Where is the fill plug for the rear differential? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the fill plug for the rear differential?

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

I would like to change the fluid in my rear axle, but I can't seem to locate the filler plug? Is it on the axle shaft? I would just like to pump it out, and fill it back up via a simple hand pump. I have some Mobil 1 75w-90. Would 3 bottles be sufficient or would I need closer to 4 bottles. I have some extra Valvoline Dura-Blend 80w-90 which I was going to use for the front axle. How many bottles does the front axle take? Thanks in advance! I am looking to change the fluid more often say every 20,000 or so miles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fill plug is on the front of the rear diff, more towards the gas tank. Just use a 3/8" extension to get the plug out. 3 bottles for the rear and 2 for the front should suffice. Just fill them up until the fluid starts to drip out of the fill hole. You may need friction modifier if you have a LS.

Does the eddie bauer edition have LS? Would M1 75W-90 contain it? Otherwise who sells it seperately Napa?
The fill plug is on the front of the rear diff, more towards the gas tank. Just use a 3/8" extension to get the plug out. 3 bottles for the rear and 2 for the front should suffice. Just fill them up until the fluid starts to drip out of the fill hole. You may need friction modifier if you have a LS.

look at the axle code on the driver side door sticker, D2, D4, or L73 are LS. I've EB with and without LS so check the code.

i recommend royal purple 75/140:thumbsup:

I am a big synthetic fan, however, won't 75/140 bog the diff down, and or burn a lot more fuel because of the heavy drag from such a thick diff fluid? Are you currently using 75/140 in both diffs. What is your fuel usage like? I admire the extra protection, but again, what about fuel usage and power repsonse, does it also affect take offs? Thank you all for your responses:thumbsup:!:)
i recommend royal purple 75/140:thumbsup:

I am a big synthetic fan, however, won't 75/140 bog the diff down, and or burn a lot more fuel because of the heavy drag from such a thick diff fluid? Are you currently using 75/140 in both diffs. What is your fuel usage like? I admire the extra protection, but again, what about fuel usage and power repsonse, does it also affect take offs? Thank you all for your responses:thumbsup:!:)

75 is the weight of the oil and is thinner than 80 means it is lighter and easier for the gears but the higher viscosity level of 140 protects it from breaking down its thermal protection..so far i dont have any problem with it and i use my ranger to pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer for my lawn mowing business 3 times a week (at least 100 miles/day loaded with 1 scag 36" walk behind mower, 1 50" scag zero turn mower, 2 backpack blowers, 2 trimmer and 3 5 gallons gas tank and apprx 50lbs of tools and spare tire) but i do flush trans and diff fluids every 10k or at least 15k miles..i have 189k on stock engine and trans..i have lockright on my diff..but still it is your personal choice.;)

personally i dont recommend pumping out fluid via manual pump. gears leave metallic residue particles that travels along with the dirty oil and remember diff dont have filters. besides it is not that hard, just put a little patience and some rtv silicone you will be fine;)

I have a 8.8 diff gasket, would that be sufficient, in addition to the silicone? And which silicone do you recommend frpm Permatex? So the 75/140 won't be too heavy for the winter temps? I am in the North East, and it is still very cold!!!!!!!!! So if one puts in anything lighter than 140 for the rear, they could cause damage and or excelerated wear? Thanks again:)
75 is the weight of the oil and is thinner than 80 means it is lighter and easier for the gears but the higher viscosity level of 140 protects it from breaking down its thermal protection..so far i dont have any problem with it and i use my ranger to pull my 6x12 enclosed trailer for my lawn mowing business 3 times a week (at least 100 miles/day loaded with 1 scag 36" walk behind mower, 1 50" scag zero turn mower, 2 backpack blowers, 2 trimmer and 3 5 gallons gas tank and apprx 50lbs of tools and spare tire) but i do flush trans and diff fluids every 10k or at least 15k miles..i have 189k on stock engine and trans..i have lockright on my diff..but still it is your personal choice.;)

personally i dont recommend pumping out fluid via manual pump. gears leave metallic residue particles that travels along with the dirty oil and remember diff dont have filters. besides it is not that hard, just put a little patience and some rtv silicone you will be fine;)

The only gasket maker type stuff we use anymore is "right stuff" which is now owned by permatex. It comes in what looks like a cheese wiz can or in a small caulk type tube.

Here is a pic of all the different types of containers it can come in.. I like the cheese wiz style.

theRightStuff.jpg

~Mark

silicone is good enough but if you were planning to service your diff more often then i would go with the gasket less the silicone (that is what i do, but i service my diff every 10k and never encounter a leak before its time to service) 75/140 is also good enough since its thinner than 85/90...but it depends on how you use your truck..i do crazy hauling that's why i go with 75/140 but even just driving it around with it it doesnt really affect that much even on cold weather (i live in nw illinois and we do have crazy cold weather here too and the wind chill) i never had problem, besides gears are metals rubbing each other so you make sure the oil film thermal viscosity level is there...75/110 will be ideal for average use but it is hard to find, i wouldnt go lower than 110 on 75...but then again this is my preference the way i use the truck and never had problem. goodluck:)

Thanks guys! I want to use Amsoil, but I just can't wait. I may get it for the mid to late summer. I too like to change my diffs out at 10,000 miles or so. I may just go with Mobil 1 75w-140 for the moment, because 85w-140 is way too thick?? Or could one get away with 85w-140 right now? Again, otherwise I will just get Mobil 1 75w-140:D. Thanks again!:)
silicone is good enough but if you were planning to service your diff more often then i would go with the gasket less the silicone (that is what i do, but i service my diff every 10k and never encounter a leak before its time to service) 75/140 is also good enough since its thinner than 85/90...but it depends on how you use your truck..i do crazy hauling that's why i go with 75/140 but even just driving it around with it it doesnt really affect that much even on cold weather (i live in nw illinois and we do have crazy cold weather here too and the wind chill) i never had problem, besides gears are metals rubbing each other so you make sure the oil film thermal viscosity level is there...75/110 will be ideal for average use but it is hard to find, i wouldnt go lower than 110 on 75...but then again this is my preference the way i use the truck and never had problem. goodluck:)

They put that plug in a horrible spot. With the fuel tank skid plate, it is hard to get to with the vehicle on the ground.

Back