PTU Problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the symptoms of this leak? Does a check engine light or other warning come on? Just like to be prepared just in case...
The new owner said he heard some 'motor noise' and then found fluid on the driveway when his problem occurred. No other indications that he mentioned.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new owner said he heard some 'motor noise' and then found fluid on the driveway when his problem occurred. No other indications that he mentioned.

Peter

Thanks, I always check under where my cars are parked for fluid leaks regularly - as well as off course under the hood.

Want to give you guys some update:
This morning I dropped off the car to the dealership and they will not have anymore look at it today. I think, OK let me get a rental again and hope will get the reimbursement like last time. I got the rental, went to office and called Ford customer service. Regional manager called back and said this time they will not give me rental any more!! Their policy is I can have free rental every 12-month!!

OK, Ford, listen, you cannot guarantee that your car will break less than one time per year and you have so funny customer care rule, I will not be your customer anymore. Once it is fixed, I will try best to trade in it and let everyone stay away from Ford. Period.

You're not the only one. Mines in the shop again and again and again and again. 2013 Ford Explorer Base AWD 3.5L V6 with 11,500 miles. You would think if this problem has been happening for years, they would do something about the design problem. Now I have to be without my vehicle for another week (because the dealer is so backlogged) and have to spend money on cleaning the huge spot in my garage. Not to mention lost work time and I had to beg to get a rental. At what point in time does Ford just buy back this vehicle. They had to have put at least 2K in repairs into it already and I still have another 1 1/2 years on the lease. Im guessing I'll be taking it back again in another 2 to 3,000 miles for something else. Before that it was the door ajar alarm, then the fuel pump, then bucking while starting, then a bad battery. When is the madness going to stop?:mad:

You're not the only one. Mines in the shop again and again and again and again. 2013 Ford Explorer Base AWD 3.5L V6 with 11,500 miles. You would think if this problem has been happening for years, they would do something about the design problem. Now I have to be without my vehicle for another week...

Send me your info so I can look into ways to help, dlt0028. In your PM, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum ember1205.:wavey:
I don't recall reading many, if any, posts on the differential seal going. There are posts on the PTU seal leaking.
In regards to the liftgate. Have you checked that perhaps the previous owner had set a height limit on the door opening? I set a limit on mine because I used to open it in the garage and it would hit the garage door if I let open all the way.
The rear view camera will not be as bright in low light conditions as it is in daylight. That sounds as if it is normal.
When you say the phone isn't connected, are you referring to the MFT display? I would think that it would be normal for "searching for Phone' to come up if the MFT hasn't connected to it first.

Peter

Oil Leak 2013 XLT 3.5 V6

Has anyone experienced an oil leak? I have a small leak showing at the rear attach point of the removable air duct system (the rectangular cover that must be removed to change the oil). It doesn't drip (yet) but it is definately oil. I could not readily find the source. I have 30,000 miles. I'm concerned this will get worse, and I don't know if the warranty will cover it. It was not caused by oil residue or dripage due to the oil change itself.

Any similar events out there?

The PTO on mine leaked, but didn't drip... But that's not motor oil.
You're still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper, and 5/60 power train warranty, so there's no reason a leak would not be covered unless you modified something that resulted in the leak.

Has anyone experienced an oil leak? I have a small leak showing at the rear attach point of the removable air duct system (the rectangular cover that must be removed to change the oil). It doesn't drip (yet) but it is definately oil...

Hi psj,

I recommend making an appointment so your dealership can get this diagnosed. Once you've had your visit, be sure to let us know how things went. I'll be here in case you need my assistance.

Crystal

Thank you for the replies. I have an appointment with my dealer for week after next and I will provide results here.

In case anyone might be curious... Turned out that the entire PTU (Power Transfer Unit), or front differential, was toast. This is the second used Ford I've purchased in the last 15 months, and the second one that has blown the PTU. My dealer has seen a total of THREE of these in the last two years - two of them were my vehicles.

Seems like a hugely weak link on these powertrains.

In case anyone might be curious... Turned out that the entire PTU (Power Transfer Unit), or front differential, was toast. This is the second used Ford I've purchased in the last 15 months, and the second one that has blown the PTU. My dealer has seen a total of THREE of these in the last two years - two of them were my vehicles.

Seems like a hugely weak link on these powertrains.

Coincidence? Probably not!

Coincidence? Probably not!

Both cars had similar mileage on them 35-40k. Both blew out the PTU within the first six months. Neither vehicle was driven hard by me.

When the dealer 'talked' me out of my 4 year lease after 3 years the Explorer had only 12k miles on it. I found out from the new owner a few weeks later that he had the PTU seal leak.

Peter

Never a good idea to lease a vehicle beyond its bumper to bumper warranty... too much risk there. (Not saying PTU leak wouldn't be covered under powertrain Peter).

I had the 48 month ESP warranty that the new owner took over so it was covered.

Peter

I had the PTU seal leak and then they changed the whole PTU - there is a thread with a pic of the work order that they did on mine and it was only about 8K miles at the time.

Both of mine were covered under Ford CPO program. But, still...

Bryceb, you were correct. It was the PTO seal that was leaking. Took it in yesterday and got it fixed under warranty.

The only question that remains is should I now purchase an extended warranty plan??!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bryceb, you were correct. It was the PTO seal that was leaking. Took it in yesterday and got it fixed under warranty.

The only question that remains is should I now purchase an extended warranty plan??!!!

I'm at 42,000 with no issue from it since the repair early on in my Explorer's life.

Extended Warranty's are a gamble. I'd just as well take the money for the warranty and put it in some safe investment and hope to never use it for the car.

Back