ayrton2727

Reaction score
City, State
Picton, Ontario,
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Honda Civic
Love this site. So much information.

I live in Ontario Canada.

There is 2014 Ford Explorer Sport that someone is trying to get out of there lease.

There is 2 years left on lease at $700 per month.

Buyout at end of lease is $20,000

This seems like a decent deal when you figure it would cost $36800.00 after all is said and done.

What do you think. Or am I better off waiting and getting a 2017.

30000KM. In excellent condition

I would keep the car after the lease is done.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$36K used or $50K+ new, it all comes down to what you want to spend.
Also, get into a vehicle now or wait 8wks.

2017 models start building in about 10 days.

As others have said, depends what you're willing to spend. Personally I'd get the new one with a fresh warranty and Sync 3.

Love this site. So much information.

I live in Ontario Canada.
There is 2014 Ford Explorer Sport that someone is trying to get out of there lease.
There is 2 years left on lease at $700 per month.
Buyout at end of lease is $20,000
This seems like a decent deal when you figure it would cost $36800.00 after all is said and done.
What do you think. Or am I better off waiting and getting a 2017.
30000KM. In excellent condition
I would keep the car after the lease is done.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I think your lease end buyout will likely be closer to $40k after all is said and done. Don't forget that you'll be paying 13% tax on that $20k plus dealer admin fees that could be $200-$300 dollars. You will also have to get the vehicle safety checked and have the emissions test done as well.
To get a more accurate cost you should call the leasing dealer to get more info on those charges. BTW, either you or the current lease holder will also have to pay for the safety and emissions check when the vehicle lease is transferred to you. I've gone through that when a friend took over my Highlander lease with 2.5 years to go. That was back in 2011 so things may have changed.

Peter

Thanks for the info. Everyone is very helpful on here. I think I will wait for a new 2017. Like you are saying it is only weeks until the new models come out.

Thanks again.

I had a 2014 for 2 years. You definitely want to wait and get a 2017. Many, many improvements!

Thanks Halwg

I am going to follow your advice and wait for a 2017.

I had a 2014 for 2 years. You definitely want to wait and get a 2017. Many, many improvements!

i was thinking of buying a used 2014 XLT with 43,000 mile on it. It is under $22,000 US .
Do you think it will not be a good vehicle to own? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy another used Explorer. I have had good service with my 2001 Mounty, and a 96 XLT Explorer.
I do not drive my personal vehicle every day, only about 10,000 miles a year, or less.
Thanks

Had a question actually about my 2013 Edge. My lease ends 9/17 and we are going to buy it out using my credit union for the loan. The dealership first told me there is no need for an inspection since I am not using ford credit. Now today they told me they will need to do a brake and frame inspection for $100. This is because they said they put it into their inventory and sell it back to me. Does this sound right?

Who the hell leases an Explorer for 700 a month?! Wow. I got my 2013 lease for 425/month!

If it were me I'd get a new one. I wouldn't go for the 2014....

Had a question actually about my 2013 Edge. My lease ends 9/17 and we are going to buy it out using my credit union for the loan. The dealership first told me there is no need for an inspection since I am not using ford credit. Now today they told me they will need to do a brake and frame inspection for $100. This is because they said they put it into their inventory and sell it back to me. Does this sound right?

That doesn't sound right to me. With my old Mazda, I leased and then wrote a check to buy it out. No inspection fees(different state though). Your lease is not actually through the dealership(I don't think), it's through Ford Credit. Unless I'm missing something, I think they are trying to get you for a few $. Does Delaware require vehicle inspections? MN doesn't require vehicle or emissions, although I wish they would have vehicle inspections due to some of the crap I see on the road.

Who the hell leases an Explorer for 700 a month?! Wow. I got my 2013 lease for 425/month!

Depends.
1. That's probably Canadian monies.
2. With nothing down, it's possible. Guess ~50,000(Canadian) out the door. With a 20,000 buyout that leaves 30,000 difference. 4 year lease is 625/month. Those are just guessing numbers, but it's in the ballpark of 700/month.

I bought a 2017 Sport a week ago in British Columbia. I was lucky to get the one I wanted that just arrived in holding in the color that I wanted and only had to wait 3 days. Paid $53k + tax + fees (saved about $6k off MSRP due to Ford Employee Pricing + $1000 Costco Discount). Had the two big options -- sun roof & adaptive cruise package + roof rack cross bars + all weather mats. Paid $2900 extra for a 10 year, 120k km bumper to bumper warranty. Financed over 4 years at 1.9% interest. Yeah, my payments are higher, but I'll be out of it sooner. Can't stand paying interest.

The 2017s look a lot nicer:
  • New front fascia (resembles Land Rover). Everything but hi-beams are LED.
  • Sync 3, new for 2017. Very responsive, pinch zoom, nav can calculate destinations very quickly. Fast bootup. Better voice control support.
  • Red accent stitching is nice (since 2016?)
  • Smoked quartz is a really nice color for 2017, if you want something
Biggest cons (all 5th gen Explorers):
  • Super flimsy seat backings when you fold down 2nd/3rd row seats for cargo. Easy to break. Don't throw tires on it... don't let kids crawl around inside to fetch something.
  • Roof racks have very low weight limts (45lbs with sunroof, 100lbs without).
  • Power 3rd row for extra cargo has a significant con... switching modes requires to you empty anything you have in the back in order for the switch to work. I'd rather have less cargo space and have seats that just fold forward.
Great car, amazing value -- especially with the current promotions. I'm loving it and the V6 eco-boost is a real monster engine with a nice engine note. Sounds angry!

Your monthly payment depends on a few factors such as the vehicle cost, the residual, if there was a down payment or not, the length of the lease, the annual mileage, the interest rate and the tax rate.
If I were to lease a 2017 Platinum right now for 48 months with 16,000 km annually and with the interest rate at 4.99% I'd be looking at $916/month with tax included. The only discount included is $5481 for the Employee Pricing program. That is on the full MSRP of $59,599.
Employee Pricing ends September 30th so I expect to see a drop in the interest rate. Not sure if the Costco $1000 rebate ends at that time as well. That rebate was not figured into the prices above.

Peter

Back