Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!

I think a puke tank looks to be the best solution for now. I am going to look for tanks that big power boats use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I just unplug the PCV and vent it to atmosphere? I feel like running a hose through and venting it to my tail pipe.

Can I just unplug the PCV and vent it to atmosphere? I feel like running a hose through and venting it to my tail pipe.

Seriously, if you aren't planning on keeping the car for more than 200k miles, there's maybe a 1% chance you'll need the valves cleaned in stock conditions. I still haven't needed my valves cleaned and I'm at 124k on my VW 2.0t FSI first generation gasoline tdi engine. This engine is supposedly the 2nd worst for carbon buildup, behind the VWAG 4.2 FSI GDI V8. Use an approved synthetic oil, change it before 0% on the oil life monitor, add oil if you need before you get to the add line, and a monthly Italian tuneup when the car's fully warmed up...add to that more normal common sense, like don't dog on the car before the powertrain is fully warmed up...and have fun, enjoy turbo/s and quit worrying.

This has been a very interesting thread. It brings back memories of the past, where you needed to "blow out" your motor every now-and-then to keep it clean. I know of several folks that received speeding tickets (for excessive speed) doing this. It seems to be a good idea from what I've read, but I bet it's still not necessary.
Having said that, I still like to wind the motor up on take-off, especially when new-to get up to the posted speed limit. I don't think driving with low RPM's is good for a motor. But, that's just MHO.

TW

Reading this post and going through all the known remedies in my mind as I read brought me to the conclusions posted on this subject. One of the biggest deterrence to carbon build up in any engine and a basic starting point is gasoline quality.

As they say, you get what you pay for and buying cheap gas will get you to this problem faster. The cleaning agents that are associated with top tier gas are a direct result to the controlling of carbon build up on the valves. However, this is not the only solution to the carbon problem.

In many cases, if you drive the freeways and highways on a consistent basis, you are not likely to ever have this issue not having to start and stop as often. But, if you mainly drive on surface streets more often than not, a good 'Italian tune up' may be in order from time to time.

Not being the owner of a vehicle with a FI or turbo with direct injection, but, as an old wrench bender (now retired) I have seen the results many times more than most. As a direct result of vehicles being used at low speed most of the time, this problem came up in no time with relatively new vehicles. Pleading with the drivers of these vehicles usually fell on deaf ears and so, the problem would raise it's ugly head more often.

Simply being aware of the problems these turbocharged DI engines can run up against and applying simple, preventative solutions can virtually eliminate any carbon build up following a couple of simple rules. 1. use only top tier gas with the correct octane level,
2. If driving the freeway is not common in your experience, use the 'Italian tune up' method and 3., from time to time, put a good fuel additive in your tank and their isn't a much better additive than Chevron Techron which, by the way, is an additive already in use in their gasoline. Sorry if this post is a bit redundant but, I don't think it can be mentioned enough. :)

i may have just experienced something yesterday that may be because of this reason. 45k 3.5 ecoboost. went to the river in 114degree weather , on the way home, i felt loss of power almost if the turbos werent working..... it idles and runs fine but now it rattles in the front with a little smoke at the end of the tail pipes... smells odd. im talking it to the dealer but im afraid if this is going to cost me an arm.....if it was a known problem, why wouldnt ford cover this? do i feel like buying a 16 sport now?? ummm probably not.

I only use premium 91 and switched to synthetic on my first oil change to hopefully mitigate carbon build up.
Also, I plan to install a catch-can, but can't decide whether to install now while under warranty and remove when bringing the vehicle for service; or wait until the 3yr bumper to bumper is over.

I also just posted a new video on how to prevent as much of this carbon buildup as possible.

Makuloco2000 makes great videos. As a way to thank him, please "Subscribe" and "Like" his videos. At some point he may or does make money from Youtube, etc. for his videos if he has enough likes and subscribers. I know he has helped me!

I also just posted a new video on how to prevent as much of this carbon buildup as possible.

Thank you so much for the videos. we are probably going to get the 2017 explorer by the end of the year and all these tips are invaluable. i just hope they truly fixed the throttle body issue.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

i may have just experienced something yesterday that may be because of this reason. 45k 3.5 ecoboost. went to the river in 114degree weather , on the way home, i felt loss of power almost if the turbos werent working..... it idles and runs fine but now it rattles in the front with a little smoke at the end of the tail pipes... smells odd. im talking it to the dealer but im afraid if this is going to cost me an arm.....if it was a known problem, why wouldnt ford cover this? do i feel like buying a 16 sport now?? ummm probably not.

I've owned a 2.3L turbo in the past and loss of power, in addition to smoke coming out of the tail pipe are two very common symptoms associated with a turbo that has gone bad. I hope that is not the case, but it sure sounds like a turbo is malfunctioning.

So I have a 16 2.3L. Have about 8000 miles. I have switched to Amsoil at 3000 miles. Other than that and using top tier fuel do I need to do anything! What about this techtron fuel additives?

