Mountaineer AWD, binding on sharp turns | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer AWD, binding on sharp turns

I had the same problem. As I turned the wheels and got closer to full lock the truck would slow down and eventually stop once at full lock. I changed the fluid in the transfer case and it fixed the problem. It started out subtle then as I drove it over the course of a few months it got worse. The fluid looked brown and water thin. Replaced with Mercon V. Just my 2 cents so I hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem. As I turned the wheels and got closer to full lock the truck would slow down and eventually stop once at full lock. I changed the fluid in the transfer case and it fixed the problem. It started out subtle then as I drove it over the course of a few months it got worse. The fluid looked brown and water thin. Replaced with Mercon V. Just my 2 cents so I hope this helps.

i'll have to give that a shot this weekend. thanks!

hello guys,
i own a Mercury Mountaineer 2005 which has the same issue as described here above - in low speed, when turning in curves the car binds up - it feels that the rear wheels don't move at all.
I brought it to a shop and they said it was the transfer case - they changed both TC and rear differential, but the problem persists, same as before. (i spent all day at the work shop today, but no success)
Now, would be interesting to know what was the outcome of your issue?
I hope i will get an answer - would definitelly help a lot.

Thanks

hello guys,
i own a Mercury Mountaineer 2005 which has the same issue as described here above - in low speed, when turning in curves the car binds up - it feels that the rear wheels don't move at all.
I brought it to a shop and they said it was the transfer case - they changed both TC and rear differential, but the problem persists, same as before. (i spent all day at the work shop today, but no success)
Now, would be interesting to know what was the outcome of your issue?
I hope i will get an answer - would definitelly help a lot.

Thanks
Did you ever get an answer?

I own a 1998 merc mountaineer that has that binding issue, what was the outcome of the guy that started this thread.?
We changed the fluid in the t-case. Was ok, but then when it warmed up it becomes very stiff when parking. Back tires like to squeak as you turn in.

So what do we do, take front drive shaft out to see if it stops the binding? Or check the cv's?

Brown wire trick?

Hi folks,

What is the brown-wire trick folks refer to? It is the same as the "BWM" I've heard on this thread?

Have an AWD '97 Aerostar and this has been an intermittant problem for about a year.

Thanks.

--Stangohr
Aiken, SC

My 02 Mountaineer is doing the same binding when in a tight turn, I feel quite sure the tcase is locked in 4wd. What is the fix to unlock the VC?

Hi,

I need help please. I have an 03 Mountaineer that is locking up on sharp turns left and right. I removed the front drive shaft and tje truck deives great no binding. I have replaced the transfer case and front and rear differentials. Its still doing the same thing thousands of dollars later. Only thing left to replace is actual drive shaft or actual cv joints. I really need truck to be awd so I want to get this repaired. Is it possible that the drive shaft or the cv joints could be the reason for the binding. When front deive shaft is on it feels like the truck is on AWD all the time. I also opened up my old transfer case and it looked fine. No shavings and all teeth there. Can someone please shed some light on what to try next. Please!!!! Dont mind doing either the shafts or the cvs if I know that will fix the problem.

Help

Sounds like the front drive shaft, very common issue with your truck. I've got them if you need one just PM me. You can take the shaft out and drive the truck around..see if the problem goes away before spending money. Just some advice DONT GET A REBUILT ONE. The front prop on the 5.0s are in use WAY too much and it's not money well spent.

Did you ever get an answer?

Same issue anyone resolve already replaced TC

Back