Anti-sway bar link replacement guide w/pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti-sway bar link replacement guide w/pics

vervepipes

Reaction score
City, State
Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Well it was time to change my anti-sway bar links so I brought a camera. This is what I found one day after hearing loud clunks every time I hit uneven ground:
100_0314Small.jpg

As much as I dont like NAPA, I'm a sucker and keep going back to them. The job would have neen made easier if the bolts were 1 or 2 MM longer to help the nuts grab the thread. The kit comes with both sides (indevidually packaged per side) loosely in a bag, but here is what the stackup should look like:
100_0316Small.jpg

If your old link is broken, removal could be as simple as pulling down (or up) on the remaining bit, or else some release-all and a 15MM socket for the bottom and 16MM socket for the top will do the job. When I removed the non broken one, the nut was on the bottom and the bolt was passed down from the top, so because of clearance issues I lifted the truck a bit from the front crossmember to be able to pull the bolt out.

*note: I realize that safety wise I did the job wrong, I installed it from the bottom up. The reason for this is in the case of a nut letting go, the bolt will not simply drop out and disconnect the anti sway bar, so I may end up re-installing them later in the propor fashion, but you can still use the pics as reference, just start from the top instead of bottom.

start the stackup with a washer and bushing (they bushing "cups into the washer and the smallest part of the bushing should fit into the holes on the arm and bar, so it's hard to get it wrong)and pass it through the first hole
100_0317Small.jpg

Then continue with a bushing and washer
100_0318Small.jpg

This is where you would add the copper coloured tube spacer. The next half is identical to the first portion. To be able to get the nut started, you then have to drop the truck back down and tighten away. I dont know about a torque because you dont want to wreck the bushings, so I just put it tight with about 3-4 threads showing. The new bolt and nut were 11/16

Hope this helps anybody who wants to do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My truck just broke the left rear link. For the life of me I cannot get it off. I used a hammer to try to slam the bolt down out of that composite sleeve it is in, but no luck. I was able to back it off about a half an inch to keep the top of the link from slamming into the sway bar end when I hit bumps. I have broken away most of the sleeve, but the bolt will not come out.
Anyone have any ideas? my bar link is the same as the picture above with the top nut broken. I will go to Pepboys and see if I can get something to pull on the nut and force it off.

15-21 ft/Lbs Is what these are supposed to be torqued down to. At that point the bushings will look squished pretty good.

I didn't change my rear links, but if the top nut is broken off you should be able to slide it out. Maybe you just need to use one of those products like liquid wrench to lubricate it a little to slide it out. When the front ones broke on my explorer i also couldn't slide it out, so i sprayed it down with wd40 and used a pair of vicegrips pull it out.

Anyway good luck.

I sprayed the heck out of it...lol. The shaft within that composite sleeve is very deformed from corrosion. I sprayed it as I broke away the sleeve. I can get it to turn but not pull out. I will try again this weekend.

My truck is under warranty, but the hassle from the dealer guys and fear they will just be dumb brutes keeps me away. The end links are cheap enough to replace, but I didn't think it would such a pain in the arse...

Hmm I dont know then, maybe someone else will chime in with a good suggestion.

Can't get the blade into a clear position to cut the head of the bolt. Going to buy a big arse pry bar and try to force it out.

Plasma Torch?

Anyone know if the Ford Explorer Sway Bar Links are the same as the Ford Explorer Sport

I cut mine out Sway Bar Link) with a 5" waffer wheel. I replaced them with Moog. Worked Great.

My truck just broke the left rear link. For the life of me I cannot get it off. I used a hammer to try to slam the bolt down out of that composite sleeve it is in, but no luck. I was able to back it off about a half an inch to keep the top of the link from slamming into the sway bar end when I hit bumps. I have broken away most of the sleeve, but the bolt will not come out.
Anyone have any ideas? my bar link is the same as the picture above with the top nut broken. I will go to Pepboys and see if I can get something to pull on the nut and force it off.

I had the same problem on my front link. I ended up using a sawsall with a metal cutting blade. I sawed off close to the bottom and was able to drive the top piece out, then hammer the bottom out as well. Good luck.

omg this helps so much I bought the new end links and they are too short. about to freak out. took them back to the store they said you have to jack the control arm itsself up to make up the difference. does this sound right? after looking back online these are the longest ones they sell. .5 inches too short!!

Many have put the end link bolt heads on the bottom and used a floor or bottle jack to start the threads.

Do not over torque, about 15-20 ft/lbs for polyurethane, or until you can barely turn the center sleeves by hand.

liquid wrench penetrating oil worked well for mine idk how stuck it was before that though

for me the hardest part is getting the old ones off (broken or not). i found the saws-all worked pretty well. what a dumb-ass design Ford has. i used the Moog problem solver end-links with the blue colored bushings. as long as you take both old link bolts out, the sway bar will just swing up & down. i had no problem getting the nuts on, but if you do (like other's have said) put the bolt in from the bottom and jack up the control arm as necessary. i found i had to re-tighten the nuts after a few months as they started making noise. no problems since.

STILL the best cheap suspension mod I've ever done. The Moog K7275 end links with soft blue thermoplastic rubber bushings are known for blowing out, or pulling through the cupped washers. Replacing them with the 7/16" I.D. ES poly bushings made them almost bulletproof and they will probably never fail. Can also be tightened without deformation.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2791778&postcount=10

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back