Dual Moon roof Rattle | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

Do you have a pic of where the bolts are? I want to try that myself. I thought it was the roof rack but tightened everything down on that myself. They also told me they couldn't recreate a rattle I have coming from the rear passenger seat where it connects with the floor bolts. When the seat is folded up it doesn't make the noise or when there is someone sitting in the seat it doesn't make noise. It's almost as if they techs never even go for a ride in the car to hear the rattle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Waited about 45 days for the warranteed moonroof roller/motor to arrive at the dealership. After the install the headliner looks as good as when I left it and no more
Squeeks! It was worth the wait!

Guess what...2016 sport with 5k miles on it. Moon Roof has been rattling for probably the last 500 miles. When I hear it, if I push up on the back part of the front portion of the moon roof it stops.

Guess I am going to try and tighten everything up to see if that helps.

Our 2014 is/was doing it. I think we have 25k on it.

It seems worse during warm days, goes away if you push up on rear glass.

They removed, cleaned and reset glass and it went away for awhile. It is coming back.

Here is a tip for getting the tech to hear it, get a young tech. I was in the car with an older tech with hearing issues, he could not hear the frequency of the rattle. It was very loud and he couldn't pick it up. So, make sure your tech can actually hear the noise he is trying to fix.

They removed, cleaned and reset glass and it went away for awhile. It is coming back.

Here is a tip for getting the tech to hear it, get a young tech. I was in the car with an older tech with hearing issues, he could not hear the frequency of the rattle. It was very loud and he couldn't pick it up. So, make sure your tech can actually hear the noise he is trying to fix.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Good suggestion.
Please add the 'trim' level to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I had the rattle, which was documented earlier in this thread. The dealer was no help at all. I ended up using a torx with an extension and tightened up the bolts on the rails and it has not come back since, almost a year later.

Can anyone guide me to where these torx screws are? I've fixed a couple leaky sunroofs in the past but I can't seem to find the correct screws on the explorer.

Are they on the actual rail or somewhere behind the cover that closes up the area between the rail and sunroof?

Can anyone guide me to where these torx screws are? I've fixed a couple leaky sunroofs in the past but I can't seem to find the correct screws on the explorer.

Are they on the actual rail or somewhere behind the cover that closes up the area between the rail and sunroof?

Schtick your head up in the middle of the moonroof and with a flashlight look to the sides of the vehicle towards each door. Nicely tucked above between the roof of the vehicle and the moonroof glass you will see a metal frame that attaches to the glass and then attaches to the vehicle, and along that are the torx screws. They might look at little like hex head bolts, but they're not.

Schtick your head up in the middle of the moonroof and with a flashlight look to the sides of the vehicle towards each door. Nicely tucked above between the roof of the vehicle and the moonroof glass you will see a metal frame that attaches to the glass and then attaches to the vehicle, and along that are the torx screws. They might look at little like hex head bolts, but they're not.

Thanks so much for the detailed description. I was looking on the front portion the whole time. I found 8 hex screws (4 on each side) in the back). I gave them all a nice crank and we will see if that fixes it. My rattle is at the rear of the front glass panel.

We will see how it sounds tomorrow.

Mine rattles but it seems to be the part of the ceiling infront of the sunroof. No issue when the sun shade is closed but rattles like hell when it's open (regardless of windows, sunroof, etc. being opened.) Sometimes if I press really hard on it for about 5-10 seconds it goes away until I hit some rough road.

so tightening the hex bolts didn't fix my problem. To be honest I hear a bunch of different rattles and shakes. I hear something in front of the sunroof which I think I have narrowed down to the sun visor on rough roads, the sunroof still rattles, then there is something in the back that I will most likely never find.

I guess ill just turn up the music...

so tightening the hex bolts didn't fix my problem. To be honest I hear a bunch of different rattles and shakes. I hear something in front of the sunroof which I think I have narrowed down to the sun visor on rough roads, the sunroof still rattles, then there is something in the back that I will most likely never find.

I guess ill just turn up the music...
I have the same vehicle you have minus the rattling moonroof. Seems to me a visit for warranty work is needed. Hope it works out work you. Post back it they fix it.

Yeah, I've got to get it in for warranty work. Been busy the last couple of weeks and haven't had time to get to the dealer. Love the truck.

Rattle is my only complaint so far.

Mine rattles but it seems to be the part of the ceiling infront of the sunroof. No issue when the sun shade is closed but rattles like hell when it's open (regardless of windows, sunroof, etc. being opened.) Sometimes if I press really hard on it for about 5-10 seconds it goes away until I hit some rough road.

I have this "front" rattle too. It seems to be coming from the areas around the edge where the headliner meets the sunroof, just behind the sunroof controls. If I either push up our pull down on the headliner, it goes away temporarily. Any ideas for a fix? Thinking of trying to jam some sort of shim in there to prevent whatever surfaces are touching each other from doing so. Anyone else experiencing this?

Panoramic sunroof owners: do you notice that if you drive with the windows down and the shade fully closed that it kinda flaps around unnervingly? I think it's performing as designed, but it freaks me out a bit at highway speeds, especially when there is buffeting around trucks, etc.

Panoramic sunroof owners: do you notice that if you drive with the windows down and the shade fully closed that it kinda flaps around unnervingly? I think it's performing as designed, but it freaks me out a bit at highway speeds, especially when there is buffeting around trucks, etc.

Your question has been merged with an existing thread that discusses this exact issue.

I don't think it's the same issue...

That being said, it's a thin piece of cloth, it's the nature of the beast. I've just learned to retract the glass--sadly no magic fix here.

Agree, not the same issue. This thread and subject is about rattles in trim and rattles in the the glass mounting system. My new posting was about the sun shade flopping when fully deployed. No problem having all in the same place though.

Agree, not the same issue. This thread and subject is about rattles in trim and rattles in the the glass mounting system. My new posting was about the sun shade flopping when fully deployed. No problem having all in the same place though.

Sorry, I should have been more specific since there were 2 different issues discussed in here. Post 28 and 29 discuss this issue that you are talking about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I should have been more specific since there were 2 different issues discussed in here. Post 28 and 29 discuss this issue that you are talking about.

I see that now... thank you! (and I agree with your comment about the design) Still love the big sunroofs though.

Back