Your 3.5 V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your 3.5 V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely not the same and they also refer it as the 3.5 Ecoboost "race" engine.

Not really, no,no and no. The block is a beefed up version of the Ecoboost V-6. The rods, pistons and crank are likewise not the same. The turbos are not the same as well. With that said, I'm going by the seat of my pants here with some knowledge of what Ford and other manufacturers do in their 'racing' sections so, my knowledge is , somewhat, educated. So, with not knowing exactly without looking this detail up, I betcha I'm close. :D :salute:

I read Production Block, heads, direct injection,cam drive ETC ETC

I may have read into the crank,pistons, rods but the article does say Bore and stroke and It impressed me as such. Bottom line is our production 3.5 is making 600 HP.

"""What you may not know is that the 600hp race version—built by Roush Yates Racing Engines (RYRE)—uses a production block, heads, direct injection, cam drive, gaskets and valvesprings. It also uses stock bore and stroke, compression ratio, and valve sizes.""""

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-exclusive-look-at-the-engine-that-could-power-fords-all-new-gt/

I read Production Block, heads, direct injection,cam drive ETC ETC

I may have read into the crank,pistons, rods but the article does say Bore and stroke and It impressed me as such. Bottom line is our production 3.5 is making 600 HP.

"""What you may not know is that the 600hp race version—built by Roush Yates Racing Engines (RYRE)—uses a production block, heads, direct injection, cam drive, gaskets and valvesprings. It also uses stock bore and stroke, compression ratio, and valve sizes.""""

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-exclusive-look-at-the-engine-that-could-power-fords-all-new-gt/

We're talking about the production engine they are putting in the GT. Not the production engine put in my XLT or a Sport. That said, I don't know exactly what the differences would be but, as an educated guess, the 'production' GT Ecoboost V6 is most likely much more 'beefed up' than a 'production' Sport Ecoboost V6. The Fact that Roush-Yates used 'production' parts in the race version does not equate to those parts being the same used in a Sport Ecoboost V6. Somewhere their is a breakdown of the differences but, I have not found it yet which is why I can not definitively say with confidence and only make a educated guess.

I found an article from Car and Driver that will bolster my 'educated guess' as follows:

"The GT's EcoBoost twin-turbocharged, direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 engine shares far more with the EcoBoost six in Ford's Daytona Prototype LMP2 race car than it does with any roadgoing Ford engine. With more than 600 horsepower, the GT's V-6 earns the awesome "Powered by Ford" branding."

Back