• Register Today It's free!

Best replacement spark plugs?

johng_22

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm at 60K miles on my 2004 EB AWD 4.6 SOHC and I'm going to be going through doing all of the standard maintenance I do at 60K on all of my vehicles. Belt change, Spark plug, spark plug wireset, fluid and filter change. I'm wondering which 'if any' is the most recommended spark plug for this engine? At worst I'll just put original equipment back in but wondering if there is a favored plug that runs well for this engine. I've looked around on the forum but didn't see a post for this though it likely exists somewhere in the wealth of information posted. Any help is sincerely appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously doubt that your plugs need to be changed at 60k miles.

I recommend Motorcraft plugs.

Motorcraft is the Ford OEM part, and is always recomended. I believe Advanced Auto Parts carries Motorcraft?:navajo:

yeah stick with the Motorcraft, or Autolite (they make motorcraft plugs) don't get sucked into all the gimmik plugs out there that cost more, for the most part they are all junk.

I tried the Autolite Iridium plugs in mine and they work fine. Better than the OEM double platinums? Doubtful. They weren't that much more, so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

Ditto on the "gimmick" plugs. Most are worse quality than the OEM Motorcraft/Autolite plugs that were factory installed. Save your money.

Ditto on the "gimmick" plugs. Most are worse quality than the OEM Motorcraft/Autolite plugs that were factory installed. Save your money.

yeah I tried the super quad platnum v groove split spark extreme fire plugs :D

They cost me a fortune, but I figure hey they will last a long time, yeah right in 13K I had to replace them all because the planum fell off 2 plugs and one lost it's conductor what a bunch of junk so back to the standard ford platnums :thumbsup:

Seriously doubt that your plugs need to be changed at 60k miles.

I recommend Motorcraft plugs.

Mine were pretty well junk at ~70k. The gaps were over 0.090" on the worst ones. There was no platinum left on them!

Sounds more like an exception than the rule.

I have seen many 100k plugs that looked almost new and still gapped properly.

i used bosch plugs when i started replacing my own each year... i figure it's pretty cheap, why not? it's tip money from one night...

when i first changed them, it was sputtering/skipping horribly! sounded like it was misfiring and about to die... come to find out, with 250K on the truck, the plugs had only been changed twice... i switched them, and it felt like a whole nother engine had been put in.

that's my two cents, but if many people suggest motorcraft, i'd go with them...

Sounds more like an exception than the rule.

I have seen many 100k plugs that looked almost new and still gapped properly.

I think my factory service schedule recommended plugs at either 60k or 75k, but not 100k. I'll have to look at it again to make sure, but I could have sworn it was a shorter interval than 100k.
I too have seen many vehicles that have well exceeded their normal service life of platinum plugs. Best example being my neighbor's '98 Caravan...212,000 miles on the original Champion double platinums! She brought it in for a problem with misfires under load, and of course that's the first place you start. My techs and myself all couldn't believe the thing even ran. There was absolutely no electrode left! The plugs looked like one of those HEI spark testers...Just a hole in the porcelain where the electrode should have been, and about 2/3 of the ground electrode was completely gone!

I bought my explorer with 82k on it. I am up to 116k now. I am not sure if the plugs have been changed, I have not done it since I have had it. It runs fine. I should probably change them though I guess.

Mike, could your use of E85 fuel shorten the life of the plugs?

In theory, it should extend the service life of them. E85 burns about 200° cooler, and produces no carbon deposits. It's doubtful that the previous owner (lessee) used E85 in it, since they lived in an area that didn't have an E85 station nearby.

For giggles, I pulled one of my replacement plugs that now has about 25,000 miles on it, and it looked like the day I installed them.

I bought my explorer with 82k on it. I am up to 116k now. I am not sure if the plugs have been changed, I have not done it since I have had it. It runs fine. I should probably change them though I guess.
I'd do them just so you know they've been done. It's an easy and inexpensive job.

I'd do them just so you know they've been done. It's an easy and inexpensive job.

I may do it. I have not even looked at it yet. I know a lot of newer cars can be a pain to change plugs on though.

I may do it. I have not even looked at it yet. I know a lot of newer cars can be a pain to change plugs on though.
These are quite easy. The 4.0 V6 should take about 30-45 minutes to do all 6. Get a swivel spark plug socket and various length extensions, and it'll go pretty easy.

Even though it's not recommened till 100k I would still replace them at 60k. I have worked as a Ford mechanic before getting on the fire dept. full time and still work part time as an auto mechanic. I've seen plugs on the 4.6 and 5.4 seize in the holes if left in too long.

Even though it's not recommened till 100k I would still replace them at 60k. I have worked as a Ford mechanic before getting on the fire dept. full time and still work part time as an auto mechanic. I've seen plugs on the 4.6 and 5.4 seize in the holes if left in too long.

I don't mean to threadjack but what is there to do if they seize in the hole?

I don't mean to threadjack but what is there to do if they seize in the hole?

It's unlikely on the 4.0, somewhat possible on the 4.6. I've never had it happen on anything I've worked on (yet), but talking to a Ford dealer tech, he recommended squirting some good penetrating oil (such as PB Blaster) down each spark plug hole, putting the coils back on, and driving it for a week or so. Then on removal, turn each one out about 1/8 of a turn, then back in, then 1/4 turn, and back in, and so on till each one is out. Reef on them like a gorilla, and you will break one (usually #8) off in the head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use NGK's in my 2004 4.6L (same as yours, bought it as a crate motor and swapped it in my 97GT).

Any of these will work:

V-Power TR55 3951 .054 gap

G-Power TR55GP 3403 .054 gap

Laser Platinum PTR5F-11 6579 .054

Iridium IX TR55IX 7164 .054 <--- I use this one, but its in a Mustang GT. :D

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

I also TQ every plug and use a light coating of anti-seize compound on the threads.

PhotoID3032.jpg

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...ubricants/Permatex_Anti-Seize_Lubricant_a.htm

Back