Disable LED Signature Lights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable LED Signature Lights

Who goes to drive ins anymore?

My lights go off when I turn off my vehicle, walk in and sit down in my reserved recliner after I order a ****tail at the bar. :)

Upstate NY still has drive ins. Double features for $10.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I'm new here. I was "searching" from the Stock 2002-2005 Forums and stupidly thought I would get results relevant to the Stock 2002-2005 Explorers.

I also answered your post when it popped up on my screen, but that answer seems to have disappeared into the aether, so I'm repeating myself here. I'll be more careful in the future.
Your message was received. No problem.

Peter

LED lights , interior lights and Drive-In

Just got back from the Drive-in in my new 2016 Explorer Sport. A nightmare. First I could not get the interior lights to turn off with the tailgate open. Finally had to use my fingers and turn the latching mechanism manually in the lift gate so it thought the tailgate was closed.
Then I opened the window so I could reach in and press the start button to get the radio on, but that also turned on the LED signature lights and the drive-in workers told me they had to be off. I found I could press the start button twice, this would leave just the radio on, but also turned on the interior lights for 10 seconds, and the radio would shut off every 10 mins and I had to keep doing this over and over with my car lighting up as every interior light came on for 10 seconds every time I did this.
Every other car I have owned had an interior light override, cannot believe this car does not.
I read thru all these posts. One mentioned the radio works without powering on the car, I will have to play around with that. Just wanted to mention the trick of manually tricking the tailgate into thinking it was closed. When the movie was over, I just hit the liftgate button on the key twice and it mechanism unlocked and the gate went the rest of the way up as if it had been closed.
I did not see anyone else having to do what I went thru, maybe they all have the dark mode or some other hack. I am sure there were other Explorers there.

Although it may not help in every situation, the interior lights will go off after 10 minutes. From the Manual;

Battery Saver
If you leave the courtesy lamps, interior lamps or headlamps on, the battery saver shuts them off 10 minutes after you switch the ignition off.

The radio can be powered on by itself using its own ON/OFF button. No need for the ignition switch to be used. The radio in this mode will only stay on for 45 minutes or so before it has to be turned on again. I can't recall the exact time but it has been mentioned.

Peter

Just got back from the Drive-in in my new 2016 Explorer Sport. A nightmare. First I could not get the interior lights to turn off with the tailgate open. Finally had to use my fingers and turn the latching mechanism manually in the lift gate so it thought the tailgate was closed.
Then I opened the window so I could reach in and press the start button to get the radio on, but that also turned on the LED signature lights and the drive-in workers told me they had to be off. I found I could press the start button twice, this would leave just the radio on, but also turned on the interior lights for 10 seconds, and the radio would shut off every 10 mins and I had to keep doing this over and over with my car lighting up as every interior light came on for 10 seconds every time I did this.
Every other car I have owned had an interior light override, cannot believe this car does not.
I read thru all these posts. One mentioned the radio works without powering on the car, I will have to play around with that. Just wanted to mention the trick of manually tricking the tailgate into thinking it was closed. When the movie was over, I just hit the liftgate button on the key twice and it mechanism unlocked and the gate went the rest of the way up as if it had been closed.
I did not see anyone else having to do what I went thru, maybe they all have the dark mode or some other hack. I am sure there were other Explorers there.

My civilian Taurus had the "Dark Car" police feature as something I could activate. Has anyone tried this trick with the Explorer and FORScan?

I have a different but related question.

Is there a way to have the following headlight settings:

Headlight control set to Auto
DRL bulb OFF
LED signature light ON ALL THE TIME

In Auto mode, LED signature lights turn OFF if DRL is set to OFF. Why is this the case? I'd prefer LED signature lights ON during the day with DRL bulb OFF.

I have a different but related question.

Is there a way to have the following headlight settings:

Headlight control set to Auto
DRL bulb OFF
LED signature light ON ALL THE TIME

In Auto mode, LED signature lights turn OFF if DRL is set to OFF. Why is this the case? I'd prefer LED signature lights ON during the day with DRL bulb OFF.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I don't have a 2016 to try the settings. If what you posted is the way it works then you would likely require a tool (IDS or Forscan) to access the vehicles default settings and see if it is possible to do what you want.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442848

Peter

I had the install done this morning and it works like a charm. The guys put a toggle switch to the left of the steering wheel and so far so good. No error codes, warning lights, or annoying dings. From now on I'm just going to leave my headlights on the auto setting and flip the switch when I'm doing surveillance. The switch also keeps the interior lights from coming on when I turn the engine off so that's a plus. I don't know if I would even benefit from the "dark mode" tweak at this point, but if the dealership will do it for me I might as well give it a shot.

I'd also like to know who/how the disable switch was installed. I spoke to a few people who said they wouldn't touch the lighting due to all the programming feedback it could cause (I mentioned none were reported).

mines an older one and I had dark mode enabled, but for the newer ones maybe you can disable a fuse or add a switch somewhere to the fuse circuit to turn it on and off? I was going to do this before I had it reprogrammed with the Ford IDS. If the fuse runs other lights I would just cut the wire to the headlight.

you would have to add a fuse tap to the item shown below, it wouldn't be plug and play, like I said it still might not work if the fuse runs other items, yes I didn't read the entire thread if it was mentioned before.