So I have a 16 2.3L. Have about 8000 miles. I have switched to Amsoil at 3000 miles. Other than that and using top tier fuel do I need to do anything! What about this techtron fuel additives?

Add a catch can and if your dealership is picky, remove it when going in for service.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a JLT unit, which is a basic plug and play; with the only "modification" being two holes to mount the brackets.

In this video I go over some new information coming down the pipe from Ford.

Thanks for a great video. I recently had a major issue with my 2013 Explorer Sport. I bought the vehicle used in 2015 with 60k miles. and in less than a year was driving on a 30 mph road when the engine hesitated and after a brief pause a loud knocking sound started. The local dealer said I blew the #2 cylinder @ 70k miles. I contacted Ford directly, and I quote " I am sorry but there is nothing we can do for you at this time". was the official response. The first dealer who will go unnamed quoted me $9k to replace the long block. I was very fortunate to find a more ethical dealer who provided me options at half the price. I replaced the engine and it runs like a top again. However I don't know if I will ever buy another Ford nor my family another ford ever again.

I posted this reply because you stated Ford wants info on issues with their EcoBoost engines. Well in my opinion that's not 100% true, they had zero interest in what happened with my EcoBoost.

Thanks for a great video. I recently had a major issue with my 2013 Explorer Sport. I bought the vehicle used in 2015 with 60k miles. and in less than a year was driving on a 30 mph road when the engine hesitated and after a brief pause a loud knocking sound started. The local dealer said I blew the #2 cylinder @ 70k miles. I contacted Ford directly, and I quote " I am sorry but there is nothing we can do for you at this time". was the official response. The first dealer who will go unnamed quoted me $9k to replace the long block. I was very fortunate to find a more ethical dealer who provided me options at half the price. I replaced the engine and it runs like a top again. However I don't know if I will ever buy another Ford nor my family another ford ever again.

I posted this reply because you stated Ford wants info on issues with their EcoBoost engines. Well in my opinion that's not 100% true, they had zero interest in what happened with my EcoBoost.

" However I don't know if I will ever buy another Ford nor my family another ford ever again."
You shouldn't buy a DI vehicle at all.

Add a catch can and if your dealership is picky, remove it when going in for service.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a JLT unit, which is a basic plug and play; with the only "modification" being two holes to mount the brackets.

I was thinking of a catch can myself, looking at the RX unit. This is a response from my dealership from Ontario Canada:

"I read the information that you provided regarding the sludge accumulation throughout the engine heads, intake manifold and inter-cooler. I have brought the part to both a technician and a warranty admin to discuss your only question as to whether this part would void your warranty."
"While the part itself is not a genuine Ford part it would not carry any warranty on our end. If installed in the vehicle and an issue arises an inspection will be performed. If at this time it can proven that the installed part was in anyway responsible for issue that occurred the warranty would then be rendered void on the affected parts."

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Regards,

I was thinking of a catch can myself, looking at the RX unit. This is a response from my dealership from Ontario Canada:

"I read the information that you provided regarding the sludge accumulation throughout the engine heads, intake manifold and inter-cooler. I have brought the part to both a technician and a warranty admin to discuss your only question as to whether this part would void your warranty."
"While the part itself is not a genuine Ford part it would not carry any warranty on our end. If installed in the vehicle and an issue arises an inspection will be performed. If at this time it can proven that the installed part was in anyway responsible for issue that occurred the warranty would then be rendered void on the affected parts."

Regards,
That is mentioned in the Warranty Guide.

Peter

Regards,
That's their generic response to anything "aftermarket".
I cancelled my JLT order and will likely get the RX monster can setup also.
Only hesitation is its going to cost me CAD $600 (shipping and exchange rate).

That's their generic response to anything "aftermarket".......
As I stated above, this voiding of the warranty is mentioned in the Warranty Guide for the use of aftermarket items or modifications made to the vehicle. I believe it is pretty much standard with all manufacturers. So they are basically quoting the Warranty Guide.

Peter

That's their generic response to anything "aftermarket".
I cancelled my JLT order and will likely get the RX monster can setup also.
Only hesitation is its going to cost me CAD $600 (shipping and exchange rate).

I've been looking around for actual proof that there actually is damage causing sludge and coking issues with the 2016 Sport models. I asked Brian aka FordtechMakuloco awhile ago, he said there wasn't as in previous years.

I haven't seen an install of the RX can on the EX, just on the f150. Different configuration, contacted James from RX and they're working on instructions for the EX.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking around for actual proof that there actually is damage causing sludge and coking issues with the 2016 Sport models. I asked Brian aka FordtechMakuloco awhile ago, he said there wasn't as in previous years.

I haven't seen an install of the RX can on the EX, just on the f150. Different configuration, contacted James from RX and they're working on instructions for the EX.

A few members on here has an RX installed on a their EX Sport.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/cac-intercooler-removal-cleaning.451723/

May not be a major issue, but I have personally found oil sludge in and around the intake opening and similarly in the CAC pipes.
I've vented both blowoff valves to mitigate as much as it can and hope to get the RX kit soon.

Back