Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

Very interesting. I am on my second fan and the noise is still there. Not happy at all. What is involved with the repurchase process? What steps have you taken? Thanks for the update.

I have had a case open with the Better Business Bureau Auto line since the beginning of February, not sure how this is going to turn out, but that is not why I'm here. I'm here because before my arbitration hearing today, last week, a Ford Field Service Engineer brought a re-engineered fan to my dealership for them to put into my Explorer. It took a total of 45 days of complaints and back and forth with the dealership and FMC plus me opening a Lemon Law Case with the Better Business Bureau but the fan did come. They installed the fan with the assistance of the FSE and since then I have not heard the issue once. It's been about 6 - 7 days. It was mentioned that the re-engineered fan has not been released to all field techs publicly just yet, supposedly they are waiting on all the parts to begin mass production, but they did have engineering re-engineer the fan and it should be out publicly soon. I'm probably one of the few test dummies, lol. Anyway I wanted to share that information with you guys. I'm still pursuing a repurchase but I'm aware that some of you are willing to keep the vehicle if they provide a fix for the issue. So that is the update I have. I will state that I have not hear the issue yet but it also took 2 months to present itself from the original purchase date. So I can't say it's fixed until at least 2 months in . But so far I have not heard the noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very interesting. I am on my second fan and the noise is still there. Not happy at all. What is involved with the repurchase process? What steps have you taken? Thanks for the update.
There is likely a good chance that they did not have the re-engineered fan to install in yours. Another member also mentioned his was the new type.

Peter

Repurchase

Currently I'm going through the BBB Auto line Process for Arizona. Per our state law the issue has to substantially affect the use, safety and value of the vehicle and if found to do so you should report it to the dealer. Once you do then they are allowed, once again per our state law, 4 attempts to fix it and/or the vehicle has to be out of use for a cumulative of 30 calendar days. So I went through the Better Business Bureau for the repurchase and I had my arbitration hearing this morning. Ford was there along with the arbitrator. I gave them a total of 6 attempts to fix the issue, went through 4 fans and my car was out of use for a total of 32 days, 45 days truly but I declined to pick it up on the last attempt until the FSE came and fixed the vehicle, so I don't count 13 days because I chose to leave the vehicle there for safety concerns.

As I stated I'm not sure how it is going to go because the BBB is their as a mediator so it can go either way. But the good thing about it is that you are not bound by the decision BBB issues, so if you do not like it you can still take FMC to court. But if the decision goes against Ford then they are legally bound to accept the decision and cannot pursue it any further. The key being if it goes against them. Anyway this is for the state of Arizona so you would still need to look up your state law, if you are in the United States, to see how you should go about it.

I started with our Attorney General's Website by googling Arizona Attorney General+Lemon Law, and it took me to their auto purchases page. That page had a link to the BBB Auto line. Like I said I'm not sure if I'm going to win or not but I am pursuing it.

Just curious as to whether you plan to get another Explorer. Now that Ford has a new re-engineered fan you might be better off having the fan unit replaced rather than risking going through the same issue again if you get another Ex.

Peter

At this point I'm just waiting on the resolution of my case. I'm just so angry that it had to come to this point.

I wonder if there's any expected time for fielding the new fans.

I guess I better bring ours in. It has been making the noise since almost day 1. I think it might even be a little louder now. I am pretty sure I heard it the other day when my wife pulled up before she even shut it off. I have just been waiting for someone to actually get it fixed. I think I'll have them check for a PCM update. We have a tiny amount of surging right after you fire it up and try to move it really slowly, like moving from driveway into the garage or pulling out of a parking space in a tight lot. We are around 3300 miles now.

I know this is an Explorer thread, but our new 2016 Edge started fan squeal on spin down at 550 miles. The dealer acted like they have never heard of this. After talking with the service manager, he opened a case with Ford and is having a new fan assembly shipped to the dealership. It is the passenger side fan, which is the AC aux fan. Ford has a fan supplier issue!

