5R55E no drive | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E no drive

When you take off from a stop and this problem occurs does it feel like its in 1st gear or possibly second like its straining and what happens when it is supposed to shift to second gear? and does it feel any different when you use just drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it happened it started out in second then threw the code and went into limp mode. After that the shifts were harder and I'm not sure what gear it was starting in.

Ok Ive been studying the workshop manual and if shift sol c were stuck on intermittently this would cause this concern starting off in second gear. I have seen it with these sol that you can test them check the ohms etc and when I had nothing else to go on I changed the solenoids and it fixed the concern. the only other possible solution would be in the valve body. My suggestion is to swap ssa and c and see if it changes if you look at the valve body one side has 4 sol and one side has two sol the side that has two sol swap those two. they are interchangeable. second gear is controlled by the od band which would also effect 4th and 5th which is the other problem you were having.

Brooklyn I dont think the epc was adusted at all. Mez I'm thinking of trying your suggestion of swapping solenoids or simply replacing them both.

Ok here is the latest, we switched all 4 shift solenoids from the trans I took out of the junk yard into mine and he cleared all codes. I drove it for 3 days after that with no flashing od light and it seemed to shift fine. I took it back to him today to check for codes and he came up with a P1500 code. All of the speed sensors were replaced so we figured a connector or wiring somewhere. He also said something about my pcm possibly not working right. Where would you guys start with a code like that?

good news it works now fingers crossed. p1500 for vss is for the sensor in the rear axle not shaft spd sensors in the trans vss in rear axle fairly common to go bad also look at wiring to rear axle where it flexes up and down with the axle. a missing vss signal can certainly cause some goofy shifting also.

I unplugged the harness and plugged it back on the sensor on the rear axle and took it by the guy today to check for codes, only code was something to do with the wipers but they are working ok. Hopefully it will keep working with no problems, If it does I just want to say thanks to everyone for all your help.

Back