Tuxedo Black | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuxedo Black

Purp1eOne

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Question about the Tuxedo Black. Is there a special order metallic or is it Tuxedo Black Metallic?

I have seen it both ways and there isn't an option on the website to order "metallic".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question about the Tuxedo Black. Is there a special order metallic or is it Tuxedo Black Metallic?

I have seen it both ways and there isn't an option on the website to order "metallic".
Both the Canadian and U.S. sites show it only as Tuxedo Black. I believe that all the colours are metallic but they just aren't shown that way. The only ones that are NOT identified as 'metallic' are the Oxford White, Sunset and Dark Side.

http://www.cars.com/ford/explorer/2013/colors/

http://www.fordexplorer.org/forum/12-explorer-forum/55-2014-ford-explorer-color-options.html

Peter

on the wife's 13 Sport and my 350 it's listed as Tuxedo Black Metallic - but if just Tux Black - it is metallic !

And gee-or-gee-us ! (when clean !)

told our detail guy to expect regular visits !

Tuxedo black was destroyed in the Japan tsunami . so we had only non metallic black till late in 2012.

What ?!?

Many of Fords paints were manufactured in Japan. The factory got hit hard in the tsunami.

He's right, the paint factory that supplied the glass fleck component was apparently 8KM from where the Tsunami hit the hardest. There is a name for the glass fleck but I cant remember it.

There was a period of production where they had no more Tuxedo Black Metallic paint, I think they also seriously reduced which vehicles it came on for a short time as well.

They then sourced it from another location.

I got that directly from one of the engineers on the Explorer team, not 3rd hand hearsay.

My Window Sticker says Tuxedo Black Metallic

Yeah when I was getting my F150 it was a PIA due to I couldnt find what I wanted and ordering was out since you couldnt order Tuxedo black or the NAV units. Appartently this was only for a very short time till other sources were made available.

Back