as i had the exact same problem and was worried i had to bring it to shop........Thanks for the EASY fix :)

Back