• Register Today It's free!

AWD to 4wd Conversion

TheCobra5.0

Reaction score
City, State
MARYLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looking to buy 98 Exp 5.0
I am just curious about how someone can go about doing away with full time AWD and converting it over to the part time switch on the dash or manual 4WD with 4 Low for a 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD.

*Can it be done and What will work?

I am not a fan of full time AWD, however I can adapt to it, does anyone offroad with an AWD System and manage without a 4 low?

Thanks in Advance:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank You! Liked what I seen in both links you gave me.

5.0L AWD = soccer mom grocery getter SUV
5.0L 4x4 = tank

5.0L AWD = soccer mom grocery getter SUV
5.0L 4x4 = tank
Agreed...

I might go ahead and pick this Explorer up then. Im gonna find me the transfer case, driveshafts, and parts that Im gonna be needing too, After I purchase.

I would like to see a video of an AWD 5.0 wheeling...I know jtsmith (turdle...whatever he is called now) has pics of his kinda wheeling but I would like to see some AWD rock crawling in action

the AWD is not a true AWD = wheel that slips/wheel that grips like a porsche or Subi, instead in teh 5.0L trucks it is a 60/40 split, 60% rear tires, 40% front tires at all times.

It does OKAY in the sand, mud, snow, but not NEARLY as well as a true 50/50 split and the AWD has no low range.... there is no comparison really, the 5.0L AWD = great for the street/wet roads, but it takes its toll on front end components and robs power and MPG

To me the AWD t case was a band aid, Ford was left with 5.0L engines in 96 and then stuffed them into the sploder, they had no 4x4 t case that would fit, so they came up with this simple small AWD full time case... but thats just my educated guess... thank goodness the F-150 came out with the 4r70w trans and a real selectable low range t case

Back