Help:2004 explorer died while driving, now won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help:2004 explorer died while driving, now won't start

nursemommycan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer xlt
I heard a squealing noise earlier in the morning and checked the belt which seemed fine (figured it was just moisture as it had rained and was really foggy). Then about 6 hours later I was driving it (going about 50 mph) and it just shut off. I just did make off the road. It would start back up and then shut off again after less than a minute. I had it towed home the next morning after I got off work. When I got there w/the tow truck driver it would not start at all, wasn't even trying to turn over. Now it sounds like it is trying but will not catch. My boyfriend thought it was the crankshaft pulley after looking online so we ordered the part. My dad is looking at it and wondering if it is the remote starter. A few months ago the car would only start using the remote starter button. It happened 3-4 times one day while running errands and has never happened again. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More information

We rented a diagnostic code tester today from Autozone and all it would say was error. I called the store and they said to check the connections and the fuses. All were fine. I really need some help as I do not have the money right now to put this thing in the shop and I don't have a way to work without the car.

do you have good voltage? How many volts Off? How many volt running?
Can you jump it? What happens? does it turn over at all but fails to start?

If the alternator dies you can run off the battery for a while, but once it get too low it won't start the truck.
You should always be able to pull a code, might be no codes but at least something.

sometimes if you kill the battery the PATSII system will forget the key.

I heard a squealing noise earlier in the morning and checked the belt which seemed fine (figured it was just moisture as it had rained and was really foggy). Then about 6 hours later I was driving it (going about 50 mph) and it just shut off. I just did make off the road. It would start back up and then shut off again after less than a minute. I had it towed home the next morning after I got off work. When I got there w/the tow truck driver it would not start at all, wasn't even trying to turn over. Now it sounds like it is trying but will not catch. My boyfriend thought it was the crankshaft pulley after looking online so we ordered the part. My dad is looking at it and wondering if it is the remote starter. A few months ago the car would only start using the remote starter button. It happened 3-4 times one day while running errands and has never happened again. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Thank you!

check the pulley, alot of times it hits the crank sensor. taking it out and stalling the car out. if its a 4.0, 4.6 do not have this problem.

as for the remote start only works and not the key, ford only uses a start interrupt, not a engine kill. so while you have a pats problem, it has nothing to do with the car stalling out.

sometimes if you kill the battery the PATSII system will forget the key.

there is a reprogram for this error. it was only on the 04 cars i have ever seen it lose pats key info. but a reprogram fixes this issues.

Back