How to: - 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
Will update this as more information becomes available.

The 2016 Explorer not only has styling changes but the entire electrical system of the vehicle was changed from the standard used in the 2011-2015.

If your 2016 Explorer did NOT come with remote start from the factory, then hardware kits must be installed. They are plug and play which means no splicing of wiring.

You will have three choices:

1000' Long Range One Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB - Kit with Antenna and Two FOBs: EL3Z-19G364-B
1000' Long Range Two Way System - Separate Remote Start Only FOB
Cell Phone Kit known as "Remote Access" - RMU Only: DL3Z-19A390-B
Hood Switch (BT4Z-19G366-A) + Wiring Harness (DG1Z-14B504-A) is required for Base Model Explorers.

All three off these also require the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module which includes a shock sensor that can be disabled if you wish.
VSS Kit: FT4Z-19A361-A

Installation of a kit should take roughly an hour. This includes the IDS (dealer software) programming that must be done.

IF YOU HAVE A BASE MODEL YOU MAY NEED TO INSTALL THE HOOD SWITCH ALONG WITH THE HOOD SWITCH WIRING. You will need to check to see if these are present in the vehicle. A Police Interceptor Utility ordered without the perimeter alarm will have the hood switch wiring but not the hood switch.

People are going to ask why can't I have remote start enabled and get a new FOB with the remote start button on it like the 2011-2015 models. Well the reason is how Ford has setup the remote start in the 2016 Explorer. Without remote start the FOBs work on 315mhz (North America) and with remote start the FOBs operate on 902mhz.

I will update this with part numbers as I get them.

DEALER PROGRAMMING IS REQUIRED TO ENABLE REMOTE START.

Please note the above information is for ADDING remote start to your base or XLT Explorer.

If you have a 16 Explorer that already has existing remote start and you want to add a long range or cellular kit you can do that. As long as you have the perimeter alarm the only reason to contact a dealer would be to activate the cellular kit after you have it installed. They can do this without having possession of the vehicle. The only reason the dealer would have to have physical possession of the vehicle is to enable the remote start and perimeter alarm functions which if already equipped don't need to be done over. The kits do not come with installation instructions so if you purchase a kit on line ask for the instructions from the seller.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason if I pull my Cellular Remote Access kit out of my 2014 can I then re-use everything except the airbag module harness?

Then I would just purchase the newer OBDII harness and it will work or am I looking at a new RMU?

Jason if I pull my Cellular Remote Access kit out of my 2014 can I then re-use everything except the airbag module harness?

Then I would just purchase the newer OBDII harness and it will work or am I looking at a new RMU?

You will need to get a new VSS kit. You can reuse the RMU. I did the exact same thing when going from the 13 Taurus to the 16 Sport.

Pics of my VSS/RMU installation I did in the 16 Sport.

Attachments

• VSS Mounted.JPG
    VSS Mounted.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 2,797
  • VSS Shock Sensor Adjustment.jpg
    VSS Shock Sensor Adjustment.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,764
  • VSS Ties.jpg
    VSS Ties.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,789
  • RMU.jpg
    RMU.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,960

I'm interested in this. The thing is I'm not too say with vehicle electronics. Also don't mean to derail thread but I bought led bulbs for interior and was only able to switch out the map lights and found out the 2 lights on the second and 3rd row are led boards.

I'm interested in this. The thing is I'm not too say with vehicle electronics. Also don't mean to derail thread but I bought led bulbs for interior and was only able to switch out the map lights and found out the 2 lights on the second and 3rd row are led boards.

The system is all plug and play. You just have to mount the hardware and route the harnesses. The dealer has to activate the system.

The system is all plug and play. You just have to mount the hardware and route the harnesses. The dealer has to activate the system.

I guess I am going to wait for it to come off asome crashed ones.

I did. and sorry I forgot to mention in the 2016 explorer the 2nd row and 3rd row lights are a led board. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic here so you all can see what I mean.
I wasn't aware they were different from earlier models. It would also be helpful if you added the trim level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I wasn't aware they were different from earlier models. It would also be helpful if you added the trim level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

yes they are so I wonder if they have not come out with any yet. And I will update it I had to get a base for certain reasons. I really like it though I'm just trying to add things to it I have a list of things I want to add.

yes they are so I wonder if they have not come out with any yet. And I will update it I had to get a base for certain reasons. I really like it though I'm just trying to add things to it I have a list of things I want to add.
They certainly will be more difficult to modify. The cargo area light if I'm not mistaken was also incorporated onto a circuit board in the previous models and there is a post describing how that was changed to an LED. Thanks for updating 'trim'.

