Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that was mentioned a few days ago but you still can't build one on Ford Canada website. Not sure if there are any sites yet to build a 'Canadian' model.

Peter

I think Ford is still to decide on prices due to dollars disparity, probably that is why...

Does anyone know why the 2016 Explorer is not a 6th generation but just a redesigned 5th?

I ask because 1st generation was 1990-1994, 2nd generation 1995-2001, 3rd generation 2002-2005, 4th generation 2006-2010, and 5th generation 2011-present

Based on history, it should be a 6th generation.

Welcome to the Forum legends96.:wavey:
Ii's likely because it is considered a 'refreshed' model and not a redesigned one.

Peter

I love everything about the 2016. We have a 2014 4wd xlt. I always wanted the liftgate, and the front exterior looks awesome!! I'll have to talk my husband into taking over the 2014, because I want the 16 bad!!

Welcome to the Forum legends96.:wavey:
Ii's likely because it is considered a 'refreshed' model and not a redesigned one.

Peter

Thank you. I wonder if the 6th generation is right around the corner or will the refreshed model last around four years or so.

I wonder if only the Platinum model has the new rectangular exhaust pipes? One of the pictures in the above link show an exhaust pipe much similar to what we have now.

Peter

Me tinks you are correct Peter. Looks like the Plat will be the only one to have the rectangular exhaust to separate it from the 'low rent' boys! :D

frank

I wonder if only the Platinum model has the new rectangular exhaust pipes? One of the pictures in the above link show an exhaust pipe much similar to what we have now.

Peter

well, yeah, I was mistaken, Explorer has 6F while F-150 has 6R transmission, but anyway, 6F transmission is developed with cooperation of GM, so essentially new GM 420hp rated turbo engine has same transmission as Explorer. There is a space for some juice...

GM's Turbo Engine when installed in the FWD based XTS (using the tranny shared with Ford) is rated at 410hp & more importantly only 369 lb-ft of torque. The same engine in the CTS-VSport (RWD based with a different tranny) makes 420hp & 430 lb-ft of torque.

So it is clearly the FWD based tranny (shared between GM & Ford) are limited in Torque capacity. The Turbo engines (GM's 3.6 & Ford's 3.5) are much more powerful than what the tranny can handle.

Peter

The Sport also has the integrated rectangular outlets.

Did Ford ditch the ambient lighting? From videos and pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like the 2016 Explorer has it anymore.

Looks like they may have. It is not listed in the 301A package I used to build a 2016 Limited and it was there for the 2015. They also have done away with the 302A package on the 2016 Limited.

Peter

Did Ford ditch the ambient lighting? From videos and pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like the 2016 Explorer has it anymore.

On the order guide it's listed under standard equipment on the Limited, Platinum and 401A Sport.

Does anyone know why the 2016 Explorer is not a 6th generation but just a redesigned 5th?

I ask because 1st generation was 1990-1994, 2nd generation 1995-2001, 3rd generation 2002-2005, 4th generation 2006-2010, and 5th generation 2011-present

Based on history, it should be a 6th generation.

Generations are based the underlying platform. The 2011-2015 and 2016 run on the same platform.

On the order guide it's listed under standard equipment on the Limited, Platinum and 401A Sport.

Thank you. I just looked and saw it listed. I must be blind.

I was looking at the Price & Build and the ambient lighting isn't there as standard. I suspect that not all the packages are shown there yet because the Platinum only has the 600A package which shows a lot of 'manual' items that should be 'powered'. As well, the Limited is missing a 302A package compared to the 2015 model.
I suspect this site will be further updated as we get closer to the actual production date.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking at the Price & Build and the ambient lighting isn't there as standard. I suspect that not all the packages are shown there yet because the Platinum only has the 600A package which shows a lot of 'manual' items that should be 'powered'. As well, the Limited is missing a 302A package compared to the 2015 model.
I suspect this site will be further updated as we get closer to the actual production date.

Peter

I think you are right. The ambient lighting isn't listed on the main website, but it is when you are looking at the mobile website on a phone. I'm interested in the 2016 sport and saw ambient lighting on the mobile site, but not on the main site. I did a google search and saw ambient lighting on the Ford press release for the 2016 Ford Explorer. Ambient lighting is one of my favorite features on Ford vehicles.

Back