Hard to start after gas fill up | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard to start after gas fill up

2011 explorer ltd 2wd CHECK ENGINE light on / off

My vehicle is turning on the check engine light and after a couple of hour light turn off. But it not turn off while vehicle is in motion I have noticed if I turn off the vehicle for more than an hour and turn it on again chek engine light its gone.
I went to a ford dealer while light was on and they connect the scanner to find the problem, according to ford technician, the scanner said that o2 sensor #1 and #2 was faulty so I replaced both sensor for OEM sensors not replacement a lot of money :( but the vehicle keep doing the same thing. I have noticed that the vehicle turn on the chk engine light ONLY when I fill the gas tank (not when I add a little gasoline is only if I fill up the tank.. After gas tank is full vehicle do not turn on as usual I have to press the star botton a couple of time and it takes more time than usual to turn on.....then after a couple of minutes check engine light turns on..................I explained this to the ford dealer but they have no Idea of what could be the problem, they suggested not to fill up the tank.
I went to different gas stations/brands and I always put the better gas type on the tank...but if I fill up the tank I have the same problem

I have not put the vehicle sacaner again after I replaced the O2 sensors #1 and #2 because I dot not want to waste more money replacing parts that do not solve the problem...

thank you in advance for your help !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

opam, I merged your thread with this existing one on the gas issue. That may also address the Check Engine light problem.

Peter

I just want to let you know that after reading all related post I tood the decision to purchase and replace ford part No.9C915B, I did my self and the problem is solved :)
I want to thank you all...this forum has been a great help for me .
Thank you !!

I think you are right GWA1. They replaced a valve or a sensor related to that ( i'll know exactly what it is once i get the paper work by mail). It also helped fix occasional rough idling i had when driving in slow traffic.
please let me know what they replaced, I've been having the issue for over a year.

I just want to let you know that after reading all related post I tood the decision to purchase and replace ford part No.9C915B, I did my self and the problem is solved :)
I want to thank you all...this forum has been a great help for me .
Thank you !!
awesome thanks

This is a strange problem that I've never seen before. Every time you fill up the Explorer at the gas pump, and then try to start it, it cranks normally for about 2 seconds, doesn't start, and then cranks at a faster tempo, still without starting. I just take the key out of the ignition, and then try again and it starts right up. I use 87 octane and have tried multiple gas stations and gas with (10%) and without ethanol. Even if I fil it up and then let it sit it still happens on the first time.

However, this only happens if you fill it up with more than 10 gallons. This has been going on for awhile, and I've found that 10 gallons is the cut off point. However, it's been annoying having to get gas constantly. My 07 can go almost 400 on a tank, this one can do about 250 with 10 gallons.

Any idea on what's causing this?

This is a strange problem that I've never seen before. Every time you fill up the Explorer at the gas pump, and then try to start it, it cranks normally for about 2 seconds, doesn't start, and then cranks at a faster tempo, still without starting. I just take the key out of the ignition, and then try again and it starts right up. I use 87 octane and have tried multiple gas stations and gas with (10%) and without ethanol. Even if I fil it up and then let it sit it still happens on the first time.

However, this only happens if you fill it up with more than 10 gallons. This has been going on for awhile, and I've found that 10 gallons is the cut off point. However, it's been annoying having to get gas constantly. My 07 can go almost 400 on a tank, this one can do about 250 with 10 gallons.

Any idea on what's causing this?

I have merged your thread with the existing one on this issue. Please update your profile to include your current Explorer.

I think you are right GWA1. They replaced a valve or a sensor related to that ( i'll know exactly what it is once i get the paper work by mail). It also helped fix occasional rough idling i had when driving in slow traffic.

I had the same problem with my ford explorer 2015 XLT. I took an appointment in ford to rectify the issue and they changed some sensor i guess. Now this problem is resolved.

Back