Peter

They certainly will be more difficult to modify. The cargo area light if I'm not mistaken was also incorporated onto a circuit board in the previous models and there is a post describing how that was changed to an LED. Thanks for updating 'trim'.

Peter
yes well the cargo area light is like a cylinder light bulb or whatever it's called. I had not noticed I didn't put the trim level. What is the best way to upload pics on here.

yes well the cargo area light is like a cylinder light bulb or whatever it's called. I had not noticed I didn't put the trim level. What is the best way to upload pics on here.
The easiest way is to take out a $20 Elite membership. That helps to support the site, get rid of the pop ups and allows you to load right from your computer using the Manage Attachment program. The other was is to check out the 'Sticky' section in the New Members Introduction threads; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Pictures should be kept to a range of in the 800 X 600 pixels neighbourhood.

Peter

The easiest way is to take out a $20 Elite membership. That helps to support the site, get rid of the pop ups and allows you to load right from your computer using the Manage Attachment program. The other was is to check out the 'Sticky' section in the New Members Introduction threads; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Pictures should be kept to a range of in the 800 X 600 pixels neighbourhood. OK thanks

Peter

The tech at the dealership installed my Remote Start today. The process they go through sends a link to the smartphone app to your cellphone (I already had installed it) and then all you need to do is create a new user account, set it up, enter the Sim card code for the cellular connection and a Pin number.

While I was on the phone with the tech, I did all that, and from 70 miles away locked and unlocked the doors, started and shut off the engine, and made the horn beep for the "find my car" feature. :D

There is also a web address and browser interface, so you don't even need your phone to activate it.

Very cool. Love it already.

The one issue, which is kind of obvious, is no cell signal = no functionality. But hey, it has a longer range than the long range unit I had installed on my '11.

This will be handy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, Jason. It made working with the dealership very easy to ensure they ordered all the parts.

.........The one issue, which is kind of obvious, is no cell signal = no functionality. But hey, it has a longer range than the long range unit I had installed on my '11.
What are you driving now then? Your profile shows '11 XLT.

Peter

What are you driving now then? Your profile shows '11 XLT.

Peter
And that would be correct. For a couple more hours.

And I know this is OT, but I still don't like Sync2. Looking at all the factors at hand, I chose to upgrade to a '16 rather than spend the extra $$ for a '17 when they are out in a few months.

And that would be correct. For a couple more hours.

And I know this is OT, but I still don't like Sync2. Looking at all the factors at hand, I chose to upgrade to a '16 rather than spend the extra $$ for a '17 when they are out in a few months.
Congratulations on the new Explorer. I think I'll likely end up with a 2017 since the 2018 model probably won't be available to order yet when my lease is up next April 1st. If the prices shown in another post are correct, it looks like the 2017 price increase might only be $200 or $300 dollars. We should know in a few weeks, I hope.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations on the new Explorer. I think I'll likely end up with a 2017 since the 2018 model probably won't be available to order yet when my lease is up next April 1st. If the prices shown in another post are correct, it looks like the 2017 price increase might only be $200 or $300 dollars.
Thanks. The biggest hidden pricing difference is the incentives that are available for the 2016, but won't be on the 2017. I took the 0% financing, which was a net $500 savings over taking the money incentives and financing through a bank. I received a $500 loyalty cash coupon in the mail, and my dealer was able to make it $750 by finding a differen, better coupon :):thumbsup:

But back to Remote Start - as I was reading the User Manual (yes, some of us do that) I saw where the system goes into Power Saving Mode after about 3 days. It must shut down the cellular connection so it doesn't totally drain the battery.

There is a Wake Up signal mentioned, and they say it could take up to 12 hours to be effective. My guess is the system wakes up periodically, searches for a message, and if it hears one, wakes back up for 3 days.

That is good to know, as one reason I bought Remote Start was to be able to start the car in the airport parking lot when my plane lands when coming back from a trip. So now I know to send a door lock code the day before to make sure the system is awake, so I'll be able to have a warm/cool car when I get back to the satellite lot. :D

Back