( I could download pictures from my computer with the old forum setup but I cant with this one so heres a random link to a picture which I hope doesn't change later on :| )

ATMTap.jpg

My agency just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer which will be used as a police vehicle. It does not have the "police package" as it will be used as an undercover vehicle. It's just an XLT from the dealer.

I do a lot of surveillance and the LED Signature Lights make that a little bit tough at night. I have read and read on how to disable these and I can't seem to find an answer. I don't care if I have to cut wires...I just need to know which ones to cut :)

Thanks!
JT
Sir, I am in the exact same situation as you were. Would you please put me into contact with whomever worked on your explorer so that I can put my local guys in contact, and finally get mine done as well? Thank you. Hagelnator@yahoo.com

Sir, I am in the exact same situation as you were. Would you please put me into contact with whomever worked on your explorer so that I can put my local guys in contact, and finally get mine done as well? Thank you. Hagelnator@yahoo.com
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

www.intermotive.net

They make an aftermarket Police Interface Module (PIM) that will do several things with lighting. They call their proprietary system "Blackout Mode" Parked or low speed total darkness for Law Enforcement.

Its plug and play.

Our unmarked Chevy Impalas had a stealth button (factory) that killed all lights inc. brake lights so nobody could see us as we pulled into the donut shop. No DRL's, no interiors, no brake lights. Made alley crawls very low profile.

I may look into this PIM. Thanks.

Hi everyone,
I have a 2016 Explorer XLT. This weekend we went to our local drive in movie theater with our Explorer for the first time. The way the drive in works is you tune your radio into their specified channel to listen to the movie while you watch it on the big screen. Typically this means you put your vehicle in accessory mode (and ensure you have a good battery LOL). Anyhow, we put our explorer in accessory mode, but the parking lights would not turn off no matter what we tried. I read the owners manual, nothing. Tried a bunch of different settings from the menu on the steering wheel, nothing worked. We ended up having to go through 2 hours of wonder woman by consistently turning on and off accessory mode when the radio timed out. Quite annoying because the interior lights would turn on blinding us each and every time. Anyone else have this issue? We vowed to bring our escape next time LOL.

LED lights , interior lights and Drive-In

We had this issue too. Didn't use the tailgate, because the seats are more comfy. Had to turn on and off accessory mode every 10 minutes. It was quite annoying and the interior lights blinded us every time. Can't do "aftermarket hacks" on my lease LOL. Explorer is going back in a year and 1/2 anyhow. It's too much "car" for me. Should've gotten an edge.

I know that on my 2016 I can just turn the radio on without being in accessories mode. Just hit the of/off switch on the radio. I am not sure just how long it will play in this mode but I have had mine on for over 1/2 hour.

We had this issue too. Didn't use the tailgate, because the seats are more comfy. Had to turn on and off accessory mode every 10 minutes. It was quite annoying and the interior lights blinded us every time. Can't do "aftermarket hacks" on my lease LOL. Explorer is going back in a year and 1/2 anyhow. It's too much "car" for me. Should've gotten an edge.
The interior lights will turn OFF after 10 minutes and stay off unless a door is opened. I'm not sure why you had to turn accessory mode ON and OFF every 10 minutes. If it was to keep the radio ON then it wasn't necessary. The radio can be turned ON with the vehicle OFF just by pressing the radio control button. It should then stay on for at least 30 or more minutes. You can then repeat the action. I believe I had the radio play for 40+ minutes one time. I find it quite curious why Ford didn't allow for turning the interior lights off. This has annoyed many members. To me it seems like a step backwards.

Peter

I had Dark Car mode enabled by the dealer. The exterior and interior lights do not turn on when opening and closing the doors when activated. Only the touch screen lights up as always because it is part of a separate system.

I had Dark Car mode enabled by the dealer. The exterior and interior lights do not turn on when opening and closing the doors when activated. Only the touch screen lights up as always because it is part of a separate system.

Was it easy to ask the dealer to do this, is it simply a matter of them hooking it up and programming "enable Dark Car" or is there some other technical term I should use if I ask my dealer to do this? Thanks.

Was it easy to ask the dealer to do this, is it simply a matter of them hooking it up and programming "enable Dark Car" or is there some other technical term I should use if I ask my dealer to do this? Thanks.

It takes all of 5 minutes and they didn't charge me. They connect a hand held computer and make a change to the "Dark Car" feature in the body control module. I believe more detail is in this thread. I am very happy with the result as much as it's only turning some lights off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do they turn on while in accessory mode? That was the issue here. I don't mind the lights turning on when I open the door. My landlord rarely changes the darn outdoor lights when burnt out so it helps me see!! LOL
The interior lights will turn OFF after 10 minutes and stay off unless a door is opened. I'm not sure why you had to turn accessory mode ON and OFF every 10 minutes. If it was to keep the radio ON then it wasn't necessary. The radio can be turned ON with the vehicle OFF just by pressing the radio control button. It should then stay on for at least 30 or more minutes. You can then repeat the action. I believe I had the radio play for 40+ minutes one time. I find it quite curious why Ford didn't allow for turning the interior lights off. This has annoyed many members. To me it seems like a step backwards.

Peter
I never realized the radio could turn back on after it times out didn't even think to try it!! I thought I had to reset it by pressing the ignition button on and off again, which is when the interior lights would come on, but only for about 30 seconds or so. My 10 year old kept whining about it. :dunno: I miss the old days of pulling the knob out for lights LOL so much simpler. Regardless, one should still be able to completely shut their lights off regardless of mode the car is in. IDK what Ford was thinking.

Back