4x4 high and low difference........ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high and low difference........

guitarguru

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 4x4
Hey guys,
I'm sure this might sound like a stupid question to a lot of you so I apologize in advance. I have a 93 ford explorer sport 4x4. I am curious exactly what the difference is between 4x4 high and low? Also, When would be the appropriate time to switch into 4x4 high and low. Should I be at a complete stop before switching into both high and low to avoid any damage done?? I have heard 4x4 low is for speeds up to 30 mph and 4x4 high is for any speeds (normal). Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any help. :feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The difference is gearing. Low range is just that. Its a reduction of the final drive speed before the driveshafts. The truck is only capable of about 30 mph because of this gear reduction.

Low range is good for high tourqe needs like pulling an extremely heavy load or pulling bushes out of the ground or crawling over rocks and loose ground. An explorer in low could probably pull a fully loaded 50,000 lb semi trailer without much danger of destruction, but it won't do it fast.

Your transfer-case is in high range while in 2wd, normally. 4wd high is just engaging the front axle with no reduction.

I assume yours is an automatic and touch drive 4X4. You can switch to 4wd on the fly up to 55 MPH. But you must be stopped to go to low range. Place the tranny in neutral and then hit the low button. You will then feel the extra torque when you proceed to drive.

Without getting into reduction ratios, I hope this helps you understand the difference.

An explorer in low could probably pull a fully loaded 50,000 lb semi trailer without much danger of destruction, but it won't do it fast.

Not exactly true... it may move it... and it may move it for some distance. But in the end, it is in NO way, rated or built to move that kind of weight. I know this first hand. It took some time (and abuse) for the damage to show up, but it did show up.

IMG_0968.jpg

That would be a blown up forward clutch... no clutch damage but the planitary self distructed... with a little help from a heavy right foot and a real heavy load. Here's a thread for you to read--> http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279533

I was just making an example of what gear reduction is capable of. The load would be much more easier moved in low than high, but any mechanical device can fail. I have a friend who blew up his semi axles granted they had nearly 2 million miles on them!

Thats pretty sweet carnage man! I'm gonna read your thread.

My 97 Powerstroke manages all my towing needs, the Exs get to ride trailer style.

Yeah, but it's no wonder you destroyed it. The A4LD was being slowly killed anyway with 3.73's and 33's. Towing 10 tons just accelerated things. i bet you'd still be going strong if you had correct gearing and a 5 speed.

As I'm sure you are rite about the gearing not helping, I must bring up the fact that I'm real hard on transmissions... about the only one I didn't cook was a C6 in my F150. Lord knows I tried... but I just couldn't kill it. For some reason, I have the NASTY ability to find the weakest link in almost anything mechanical.
Head count on Transmissions:
4 C4's... the last three built quite well. Final one, I put the first reverse band through the casing.
2 A4LD's... no need to explain those.
5 RAD 4spd's in my Rustang II.
1 727 torquefilte... in a buddies truck... He told me to beat on it like it owed me money. So I did.
1... um not too sure what it was... but it was in a 88 Delta 88. I managed to destroy the crown and pinion.
1 5 speed something or other in a Nissan Hard body... no too sure what went there... but it went to scrap afterwords.

See, me and transmissions don't get along too well. :rolleyes:

If you abuse it,anything can/will break!!

Back