Questions on 1986 Ford Bronco2 engine swap with 97 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on 1986 Ford Bronco2 engine swap with 97 4.0

hopper62

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 ford bronco2
I'm learning quick here by reading all the info, i didn't know the differences in 4.0 ford engines, and the years. so here it goes,I'm trying to get your guys input on a 97 4.0 explorer motor obd2 putting it my 86 bronco, i know its not going to be easy i have turned wrenches and i have bought the evtm electrical wiring diagrams. my question is is their ways to piggy back the pcm/ecu's together sense ones a obd1 other obd2. or just take the dash which i dont like out of the explorer and put it in the bronco2 and the explorer is auto and the bronco2 manual also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using custom gauges would be the way to go.

Either custom OBDII compatible, or go cheap and just use old fashioned steam gauges.

Have a visit to Dicks speedotach, discuss your plan with them, you can pick their brain for ideas and they are happy to chat about all things gauges.

Here's a link to the web site.
http://www.dicksspeedotach.com/ and yes their here in Phoenix..... ..

Welcome to the forum!
I can't help with your questions, but I did move your thread into the BII section.

Greetings, I'm currently doing the same with my own '86 with the exception of using a 4.0 from a '93 Explorer. Which wiring schematics are you using by chance? Can't seem to find a decent set to use.

RacinDrummin from TRS did an 06 swap into a 90. He is running it off the OBDI computer. Go to therangerstation.com and search for "El Taco".

I had a friend that done one of these swaps and I got involuntarily volunteered to do the wiring. Its been back in the 90's so I can't remember all the details.
I remember using the 4.0 harness under the hood and dash and splicing all the connectors. I had to go from the front bumper to the rear bumper because of the fuel pump. It was a major job and not one I would do anytime soon. I remember using about 400 butt connectors, lol and two Haynes manuals for the wiring diagrams.

I got everything to work but the fuel gauge. That one I couldn't figure out and the owner couldn't wait to drive it. It did fly! :)

Back