Removing the plastic bezel around the radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing the plastic bezel around the radio

Joe DeVola

Reaction score
City, State
AtL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
How dos the bezel around the radio get removed? Just pop it off or does other trim around need to be removed first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On one of mine there are two screws sort of hidden, just above the climate controls, that is where I would start. We will remove it soon and repaint a different color. Good luck.

Another responder showed me a picture of an identical bezel. My doesn't have any screws above the climate controls.

That's it exactly.

No screws then?

Correct, to remove that bezel there are no screws. There are 2 screws to remove the radio once that bezel is removed, but that will become obvious when the bezel is gone.

Correct, to remove that bezel there are no screws. There are 2 screws to remove the radio once that bezel is removed, but that will become obvious when the bezel is gone.

Very good. Thank you.

Crazy Joe Devola (I hope that is a Seinfeld reference and I didn't just insult you), Check out this thread for removing the radio bezel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666

I recommend using a flat, wide object so you don't leave any marks. I use a butter knife and haven't left any marks.

Good luck. :biggthump

I popped mine off with a 3" wide paint scrapper. Worked just fine.

I took the 4 screws off the bezel just under topp of dash, and have some play with now with bezel, but it doesnt seem to want to get loose all around....its a 1988 ford ranger some bozo stuck a radio BEHIND the bezel and not secure it...so need to replace it, but can't get old radio out thru bezel I am scred I am going to vreak it,,, tried to find a utube viseo on how to..no luck

remove the two small screws under the bottom of the bezel, then carefully snap the rest of the brackets off. the radio should come out with it.

This thread is from last year. I think the original poster may have already figured it out by now. On the 4 door Explorers from 2002-2005, I know for a fact that there are no screws holding this bezel in place. Also, +1 on someone else's suggestion of using a butter knife. No marks!

On the 1996 xlt there are 2 small screws on the front on the facing. these are practically hidden near the botton. once you get those out, and pull the radio out (which is still attached) there are two screws on the right side that hold the radio in.

On the 1996 xlt there are 2 small screws on the front on the facing. these are practically hidden near the botton. once you get those out, and pull the radio out (which is still attached) there are two screws on the right side that hold the radio in.

All fine and good, but this section of the bulletin board is for 2002-2005 Explorers, which are a different animal than a 1996 model.

Back