2.3L EcoBoost MPG Revealed!

ExCrystal

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ex Limited 4WD
Hi all,

I posted a thread a few weeks ago questioning the 2016's MPG in the 2.3L EcoBoost. I don't know if people have noticed yet, but Ford updated their website with specs.
19/28 FWD --- 18/26 4WD.

Even though I opted to get a '15 Limited v6 4WD, it is interesting.

How do you think the '16 will perform in terms of MPG? Especially in the Limited trim with bigger wheels (members have posted in a different thread about the MPG falling short of the EPA by about 4mpg in 2.0L fwd models, more often in the limited trim with larger wheels). Just curious what you all think.

Here's a screenshot of the engine specs:

24gtxs6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2.0 is way too small for this size. More often the boost has to kick in. It lowers the mpg overall. I think the 2.3 hit a sweet spot with the mpg/power combination. It should sell well.

:)

2.0 is way too small for this size. More often the boost has to kick in. It lowers the mpg overall. I think the 2.3 hit a sweet spot with the mpg/power combination. It should sell well.

I have to agree. Once people get '16's with the 2.3L in either FWD or 4WD, then we will see what they have to report on mpgs.

That 2.3 would be attractive for sure.... MPG's are yet to be seen in real world.

I've been driving my new 2.3L in my Explorer Lmtd since Nov 4. I get 21.2 mpg around town for a total of 6000 miles and will go on a 600 mile trip in May to get the highway mileage. More to follow.

Oh, it DOES have nice power when needed.

The 2.3 is what should have been put in from the beginning. The 2.0 was a mistake for how heavy the EX is. What I would LOVE to see is for them to put the 2.7 in instead. 350HP and TQ out of a 2.7 is fantastic with the weight savings from the 3.5TT.

One can dream lol

My 2015 explorer sport 3.5 litre, 6 months old, 15k miles, Diablo performance tune, magnaflow mufflers, C&N intake filter.

18.3 - 19.6 around town... 21-22.4 on trips if I behave.. NOPE I rarely behave...

So all around about 19 overall..

My 2015 explorer sport 3.5 litre, 6 months old, 15k miles, Diablo performance tune, magnaflow mufflers, C&N intake filter.

18.3 - 19.6 around town... 21-22.4 on trips if I behave.. NOPE I rarely behave...

So all around about 19 overall..

Do you have any sound clips? I'd love to hear it!

I have the 2.3L with the 18" wheels and their mileage estimates are almost spot on. In 4,000 miles of combined driving I have been getting slightly over 26 on the interstate at 70 MPH, generally around 26.2 or 26.3. Generally right at 18 mpg in town, and my overall MPG for the 4,000 miles is 20.7 mpg. Much better numbers than I got in my 2014 with the 3.5L NA engine.

Mileage Figures on my 2012 Explorer Limites

Just another mileage report.

I've 59,800 miles on my 2012 Explorer Limited (with the 3.5L V6, of course). Over the past 48,100 miles I've averaged 20.3 MPG overall. Living in Vermont, the driving terrain is rarely flat. Most of my miles have been around New England. But, I did make a single trip of 10,800 miles around the coastal and national borders of the lower 48 in 2012 and averaged 23.6 MPG during the trip (and I'm prone driving up to 10 MPH over the posted limit on interstates or divided highways.

I'm just ordered a 2017 Limited with the 2.3L Ecoboost, but wondering if I'd have been better staying with the 3.5L V6.

I have the 2.3L with the 18" wheels and their mileage estimates are almost spot on. In 4,000 miles of combined driving I have been getting slightly over 26 on the interstate at 70 MPH, generally around 26.2 or 26.3. Generally right at 18 mpg in town, and my overall MPG for the 4,000 miles is 20.7 mpg. Much better numbers than I got in my 2014 with the 3.5L NA engine.

I bought a 2013 in January, I track my mileage/mpg for tax purposes.

When the dates are a day apart, it's a day road trip to Madison, WI or Des Moines, IA.

I'm very happy with my results so far.

DF9EC1FC-A8DE-4557-BBA5-981AEB1F25B2.jpg

Back