Have any of you been able to get a fan

My case is still ongoing, should be ending soon. Anyway my fan in my vehicle has yet to make the sound, it has been about a month. So I can say that whatever fan they gave me has been working so far. If they haven't already, I would have thought they would have sent the new fans out by now. Have any of you had any luck?

So I need to chime in... I do hear it on my 16 after all, my wife asked the other day "WTF is that noise?" ... "Oh it's just the cooling fan shutting down... ;) "

I need to swing by my dealer to get on the list/examples. I'm just over 7K miles now and it's been doing it for a while.

** I filed a complaint thru NHTSA about the fan **

I noticed the noise on my wifes 2015 Explorer Sport last night, it has 20k miles. I'll plan on trying to figure out how to get it to the dealer. We both are at work during business hours and can't afford to take off a day just to schedule an appointment. Aggravating for sure.

My 2012 F150 also has had a fan squeak for a few months, it has 107k miles on it though, so it looks like I'll be paying for a fan assembly out of my own pocket pretty soon.

Anyone have the part numbers for the new re-engineered/upgraded/trouble-free fans? Thanks.

Does anyone have the part number for the fan causing this noise ? Anyone attempted a replacement themselves? I also have a 2013 with this noise, and no longer have warranty coverage.

Does anyone have the part number for the fan causing this noise ? Anyone attempted a replacement themselves? I also have a 2013 with this noise, and no longer have warranty coverage.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
As per my PM, your post has been moved to this thread on the fan issue.
According to post 45, the fan causing the problem appears to be DA8Z8C607A. No one has confirmed if the replacement has the same or different number.

Peter

I just wanted to give an update on my 2016 Platinum with 1600 miles. I am bringing mine into the dealership tomorrow once again. I have already had 2 driver side cooling fans replaced. In Ohio, the lemon law states that they have 3 attempts to resolve the problem. This is something I may pursue. It is pretty ridiculous at this point.

I just wanted to give an update on my 2016 Platinum with 1600 miles. I am bringing mine into the dealership tomorrow once again. I have already had 2 driver side cooling fans replaced. In Ohio, the lemon law states that they have 3 attempts to resolve the problem. This is something I may pursue. It is pretty ridiculous at this point.
The replacement likely wasn't one of the redesigned ones. That is something you should definitely talk to them about.

Peter

Fan Noise

I just found this thread as I'm on my second fan in my 2016 XLT and the new fan started making the noise from the posted video about a week after install. I noticed the noise in the first fan about a week after bringing the vehicle home. The new fan was ordered two weeks ago and put in, so it appears reengineered fans aren't yet circulating out there. Will be calling the dealer to inquire about a third fan. If anyone has any updates on what I can tell ford to get the problem fixed permanently, I'd appreciate it.

When I turn my truck off I hear the fan for another 3-4 seconds and then everything is calm. Is this normal? No squeaking nose but a regular fan noise.

When I turn my truck off I hear the fan for another 3-4 seconds and then everything is calm. Is this normal? No squeaking nose but a regular fan noise.

Yes, that is normal. My wife's has about 4k on it now and the noise isn't as consistent as it was before. Sometimes I don't hear it at all. Anyone nogice if it is worse in warm or cold weather? I have been waiting for some of you to say the new fans are in and fixed the problem before I take it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just found this thread as I'm on my second fan in my 2016 XLT and the new fan started making the noise from the posted video about a week after install. I noticed the noise in the first fan about a week after bringing the vehicle home. The new fan was ordered two weeks ago and put in, so it appears reengineered fans aren't yet circulating out there. Will be calling the dealer to inquire about a third fan. If anyone has any updates on what I can tell ford to get the problem fixed permanently, I'd appreciate it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Tell the dealer that they have to install one of the 'redesigned' fans. I'm guessing that the others were not.

Peter

Back