95 Ford Explorer Fuel Pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ford Explorer Fuel Pressure

N2bnfunn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
I went to Auto Zone today and got my fuel pressure check and it was 30 while running according to the auto zone book it should have been between
35-48.. (I just replace the fuel pump regulator before they checked it)

My questions are how much on a average should I paid to get the fuel pump
replace, and since the pressure is only at 30 should I be in a hurry to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My questions are how much on a average should I paid to get the fuel pump
replace, and since the pressure is only at 30 should I be in a hurry to fix it?
Can't answer the cost part cuz I do it myself, but yes you should get it fixed soon. It won't get better by itself, and it well deteriorate fairly rapidly.

Was that pressure at idle?

I ask because the vacuum is highest at idle and that will pull the hardest on FPR and lower the pressure...If you remove the vacuum line or open the throttle the pressure should increase up to 35-40 psi...

Is the truck running normally or is it hesitating on acceleration or something else? That pressure at idle is pretty close to, if not, normal...Also when was the last time the filter was replaced? A restricted fuel filter will cause pressure drop as well...

I ask because the vacuum is highest at idle and that will pull the hardest on FPR and lower the pressure...If you remove the vacuum line or open the throttle the pressure should increase up to 35-40 psi...

Is the truck running normally or is it hesitating on acceleration or something else? That pressure at idle is pretty close to, if not, normal...Also when was the last time the filter was replaced? A restricted fuel filter will cause pressure drop as well...

Thanks and yes it was at idle and I will next get the fuel filter change and this time check it with giving it some throttle...

Thanks and yes it was at idle and I will next get the fuel filter change and this time check it with giving it some throttle...

If you accelerate the engine under a load does the engine stumble or hesitate? If not, the fuel is probably at the correct level...

But I would still check the fuel pressure...

If you accelerate the engine under a load does the engine stumble or hesitate? If not, the fuel is probably at the correct level...

But I would still check the fuel pressure...

No it does not ever stumble or hesitate, my problem is the SUN if I leave it out in the SUN it is hard to start but only then..

Let's look at the symptoms...

No it does not ever stumble or hesitate, my problem is the SUN if I leave it out in the SUN it is hard to start but only then..

So if you drive the truck and it is hot outside it is hard to start? If it sits in the sun for 30 mins or 4-6 hrs does it change the condition? If you run into a store for 15-20 mins and it is hot outside is it hard to start as well?

Is it only hard to start when the engine is hot? I am not sure where you are but here in Texas we are routinely seeing 105-115 F daily and I drive my truck in that everyday with no hot startup issues...

I would measure the resistance of the engine coolant temperature sensor if the engine is only hard to start when the engine is up to temperature...As the coolant temp changes this sensor feeds info back to the PCM and at cold start and hot re-startup will enrichen the fuel amount to aid startup...And yes it is possible that the sensor reads properly at engine cold and not when the engine heats up...I recently replaced this same sensor because it was not reading hot enough when measured with my code scanner...I run a 195 F thermostat and I was only seeing 168-172 F engine tempearture from the ECT...

Since I don't believe you have a code scanner the one at AZ might be able to read engine coolant temps as delivered by the ECT and might point in that direction...

So if you drive the truck and it is hot outside it is hard to start? If it sits in the sun for 30 mins or 4-6 hrs does it change the condition? If you run into a store for 15-20 mins and it is hot outside is it hard to start as well?

Is it only hard to start when the engine is hot? I am not sure where you are but here in Texas we are routinely seeing 105-115 F daily and I drive my truck in that everyday with no hot startup issues...

I would measure the resistance of the engine coolant temperature sensor if the engine is only hard to start when the engine is up to temperature...As the coolant temp changes this sensor feeds info back to the PCM and at cold start and hot re-startup will enrichen the fuel amount to aid startup...And yes it is possible that the sensor reads properly at engine cold and not when the engine heats up...I recently replaced this same sensor because it was not reading hot enough when measured with my code scanner...I run a 195 F thermostat and I was only seeing 168-172 F engine tempearture from the ECT...

Since I don't believe you have a code scanner the one at AZ might be able to read engine coolant temps as delivered by the ECT and might point in that direction...

No it is not when I drive it and the engine get hot, I am just talking about the truck itself sitting in a parking space in the sun, then it is hard to start, never when I drive it and from the engine heat hard to start. Put I did replaced the engine coolant sensor, and yes I do I had code reader, and when it would not start I connected it, and the error it found was a 327 on both side, so I replace the DPFE sensor and now shows nothing wrong from the code reader.

Back