Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09)

John_Rock

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
Please make sure you get your Explorer checked or updated with this recall. If you have the old Cruise Control Deactivation Switch, it's possible that brake fluid can leak and then catch on fire.

According to the link below this affects 2nd Generation Explorers from 1995 until 2002. So it's hard to say at what point the 1st Generation Sport Tracs got the newer safer switch and don't need this recall. But definitely my 2001 Sport Trac needed this recall.

http://www.ford.com/dynamic/metatag...peed-control-deactivation-switch-recall-09s09

Ford is recalling all remaining vehicles – approximately 4.5 million U.S. vehicles – equipped with Texas Instruments speed control deactivation switches.

While the data show the majority of the vehicles being recalled do not pose a significant safety risk, we are recalling the vehicles to reassure customers and eliminate any future concerns.

This recall affects older models, including discontinued vehicles. The majority is greater than 10 model years old, with some up to 18 model years old.

This is a picture of the harness installed by a dealership on my 2000 Explorer Limited for this recall.

CIMG0343.jpg

I know some members have replaced the actual switch. Notice how my switch is an Orange color. I believe the newer safer switches are black.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

09S09 Recall Switch Photo in 96 Explorer

Spent three hours at the dealer for the 09S09 Ford Recall on my 1996 Ford Explorer, Limited, V6, 4WD. This switch was already replaced in 1998 and Ford wanted to do it again. I'm okay with anything they want to do for nothing. I'm just waiting for the recall notice that says "... we have to replace your engine, transmission, front and rear axles, tires and we have to repaint the car... " Ahhhh, very wishful thinking. The reason I still have it... I like it and the seat is molded to my butt.

Note: my replacement looks different from the above poster for the 2000 model.

759086294_rBRuU-M.jpg

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 engine, I had to get this done. Its quick and easy. Took about 15mins and was free.

It is.

my truck wasn't insured for fires and ford is telling me it probabally wasn't the switch and it needs to be inspected by a pro and he wants $2500 to do it so i'm screwed. also i'm in canada so i don't have many of the resources usa does.

going to have my 96 sport done tomorrow.

I just wanted to say Thank You to John for posting it. I have a 2001 ST made in 10/00 and it was included in the recall. I called the local dealer and gave the guy the vin and he said to bring it in as soon as I can. He also said the paper work took longer than the job itself. I dont think I was there 8 minutes. Not even enough time to read all the signs and prices for services.

the closest dealership is just under 2 hours away for me. i got there about 8:30ish, did the paperwork. went to the bathroom and when i walked out of it the guy was waiting on me. handed me my paperwork and said "you're all set".that was it...another almost 2 hours home.

Yeah, it would be nice if they would just mail a harness, but I understand the liability of doing it there, making sure it was done, and signed off on by the customer. That sucks... 4 hours!

I live in Crested Butte, CO and had to drive to Montrose, CO so it's a beautiful drive. And hey, I got to go to a Wal mart Supercenter too. Not a total loss. :)

crap sad to see this one here my friends 95 burned to the ground not to long ago and then i received a notice in the mail for my 2002 sport and got it done immediately at ford. sad though my buddy had subs, amp,gps,cb radio, sat. radio,i pod, some hunting gear, and from a recent trip upstate there was some leftover 30-30 rounds and they were going off bunch of people called the police around his house, he had just got new 33 inch tires too. while waiting to hear back from ford he ended up just getting it towed out (kinda hard to have a incinerated vehicle sit on a residential street for weeks on end) lucky it wasnt closer to his house or worse yet the garage. cant say it was over this recall but it was never taken in for it definitely go get this done right away

Does anyone know if Ford has to change the switch or just add the fuse harness ? I had the recall done last week and just the harness was added.

I just replaced the "ear" switches on the steering wheel and ran the diagnostic test, got 3 flashes result = brake deactivation switch is bad.

Edit: Should have spilled some brake fluid on brake deactivation switch, which Ford calls Cruise Control Cutout Switch. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...HaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

Thanks for all the info. I had an f10 fuse keep blowing and looked that problem up here. I used a meter to check and my SPDS was shorted. BTW, I found one on Amazon for $12.67.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYLZDO I may have to go a few days without the tap-brakes-to-cutout-speed-control function, but it is better than being without my brake lights. This forum is great.

how to adjust headlights 2001 explorer sport trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I drive a 2005 Explorer ST 4.0L V6 How can I find out if it's been recalled on it?

Back