• Register Today It's free!

Why would "THEFT" light stay on?

Phili602

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
I have a 1998 XLT Explorer and whenever I press the lock button on either the remote or the door to lock the doors, the THEFT light stays on and flashes brighter and its causing my battery to drain. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1998 XLT Explorer and whenever I press the lock button on either the remote or the door to lock the doors, the THEFT light stays on and flashes brighter and its causing my battery to drain. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Based off of my assumption (on my 98), all second gens have the theft light that flashes.
Let's specify here...
Is it causing your battery to completely lose charge, or just drain it slightly?

Well my battery was fine until i came out after leaving it sitting for a few days and it didnt want to start.... The theft light flashes on and off even when the doors are unlocked, but when i press the door lock button on either the door or remote, the theft light stays illuminated and just flashes brighter even though its already lit

Did you get your battery tested?
The ECU, radio, and whatever other electronics also are using power to stay on. I'll have to take a look at my X and see what its theft light is doin.

Yes i got my battery tested. 1st time was at a oreilly and they said it was no good. But I think the oreilly i went to is shady because I took the same battery to autozone and they said its good and fully charged it for me. 1 of the cells on the battery were low so I just added some distilled water and it seems to be keeping its charge but havent put it back in the x because I dont want it to drain it again. My previous x had the theft light and it would flash all the time weather the doors were locked or not. and it wouldnt stay lit and flash like this 1 is doing.

Any suggestions on what could be causing the theft light to stay on at all times? How could i disconnect that light so it doesnt drain my battery?

for the past few occasions that had my instrument cluster all apart, my theft light bulb has been a tiny red LED. Even with that left on for a week, it can't drain a car battery dry.

Maybe there is something else draining your battery?

If it's blinking super fast and you hear a relay clicking at the same rate, then this usually means that the battery voltage is too low. If the battery is ~3-ish years old, then it's probably time to replace it. Another culprit could be of course the alternator not charging the batt.

It may be another issue then besides the light

Did you ever figure this out? I replaced my starter yesterday, and after reconnecting battery, I started the truck to verify it was fixed, and immediately shut it off...three seconds later I tried again, and lo and behold the theft light and dash lights went dim, and clicking under dash (pats). I got on Ed here and found I had to insert keys in one by one to reprogram so to speak. All works fine now except theft light stays on when locked, and flashes a little brighter while its already on. What could this be? Did I miss a step?

Anyone? I have to disconnect and reconnect my battery, and cycle my keys to get it to start every time.! Dealer says that has never happened before...go figure..and wants 100$ plus to look at it. After a day the theft light flashes normally. Is there a sequence of things I need to do?
Any help is appreciated.

Back