Warranty Start Date | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warranty Start Date

washbob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Need some suggestions on how to proceed. I signed paperwork to purchase a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum on December 20, 2015, however they could not locate the specific vehicle I wanted until January 6, 2016 and I took possession on that date. I've noticed that my warranty start date shows December 20, 2015, not the date I actually took possession. I have contacted the dealership on numerous occasions and have been told they would take care of it, but nothing has changed. I've emailed Ford corporate twice and received a response the first time that I should contact the general manager at dealership. Tried that but messages left general manager have not been returned. I email Ford corporate again about a week ago, but no response yet. I'm getting frustrated with the total lack of customer service by Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford corporate can't do anything. They go by what the dealer tells them which is based on the "in service" date. Frankly I have no idea how you could even sign paperwork if they couldn't find a vehicle for you... They wouldn't have a VIN to write down on the paperwork.

something doesn't make sense here on what you are stating. The dealer has to fix this issue, not Ford.

I had signed the paperwork for a vehicle that was to be delivered in two days from another dealership. When that vehicle arrived it had many issues (cut headliner, damaged front air dam, major scratch in paint, etc.). The dealership then attempted to locate and do a trade with another dealer. It took almost three weeks to locate a vehicle that another dealership would swap. That vehicle finally arrived on January 6, 2016 and I took ownership at that time. Actually Ford can do something about it. I used to sit on an advisory committee with Ford. Unfortunately that was many years ago, I no longer have my insider contacts with Ford. My issue is I'm getting nowhere with the dealership and was hoping that Ford corporate would put some pressure to resolve the problem.

So your concern is over 2 weeks of warranty?

As blwnsmoke indicated, the warranty should start on the "In Service Date" which in your case is January 6th. BTW that is also when your Sirius/XM subscription should have started. If the GM of the dealership refused to return my emails, I'd go down and sit at the dealership until he corrected the issue. I don't know if you can deal directly with the Ford warranty people or not. Perhaps they would accept a faxed copy of the sales contract which should show January 6th.
You can also try to contact FordService who monitors this forum and see if they can help resolve this issue. You can use the following link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

As blwnsmoke indicated, the warranty should start on the "In Service Date" which in your case is January 6th. BTW that is also when your Sirius/XM subscription should have started. If the GM of the dealership refused to return my emails, I'd go down and sit at the dealership until he corrected the issue. I don't know if you can deal directly with the Ford warranty people or not. Perhaps they would accept a faxed copy of the sales contract which should show January 6th.
You can also try to contact FordService who monitors this forum and see if they can help resolve this issue. You can use the following link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for information. Unfortunately I now live 2,300 miles from the dealership. I plan to be back in the area in June, so will try another in person visit.

Thanks for information. Unfortunately I now live 2,300 miles from the dealership. I plan to be back in the area in June, so will try another in person visit.
If you are using another dealership in your area, perhaps they would be willing to help as a "goodwill gesture" if you show them the paperwork. You can't be worse off than you are now.;)

Peter

I would be concerned, its not fair, and not right.

The engine in my Silverado blew when I had four days left on the warranty. If I had lost two weeks of warranty, it would have cost me $7,000.

Need some suggestions on how to proceed. I signed paperwork to purchase a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum on December 20, 2015, however they could not locate the specific vehicle I wanted until January 6, 2016 and I took possession on that date. I've noticed that my warranty start date shows December 20, 2015, not the date I actually took possession. I have contacted the dealership on numerous occasions and have been told they would take care of it, but nothing has changed. I've emailed Ford corporate twice and received a response the first time that I should contact the general manager at dealership. Tried that but messages left general manager have not been returned. I email Ford corporate again about a week ago, but no response yet. I'm getting frustrated with the total lack of customer service by Ford.

You screwed yourself when you signed paperwork for a vehicle they didn't have.

They have your signature and you don't have a leg to stand on!

You screwed yourself when you signed paperwork for a vehicle they didn't have.

They have your signature and you don't have a leg to stand on!
As blwnsmoke alluded to, something doesn't sound right. Even if the dealership had the VIN of the first vehicle on the paperwork, that vehicle was declined and another was found. That would mean a different VIN and different mileage and possibly a different colour. That should have meant new paperwork/contract would have been required. Unless of course those fields were left blank initially. In any case, the dealership should make it right. One other thing that may possibly be a play here is that changing the "In Service Date" means removing a near end of month sale which might have been used to reach a 'quota". :dunno:

Peter

It looks like I may have the issue resolved. Finally worked my way up the food chain and found someone who understood the issue and is working on resolving the problem. He stated that he would have it resolved in a couple days and to call him back next week for status update. Thanks to those who replied with helpful suggestions and for those who only wanted to make snide comments your response was given the appropriate amount of consideration (none).

2 weeks makes a huge difference. I didn't find out my PTU leaked until the last 2 days of my warranty ending for my powertrain on the Explorer... It matters.

I heard from Ford today and they have corrected the warranty start date. They stated that whenever a dealer checks the Oasis report it will show a warranty start date of January 9, 2016. It took me almost five months to get it corrected, but once I found the right contact person it was corrected in one day. Kudos to Ford for finally getting it corrected, it's too bad it took such an effort to resolve. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

I heard from Ford today and they have corrected the warranty start date. They stated that whenever a dealer checks the Oasis report it will show a warranty start date of January 9, 2016. It took me almost five months to get it corrected, but once I found the right contact person it was corrected in one day. Kudos to Ford for finally getting it corrected, it's too bad it took such an effort to resolve. Thanks again to everyone who responded.
Glad to hear it got straightened out. Now let's hope you never have to use it. :)

Peter

Back